Pre-Season Testing starts soon

Just came across this:
former Ferrari chief has pointed the finger at departed Ferrari driver Fernando Alonso following the Maranello team's recent troubles.

Legendary designer Mauro Forghieri, a key Ferrari figure from the 1960s to the 1980s, said the Spaniard cannot simply blame the team for his failure to add another title to his tally since joining in 2010.

"If for three or four seasons in a row the car has the same problems, that means you are not developing in the right directions, and it's the driver's fault," Forghieri told the Italian website diariodelweb.it.

Alonso, widely credited as the best driver in F1 today, has returned to McLaren for 2015, despite clashing badly with the British team in 2007.

McLaren's acting CEO Jonathan Neale told the Mirror: "There has been a lot of speculation about our relationship with Fernando last time, but we can confidently put that to one side and say we are just here to get the job done."

Forghieri, however, is less confident about Alonso's place within a team.

"Alonso is a great race driver," he said, "but not a good test driver.

"Each year, when he shook the car down, he said everything was perfect, then after a few months he began complaining. A real champion is the one who is able to manage the team."

He said Alonso therefore does not compare with Ferrari's last great driver.

"Ferrari's problem in the last few seasons," claimed Forghieri, "was not having another Schumacher."

http://www.foxsports.com/motor/story/f1-ferrari-fernando-alonso-critiqued-013115

Last edited:
Glory run for Sauber today. :whistle:

1. Felipe Nasr Brazil Sauber-Ferrari 83 laps 1m 21.545s
2. Kimi Raikkonen Finland Ferrari-Ferrari 65 laps 1m 21.750s
3. Nico Rosberg Germany Mercedes-Mercedes 125 laps 1m 22.047s
4. Felipe Massa Brazil Williams-Mercedes 62 laps 1m 22.276s
5. Pastor Maldonado Venezuela Lotus-Mercedes 70 laps 1m 22.950
6. Carlos Sainz Spain Toro Rosso-Renault 107 laps 1m 23.183s
7. Daniel Ricciardo Australia Red Bull-Renault 18 laps 1m 23.920s
8. Fernando Alonso Spain McLaren-Honda 32 laps 1m 35.553s

Are Mercedes holding back or have Ferrari actually managed to find some power. They have been consistently faster so far. Yes I know it's the 1st test and it's meaningless.

Both, Ferrari have nothing to gain from being fast this early, unless they want to show that Arrivabene (I'll learn to spell his name eventually) has started well
Edit: I got it right!

I don't think that these early tests are as meaningless as they used to be, given how curtailed testing is throughout the season. Having said that, I also don't think that anyone is going to show their complete hand this early.

In any event, it does appear that Ferrari has closed the power gap by a considerable margin. I certainly hope that to be the case. Otherwise, this season will be another dull affair with only the intra-team "competition" to hold one's attention.

So far Mercedes have seemed to do long stints rather than go for glory. It could be that when the headline times were made Mercedes were running two seconds or more per lap in fuel loading. Or maybe Ferrari were going out on full tanks but only doing five laps.

We will know more after the Melbourne qualifying.

I have always liked Kimi for his candor. Unlike several other drivers I could name, HE doesn't consult his PR adviser before opening his mouth. GO KIMI!!!

Just a general thought. They go testing in Spain during the winter because of favourable weather conditions. Yet every year they never seem to enjoy one full day's testing that isn't affected by rain at one point or other.

Interesting comparison for you. Combined times for Jerez first test from this year and from last year below it.
The Mercs were a second off the pace last year as well and we know what happened there.

The teams have also found 3 seconds of pace down the back of the sofa.

2015 combined results
screenshot.29.jpg

The 2014 Jerez combined times

The stats for the first test of 2014.

1. Kevin Magnussen Denmark McLaren-Mercedes 1min 23.276secs 162 laps (3)
2. Felipe Massa Brazil Williams-Mercedes 1min 23.700secs 133 laps (3)
3. Lewis Hamilton Britain Mercedes-Mercedes 1min 23.952secs 121 laps (3)
4. Jenson Button Britain McLaren-Mercedes 1min 24.165secs 83 laps (2)
5. Kimi Raikkonen Finland Ferrari-Ferrari 1min 24.812secs 78 laps (2)
6. Valtteri Bottas Finland Williams-Mercedes 1min 25.344secs 42 laps (2)
7. Fernando Alonso Spain Ferrari-Ferrari 1min 25.495secs 173 laps (3)
8. Nico Rosberg Germany Mercedes-Mercedes 1min 25.588secs 188 laps (2)
9. Nico Hulkenberg Germany Force India-Mercedes 1min 26.096secs 17 laps (3)
10. Sergio Perez Mexico Force India-Mercedes 1min 28.376secs 48 laps (2)
11. Daniel Juncadella Spain Force India-Mercedes 1min 29.457secs 81 laps (4)
12. Jean-Eric Vergne France STR-Renault 1min 29.915secs 45 laps (3)
13. Adrian Sutil Germany Sauber-Ferrari 1min 30.161secs 103 laps (3)
14. Jules Bianchi France Marussia-Ferrari 1min 32.222secs 25 laps (4)
15. Esteban Gutierrez Mexico Sauber-Ferrari 1min 33.270secs 60 laps (2)
16. Marcus Ericsson Sweden Caterham-Renault 1min 37.975secs 12 laps (2)
17. Sebastian Vettel Germany Red Bull-Renault 1min 38.320secs 11 laps (2)
18. Kamui Kobayashi Japan Caterham-Renault 1min 43.193secs 54 laps (4)
19. Daniil Kvyat Russia STR-Renault 1min 44.016secs 9 laps (4)
20. Daniel Ricciardo Australia Red Bull-Renault 1min 45.374secs 10 laps (4)
21. Max Chilton Britain Marussia-Ferrari No Time 5 laps
22. Robin Frijns Netherlands Caterham-Renault No Time 10 laps

If the McLaren was fastest last year in testing then it just goes to show what a load of bollocks the times posted are.

Which in fact I also said last year but everyone rallied round and told me I was the one talking bollocks, I'm looking in your direction Hamberg. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom