Cricket The Ashes

FB said:
At least it shouldn't be too late a night :snigger:

I'm getting sick of operating on Oz time.

*Edit - too much over indulgence over the festive period + late nights/early mornings and I look like this.

ug-wm-1.jpg

Well there's a surprise, Ricky Ponting has been ruled out of the final test with a poorly finger. Saves the Australian Cricket Board having to sack him for being a 3 times Ashes looser :D

FB said:
Well there's a surprise, Ricky Ponting has been ruled out of the final test with a poorly finger. Saves the Australian Cricket Board having to sack him for being a 3 times Ashes looser :D

LOL

Found out what's gone wrong for Australia - Ricky's lucky white cap has been washed with his red socks...

_50650771_010931834-1.jpg

BTW - I do know why pink is being worn and am not trying to belittle a very good cause.

On a knife edge right now, we really need Cook to get a hundred. Collingwood if you want to keep your test place you need big runs, the stage is yours

Brogan said:
I thought England had won?

Why bother playing the remaining matches?

At the start of this final test, England were ahead in the series, two tests to one. If Australia win this final test, the series will finish 2-2. Whilst this would still mean that England would retain the Ashes, the series would have been drawn.

If England either draw this final test of the series, or more preferably win it, then England will have won a test series in Australia for the first time in over 20 years.

Beating the Aussies, rather than just drawing with them, is always worth bothering with! :)

OK now I'm really confused.

How can the match end in a draw if England have already won which means they get to retain the ashes?

Brogan said:

How can the match end in a draw if England have already won which means they get to retain the ashes?

It's a best of 5 series. England have already won 2 games, drawn 1 and lost 1.

The best Austrailia can do is tie the series with 2 wins. As England won the last series we are the holders of the ashes so for the Austrailians to regain them they have to win outright.

If this match is a draw England still have their 2 wins compared to Austrailia's single win with the remaining 2 games both draws. This means we would win the series outright which gives us bragging rights over the aussies.

If we win this game we win the series 3-1 and can really give those antipodeans grief for years to come!

Brogan said:

You are confusing match with series ;)

Collingwood, you tit!

3-1 :D Well almost, only a total disaster or a day of torrential rain will prevent England winning the final game in the series.

On the way England have scored the 2 of the highest innings totals on Austrailian soil. 620-5d in Adelaide and last night in Sydney they racked up 644.

The original Ashes trophy was created to signify the end of English cricket when Austrailia came over to us in the late 19th century and promptly destroyed us on home soil. Now we have finally done the same to then I think a new trophy needs to be created to mark the end of Austrailian dominance.

Fantastic result! :thumbsup:

First series win for England, in Australia, in 24 years! England are the first side in History, anywhere, to win three tests by an innings, in one series away from home. And Andrew Strauss becomes only the third England Captain to win Ashes series home and away. :cheer:

Just hope that this is just the beginning... onwards and upwards!

Rumour has it that the lads had been seeking guidance from a master...

Andrew Strauss probably said:
We'll try our best, to win 'down under'...
129fs238648.gif

“Do or do not... there is no try.”

Back
Top Bottom