The 2011 cars

Grizzly

Bear
Contributor
Maybe can have a place for some technical discussion of the new cars.

With just a couple of days before the first launches, we should soon have some juicy new carbon kevlar composite to drawl over and speculate.

Three major changes come our way this year with the new tire suppliers pirelli, the move from front adjustable wings to rear stalling wings, and the return of KERS. There are several other less major changes en-route with the absolute exclusion (we hope Ross) of the double diffuser for example.

All the top flight teams have arrived with new innovation and design in the last couple of years, much of which has been as a direct result to the continued mix-up of the regulations, keeping the designers on their toes and promoting great design over great budget.

Into our third year of the new core regulations we could well see the budgets begin to reign in the designers as many of the best possibilities have now been learned throughout the field no doubt, however with the continued mix-up and additions we have been and are subject to, there is still hope for the lower budget 'Neweys' out there.

Enjoy the launches and the first test, then bring the discussion back here!

I think these are vaguely correct - probably not tho LOL

Team and car launch

• Red Bull Renault RB7 ______ Feb 1st __________Valencia
    Ferrari "Project 662"___________Jan 28th _________Maranello
    McLaren Mercedes MP4-26______Feb 4th_____________Berlin
    Mercedes W02________________Feb 1st___________Valencia
    Renault R31__________________Jan 31st___________Valencia
    Williams Cosworth FW33________Feb 1st____________Valencia
    Force India Mercedes VJM04______________Not until Jerez test
    Sauber Ferrari C30____________Jan 31st____________Valencia
    Toro Rosso Ferrari STR6________Feb 1st____________Valencia
    Team Lotus Renault T128___________?_________________?
    HRT Cosworth F111____________Current car in Valencia & interim car at Jerez
    Virgin Racing Cosworth VR02___________Not until Jerez test

Italy doesn't appear to be that unified right now. :bored:

Berlusconi's latest televised rant >:( was particularly amusing but I can't imagine it made him more popular and go any way toward appeasing his critics. :goodday:

Speshal, thanks for that list. I've taken the liberty of making another copy, in a slightly different format; hope you don't mind.

Jan 28th - Maranello:
Scuderia Marlboro Ferrari "Project Italia Futura"
Jan 31st - online:
Team Lotus Renault T128
Jan 31st - Valencia:
Lotus Renault R31
Sauber Ferrari C30
Feb 1st - Valencia:
Mercedes W02
Red Bull Renault RB7
Toro Rosso Ferrari STR6
Williams Cosworth FW33
Feb 4th - Berlin:
McLaren Mercedes MP4-26
Not until Jerez test:
Force India Mercedes VJM04
Virgin Racing Cosworth VR02
Not until Bahrain test at the earliest (if at all):
HRT Cosworth F111

Chad Stewarthill said:
Speshal, thanks for that list. I've taken the liberty of making another copy, in a slightly different format; hope you don't mind.

You carry on old bean - looks much better than mine LOL

...sorry for not putting the dates in the OP. The list can be slightly updated with regard to Virgin who plan to launch in London on the 7th Feb..

so:

Chad Stewarthill said:
Jan 28th - Maranello:
Scuderia Marlboro Ferrari "Project Italia Futura"
Jan 31st - online:
Team Lotus Renault T128
Jan 31st - Valencia:
Lotus Renault R31
Sauber Ferrari C30
Feb 1st - Valencia:
Mercedes W02
Red Bull Renault RB7
Toro Rosso Ferrari STR6
Williams Cosworth FW33
Feb 4th - Berlin:
McLaren Mercedes MP4-26
Feb 7th - London:<<-- updated
Marussua Virgin Racing Cosworth MVR02
Not until Jerez test:
Force India Mercedes VJM04
Not until Bahrain test at the earliest (if at all):
HRT Cosworth F111

Well, the Ferrari launch is live on their website now. Featuring the translator with the most ridiculous voice in history!

Courtesy of Autosport http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89112

1296207166.jpg

1296207622.jpg

1296207641.jpg

I'm sure it's very different to last years car but it doesn't look it. The FIA really need to reduce the number of vanes allowed on the front wing as well. Alonso should run the car round Fiorano today for some "promotional filming"...

Congratulations to Ferrari on being the first to get their 2011 car ready to launch, obviously:

Chief designer Nikolas Tombazis explained: "This car is just the first step; the entire body will be changed.

"We will have changes visually and also in performance for our first race."

So I'm guessing they are mainly after the limelight...

Hmm, so in fact it sounds as though Ferrari have done exactly the same thing as McLaren, although telling us different all the while and revealed an interim car :rolleyes: :D

I like the new graphic, but where's their oily rag sponsor gone? I wonder if Marlboro will stay true to their $billion deal?

teabagyokel said:
What is that flag on the back wing for?

The car is called the F150 or (Project Italia Futura) as it's the 150th anniversary of Italian unification - hence the tricolour.

If Ferrari is so vital to Formula One and its worldwide fanbase, why is it attempting to alienate all of its fans outside of Italy with this nationalistic claptrap...

Seems to me di Montezemelo's political ambitions are being allowed to be bigger than Ferrari and that cannot be good for them.

teabagyokel said:
If Ferrari is so vital to Formula One and its worldwide fanbase, why is it attempting to alienate all of its fans outside of Italy with this nationalistic claptrap...

Seems to me di Montezemelo's political ambitions are being allowed to be bigger than Ferrari and that cannot be good for them.

You've got to admire their sense of humour though, the flags positioned so you can only see it when they're running away :)

Oh' gaw'd they're getting political......... again..

Be careful Ferrari, you've been here before, remember you are a race team not the law. Oh' no hang on...

In fairness to Ferrari they are an Italian team so why shouldn't the car their countries national flag. There has always been a discrete (less than sometimes) tri-colour on the car, now it's just a bit more prominent.

312T with tri-colour on the airbox

Villeneuve%27s_Ferrari_312T4_%28paddock%29.jpg

312T5 with tri-colour running the full length of the cockpit.

For all the faults Ferrari have let's not criticise them for being proud of their nation and heritage.

I quite like the flag, just as i like to see Union Jacks on British cars, but the naming and the declared reasoning for it is what concerns.

They've done this before, got too tangled in politics, and it wasn't until Brawn and Schumacher arrived they got over it, for once I'm hoping they don't make the same mistakes again.

FB said:
312T5 with tri-colour running the full length of the cockpit.

For all the faults Ferrari have let's not criticise them for being proud of their nation and heritage.

OK, I'll take my comments back about the flag (but not about Luca getting involved in Berlusconi-land and using Ferrari as his vehicle)

My problem is they're ugly, really...

Back
Top Bottom