Tennis Tennis Hawk-Eye

GermanF1

Race Winner
Contributor
I hope there are some tennis fans around here, because I was having an intense discussion with my father over the whole Federer-Isner match about this Hawk-Eye related question.

Player A hits a first serve and no one calls it out. Player B returns the serve in a way that player A can not return the ball.
That means it is 0-15!

Now could player A make a challenge, indicating that his first serve was actually out, in order to serve again (second serve), if his challenge would prove to be successful?
So in general: Can you challenge a call or non-call that was made (right or wrong) in your advantage in the first place?

I hope you guys know what I'm talking about. I think player A should have the right to challenge, even though it seems to be stretching the spirit of the rule:)

Hmmm, an interesting question.

So the serving player wants to challenge their own serve and have it called out as they lost the point.

I have no idea on that one, I don't think I've ever seen it attempted.

I agree, player A should be able to challenge this
It reminds me of when a player returns a ball that was out, if it's out then the return even if perfectly in will not count

Hope that makes sense

What you've described could be seen as a 'loophole' and it wouldn't make sense if it was allowed. It would be rather silly for a player to challenge his own serve so i very much doubt its allowed :)

After reading this many times I have finally got my head round it, I don't think it should be allowed because it wasn't called at the time of the incedent, and do the rules say you can use hawk-eye against yourself?

Strange, it seems that the ATP rulebook doesn't even mention Hawk-Eye, but maybe I am just too tired. Nevertheless I found this rule:)

8) Vomiting
If a player is vomiting, the chair umpire must stop play if vomiting has spilled onto
the court, or if the player requests medical evaluation. If the player requests
medical evaluation, then the physiotherapist should determine if the player has a
treatable medical condition, and if so, whether the medical condition is acute or
non-acute.
If vomiting has spilled onto the court, play must not resume until the vomit spill
has been cleaned appropriately.

I would have to assume that a player can challenge the call, as it is very likely that he/she would have known the serve was a fault and would not have made a real effort to play the return.

At the top level, which you're talking about, most of the players would be well aware if they hit a long serve - even fractionally.

Hawkeye is there, I believe, to stop an incorrect call giving an advantage to a player in winning a point, which this situation covers. :thinking:

Edit: but the challenge would have to be immediate, in that he/she stops and makes no attempt to reach the return of serve.

Very good question, I not sure it could be done, don't quote me on this, but I'm sure it's only allowed for calling the opponents shot out, and your own shot in.

But unlike F1, I'm not sure anyone would try this loophole.

Very good question...intriguing. :thinking:

Back
Top Bottom