The Autocourse Top 10 2012

For me honestly i'd go with this:

1. Alonso - brilliant season the car he had he shouldn't have been in contention for title.
2: Hamilton + Vettel - can't choose between them
4. Raikkonen - great comeback season.
5. Hulkenberg - great season and beat a strong team-mate.
6. Button - had a decent season could have been better.
7. Perez - 3 excellent podiums and secured a drive to Mclaren for 2013.
8. Schumacher - beat Rosberg a fair bit this year, much better season from the former 7 times world champ.
9. Kobayashi - had a good season was in the points and a podium to boot.
10. Rosberg + Massa - Rosberg for breaking his winning duck, Massa for a strong end to the season :).

I wrote a thing back home on muzz about my top three drivers of the season and why. I'm not a Vettel basher and think he was totally worthy of becoming triple champion, I wouldn't have any trouble with seeing anybody else rate him as the best but by my reckoning Raikkonen, Hamilton and Alonso were more impressive this year.

I think I eventually ranked them....
1. Alonso
2. Raikkonen
3. Hamilton
4. Vettel

One Heidfeld beard hair between 1st and 4th

the rest are in formula 1.5

I do tend to feel that Raikkonen's comeback is a bit under-rated.

Beat four drivers who had better cars, finishes third in the championship, completes every lap bar 1 this season, and scored in every race apart from China.

I'm sure one of the "elite" 3 had done it, it would have got more recognition.

The top 4 are a bit hard to rank though.

1. Hamilton - consistently out-performed Button, apart from in Australia, can't seem to find a fault in his season, apart from in Spa, where he put up Button's telemetry, but that was off-track.

2. Raikkonen - coming back after two years with no testing and having to drive a car with specs that have changed from the last time he's raced. Finished 3rd in the championship in a car that was the 4th fastest.

3. Alonso- Luck incredibly went his way in the first half of the season, but once it had gone, it showed the battle he had to overcome. Had everything on his side, apart from a better car. But he got the maximum out of it until the end, an awesome effort. His Samurai shit needs to stop though, that belongs to Kobayashi.

4. Vettel - Out of the top 4 guys, I do think he made the most mistakes this year. They were minor, but they stand out. Penalties for speeding under yellow flags in Spain, penalty for passing Button off track in Germany, team should have told him to let Buttman through, and the penalty when he repaid Alonso the favour at Monza. Put in some awesome drives, not talking about just his wins, but Spa, Abu Dhabi and Brazil, kept himself in it all the way through.

If it wasn't the for the relaibility problems for both Hamilton and Vettel, it would have been a straight shootout between them.

5. Hulkenberg - Matched di Resta during the early part of the season, but results didn't go his way. After Singapore though it was just sheer domination against his team-mate. Was contending for a win, and put in some incredible drives in the latter half of the season.

Gets a bit more messy as no one really shone apart from these guys.

6. Schumacher - Reliability problems plagued his early season, as did a shit car in the latter half. Ifs and buts here, but if he didn't have all the problems in the first part of the season, he would have been in the championship hunt come Valencia. The pole lap in Monaco showed that the Boss still had it.

7. Rosberg - Was consistently consistent from China to Singapore, then the Mercedes fell away, and the drivers couldn't impress.

8. Button/Webber - Good first half of the season for Webber, poor for Button, reverse that round for the second half of the season.

10. Kobayashi - Had more points scoring finishes than his team-mate and earned his podium on pure pace alone rather than through strategy. Had to retire when in the points a couple of time too.

No Maldonado? No Perez?

Yes, both were inconsistent, which really is an understatement. Both hot heads that got caught up in several incidents, and only shone a couple of times.

According to Simon Arron the Top 10 is:

1. Alonso
2. Vettel
3. Hamilton
4. Raikkonen
5. Button
6. Hulkenberg
7. Webber
8. Perez
9. Maldonado
10. Ricciardo

For his rationale you'll have to buy the book but suffice to say he had trouble choosing between 1, 2 and 3.

Interesting. The top 10 F1 drivers in Autosport's annual Top 50 Drivers list were (with overall position in brackets):

1. Alonso (1)
2. Hamilton (2)
3. Vettel (3)
4. Button (5)
5. Raikkonen (7)
6. Hulkenberg (12)
7. Webber (20)
8. Perez (24)
9. Kobayashi (28)
10. Maldonado (30)

Back
Top Bottom