FIA Technical Directive 15: Use of exhaust blown gasses to be restricted (or not, as the case may be)

If the EBD is "illegal" why don't the FIA just get on and ban it?
How can it be illegal? The FIA could have banned it in the regulations before the start of the season if they had wished, since its existence was known already from 2010, but they chose not to. On top of which, every team running such a system this season has had it declared legal by the scrutineers in four races already.

Its not illegal.And to say that the enginers can work round it that is not as easy as it sounds.The Lotus Renault is designed around this principle, thats why its exhausts face forwards
The RB7 is designed around this principle.
Neither of these two teams have any data or any idea of how to set the car up without it operating.
Changing the parameters mid season is nothing less than deliberate handicapping.

I used the word "illegal" in inverted commas to question whether it was or not but based this on the quote Enja posetd from the Autosport article:

This effectively means that any team found to be using off-throttle blown diffusers could be in breach of the famous Article 3.15 of the technical regulations that outlaws moveable aerodynamic devices.

If the FIA are considering the blown exhaust to be illegal and choose to define it as a movable aerodynamic device (I'm struggling with that concept but, ho hum, what do I know) then it should be banned immediately.

As to whether some teams will struggle if it were banned, tough luck, the FIA sets and enforces the rules. Renault had their Mass Damper banned and I'm sure the car was deisgned around them using that, ditto the Ferrari double floor and, going back in history, the Ligier JS19 had to have 30% of it's skirts cut off and the car handle like a bag of crap from that day on.

I'm not saying the FIA are right in what they are doing but if they believe the device is not within the regulations then that's the team's problem not theirs. The question is the motivation behind the FIA decision and I doubt we wll ever find out what that is, unless it's simply down to the fact that they don't like Red Bull winning everything. Maybe they should paint the car red...

It pains me to say it but that is good work by James Allen and seems entirely plausible.
If it is the case then it also seems pretty reasonable.

This business of the FIA wanting F1 technology to be relevant to road cars is bloody inconvenient!
I'm going to have to spend the rest of the day walking around in bare feet! ROFL

http://www.pitpass.com/43614-FIA-unsure-how-to-police-new-engine-rule
Uncertainty over how to enforce a ban on elaborate engine modes has forced the FIA to abandon plans to introduce new rules from this weekends Spanish Grand Prix.
Announced during the week, the sport's governing body said it would put a stop to the way teams run their engines before backtracking and stating the rule wouldn't be introduced after all.

Thanks for posting that link, Bro. That explains it very well. I think I understand all this EBD malarkey and the change in the rules now.. :)

wow - that is a good read - even someone who is technologicalmongified like myself got the grasp of it. Seems like the rule change is going to mean that nearly all the teams have wasted a whole bunch of cash trying to develop something. Seems all the teams will be hit equally apart from the Merc - will be interesting to see if they suddenly jump forward in Canada. Maybe we'll finally get to see if Nico Rosberg can do the business.

I feel this could be a massive dent in Renaults season though.

I'm in favor of anything that makes these machines harder to drive.

Could be an interesting shake-up in the middle of the season.

From Twitter:
Charlie Whiting: we're trying to stop "hot blowing" because situation has advanced more and more. Meeting proposed for June 16

The story keeps evolving...

This is just ridiculous:

Another thing out of Whiting briefing was it's open to a team to protest anyone running a controversial diffuser following ruling last week.
Whiting says 9-10 teams running so-called "hot-blown diffusers", so what price a Williams win on Sunday? They are fastest team without one
So if Williams or any of the other teams protest, up to 10 teams could possibly be DSQed.

:rolleyes:

Either it's legal or it's not, at this point time.

The FIA can't ban it, then reverse their decision, then say it is coming later in the year, then say teams not running them can protest the other teams.

All in the space of 3 days.

It's bloody farcical!

Back
Top Bottom