The 2014 Formula One non-WDC

Yeah, forgot about that one. Peter Warr in his book claims that Lotus had to give Peterson older sets of tyres to slow him down. I'll dig the exact wording out, later.

teabagyokel I agree Mclaren incompetence helped but things at Ferrari really turned sour for Eddie when he realised how great it was to win races and lead and they tried to muzzle him

When you have not won the drivers title for 20 years you ought to be even more motivated to win it but Todt and Brawn's response were indifferent which probably angered DI Montezemolo

Remember it was Di MOntezemolo who recalled Schumacher not Todt or Brawn after the missing tyre fiasco at Nurburgring. I always wonder if Ferrari did not win the constructors that year and the driver's championship the year after would Todt and Brawn be sacked because 5 years with no success is not tolerated at Ferrari

Would this suit BE?

24 Races
12 Cars
24 Drivers
All the drivers have a go twice in every car.
All drivers are paid from a central fund based on previous years championship position plus points bonus this season.

Andretti and Peterson in the Lotus

Mario easily had the measure of Peterson in 1978. I know it's a popular perception nowadays that Peterson was somehow faster that season but it's simply not true. Just look at the Qualifying Positions;

Andretti Quali - 1, 3, 2, 4, 4, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 1, 2, 1, 1 - Avg Grid Spot = 1.86
Peterson Quali - 3, 1, 12, 6, 7, 7, 2, 4, 5, 1, 2, 1, 2, 5 - Avg Grid Spot = 4.07

Mario out-qualified Ronnie 11-3, taking 7 Poles to Peterson's 3

Andretti finished ahead in 6 of the 7 races they both finished, and looking at the Lap Charts there are only a handful of races where Peterson spent a significant amount of time in P2 behind Andretti. Here they are;

Belgium - P2 for Laps 40-56 and 67-70
Spain - P2 for Laps 53-75
France - P2 for Laps 10-54
Holland - P2 for Laps 1-75

I don't doubt that for a period of time in one of those races Peterson may have been a little quicker and was stuck in position behind the Lotus team leader, but to say that he was faster in 1978 is just erroneous.

I think that Peterson's tragic demise at Monza plays into this phenomenon. And also having one of those involved in the incident, James Hunt, shaping the perception of the 1978 Campaign factors in as well. Hunt rarely had anything positive to say about Andretti and on several occasions derided his title. We know how he ostracized Patrese about Italy 78 and I have no doubt that he harbored personal misgivings about his role in the accident. Helping perpetuate the myth that Peterson could/should have won the 1978 Championship was his way of making amends, I believe.

Back
Top Bottom