The 2009 British Grand Prix

teabagyokel

#dejavu
Valued Member
With the British Grand Prix just days away, it is time for a discussion thread on the last British Grand Prix*.

If you've got a bit of time, try the British Quiz. It'll take you shorter than it took me to write it!

Who do we think will win the British GP? Will there be more pain for McLaren? Did Santander only sponsor it because there's a corner called Abbey? Will it rain? Is Button's run about to come to an end?

Personally, I think sod's law dictates that Button will not win this race, and Barrichello's at his best circuit, so has a good chance. Red Bull look so close to a breakthrough, and the predicted inclement weather for qualifying could favour the energy drink guys!

As for McLaren, write this one off and count down the days to the Hungaroring, boys. You're in it for the long haul!

at Silverstone (thanks MzR)

Well I'll take a wild guess and say that it will be a Brawn or a Red Bull that wins :whistle:

In a way I'm hoping for some inclement weather as that always seems to inject a bit of excitement into the proceedings.

Here's the head to head for Rubens and Jenson at Silverstone. Click for larger version.

Attachments

• rvjsilverstone.png
    rvjsilverstone.png
    219.2 KB · Views: 292
teabagyokel said:
With the British Grand Prix just days away, it is time for a discussion thread on the last British Grand Prix.
I think you've mistakenly* missed out the words "potentially" and "At Silverstone"... Didn't you??

I have a feeling that Ferrari will be strong. I predict an incredibly exciting race, loads of over taking, three teams vying for the win (Brawn, Red Bull & Ferrari) and I think McLaren... well, I may be pushing things a bit but saying anything other than they'll struggle will push the boundaries of reality too far!

OK, back to reality, I suppose Brawn or Red Bull will win. And if it rains then Vettel will win.

* Please, let it all be one big mistake!

McZiderRed said:
teabagyokel said:
With the British Grand Prix just days away, it is time for a discussion thread on the last British Grand Prix.
I think you've mistakenly* missed out the words "potentially" and "At Silverstone"... Didn't you??

* Please, let it all be one big mistake!

That was a Freudian slip. I'm fed up of this btw, I have every faith in Donington! ;)

I'm serious about the quiz though!

McLaren are to do testing tomorrow with and without KERS.

World champion Lewis Hamilton is to experiment without KERS in Friday practice for the British Grand Prix, with his McLaren team wanting to conduct back-to-back tests about its benefits.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76286

I wonder what the difference will be between the 2 cars.
Finally we'll see whether KERS makes an improvement to the McLaren or not.

I may be a voice in the wilderness here but I for one won't miss Silverstone one bit. Apart from Mansell in 87 Silverstone rarely produced a good race and I miss the days when the race cycled between Brands and Silverstone. Pity it didn't just stay at Brands.

I hope that Donington will be ready on time as I think it will be a much better spectacle than Silverstone ever has been.

p.s. can I introduce you to my new avatar - the man, the legend that is Jean-Pierre "Jumper" Jarier. Seen by my own fair eyes taking a wizz in a bush at Brands in 1982 whilst sharing a picnic with the Osella mechanics in one of the campsites around the circuit. Didn't think it an appropriate moment to ask for his autograph!

p.p.s great quiz TBY. Thoroughly enjoyed getting most of the answers wrong.

Brogan said:
So in P1 Lewis is 8th and Heikki 12th.

I think that answers the KERS question.
But the time difference is only 0.4sec, which I would expect to be the difference between the drivers anyway. I think there's no advantage (on a single lap) for McLaren's KERS, but at the same time there's no overall disadvantage in running it either, if that makes sense. The real advantage comes at making a good start/holding off quicker cars.

i finally found a stream to watch the practice and when i did, our adrian was like 2 or 3. to recover from that i had a refreshment or 2, making me fall asleep and missing the whole session.

these british GP's are tricky!

bogaTYR said:
i finally found a stream to watch the practice and when i did, our adrian was like 2 or 3. to recover from that i had a refreshment or 2, making me fall asleep and missing the whole session.

these english GP's are tricky!

Firstly, English GP! There may be some in Wales & Scotland who might disagree with this... (although why they should is anyone's guess!)

Aside from questions of our schitzophrenic nationalities, I can see the excitement of Sutil being 2nd or 3rd. Its like Sato passing Alonso in Canada '07!

Alas, it will not last. He'll be scrabbling near the "bubble"* at the end of Q1 today!

*what bubble, Mr. Brundle?

With you there TBY; "on the bubble" winds me up as it means nothing along with "Pole Sitter", perhaps someone paid to be seated on Robert Kubica?. Is this perhaps something for another thread or maybe a game of "Buzz Word Bingo" during qualie and the race... :)

OK, so Vettel is on pole. I've been proved wrong with fuel load guesses before but I feel Webber is probably heavier than him.

Only thing that happens every week is Alonso on fumes! Qualify 10th and finish 8th? Naw, say Renault, qualify 8th and finish 12th, that's much better!

But the big mover today is ?? ??* who seemed on fire, although he was slightly fortunate to top Q1! I feel sorry for the people who went out in Q1 because they had no chance to put a time in really. Suddenly Lewis is building up for his hot lap and
[bg=#FF0000]0:24[/bg] comes up. What an escape for the undeserving Heikki Kovalainen!

Anyone know why Buemi was running that out/in lap at 24 secs of Q1, was he just getting a feel for the track. I hear he had restricted running this morning.

Soon the fuel will talk!

*Kazuki Nakajima, thanks Wikipedia

Yes, the red flag was most unfortunate timing for Lewis but in the interview afterwards he seemed to hint that it was unlikely he would have got through to Q2 anyway.

For the first time this season we have an unusual looking grid.
Has Rubens stopped sharing his set up data with Jenson? That's the impression I got from what Leggard and Brundle were saying.

It will be interesting to see what the fuel loads are.

I feel that Lewis was the man on the screens at the time (as usual) but Fisi looked faster than Heikki throughout and was equally unfortunate.

World Champion Lewis Hamilton, out in Q1 for the third consecutive race... Nothing stays the same!

not to mention adrian, what a padaboom that was!

but LH slowly starts to get odd. i cannot remember any WDC who stayed at the same team having this turn of fortune. plus, i never before saw a WDC on a friday training session using this flowviz stuff again. what on earth is going on in amcca?

Weights have been published.

Pos  Driver                 Weight
1. Sebastian Vettel 666.5
2. Rubens Barrichello 657.5
3. Mark Webber 659.5
4. Jarno Trulli 658.0
5. Kazuki Nakajima 652.5
6. Jenson Button 657.5
7. Nico Rosberg 661.5
8. Timo Glock 660.0
9. Kimi Raikkonen 654.0
10. Fernando Alonso 654.0
11. Felipe Massa 675.0 *
12. Robert Kubica 689.5 *
13. Heikki Kovalainen 695.5 *
14. Nelson Piquet 682.5 *
15. Nick Heidfeld 665.5 *
16. Giancarlo Fisichella 668.0 *
17. Sebastien Bourdais 687.5 *
18. Adrian Sutil 692.0 *
19. Lewis Hamilton 666.0 *
20. Sebastien Buemi 672.5 *
* Declared weight

Vettel heaviest so therefore fastest overall.

Button and Barrichello on the same weight? That might cause problems during the race if they both have to pit at the same time.

wowww vettel!

surprising that. will be an interesting start. and look at our adrian, he attached the ole fuel sidepods! kovy even filled his drink containers with fuel from the looks of it.

Back
Top Bottom