FIA Technical Directive 15: Use of exhaust blown gasses to be restricted (or not, as the case may be)

Here's the official notification from the FIA.

2011 FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
BRITISH GRAND PRIX

The measures which were communicated to the teams this morning by the FIA Technical Department stand for the rest of the weekend.

During Saturday morning’s Extraordinary Technical Working Group meeting, the members discussed the viability of returning to the pre-Silverstone set-ups and strategies.

If the teams are in unanimous agreement, the FIA is prepared to adopt this arrangement until the end of the current season.

FIA F1 Head of Communications

http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/pressreleases/f1releases/2011/Pages/f1-exhausts.aspx

I can't imagine Ferrari agreeing to this as it appears they've benefited most from the changes. Let's see.

Presumably, the teams would also have to agree not to protest, which is what kicked it all off, isn't it?

I hope it stays like it is now at Silvertsone at 4 oclock. It certainly has spiced up things and there is no horrible sound under braking in slow corners. A unanimous agreement is unlikely, but RBR will fuss enought for it to be changed by Germany. They recently have been able to manipulate the FIA in ways not seen since Ferrari in the early 2000s :thinking:

The cynical part of me says Sauber Ferrari engine.Williams new deal with Renault.Looks like a done deal.

I think Sauber were a big winner this weekend with both cars consistently fast. Getting they buy-in, could be quite expensive...

I think Sauber were a big winner this weekend with both cars consistently fast. Getting they buy-in, could be quite expensive...
Sauber today present its new C30 car in Valencia, with the goal of providing greater consistency and more points finishes in 2011. The new C30 features a fully integrated blown diffuser, and the team has been able to sculpt the sidepods more aggressively through fitting its radiators more vertically. Sauber has also opted to use a single mounting for its rear-wing, rather than the twin-mounting arrangement it used on the C29.

The cynical part of me says Sauber Ferrari engine.Williams new deal with Renault.Looks like a done deal.
Been thinking more about this. What makes you think that Ferrari want Sauber to accept the reversal...? Yes they voted for it, but perhaps they did this, knowing that there was a blocking vote in the background?

As for Williams... Just because they have already signed an engine deal for next year, is it safe to assume they will toe that party line at the expense of constructors points and cash this year? Also they have a history of intransigence... They were nowhere before the ban...

The other point on Sauber is that there is much more to the blown diffuser than the ott that is for now at least banned. Saubers updates will still play on throttle.

Breaking news is that the teams have failed to reach agreement on the way forward.

So what now after the British GP?
Will any of the teams protest this race, or any other future races?

So Ferrari changed their minds and voted against the proposal.So Sauber simply went along with them as you would expect.
Williams with an eye to the future voted in favour.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92998
AUTOSPORT's sources have revealed that Ferrari and the Ferrari-powered Sauber team refused to sign the deal to return to the Valencia specification.
There had been speculation that Cosworth engine user Williams would do likewise, but it is understood to have been in favour of this solution.

Yes, no surprise that Ferrari voted against, considering how close they are to Red Bull now.

They must be thinking they have a good chance of leapfrogging McLaren and possibly taking one of the championships.

As you were.

Ferrari and Sauber have agreed to ban the ban, so it's back to the same situation as it was at Valencia; Silverstone was just a one off.

Of course, that could all change tomorrow...

The whole saga is ridiculous. I wish they would ban the lot. Furthermore, they should ban blowing the diffuser with exhaust gasses all together. Regulate the position of the exhaust exits. If they do that, then they can let the teams do whatever they like with the engine mapping.

Changing rules in a season is bad enough, but to change again/revert back really leaves the powers to be with egg on face, and shows that they are at the whim of major players. It took a whinge to change and a whinge to change back.............will there ever be an end to the madness.

It is evident that everyone(major players) were all closer to RB in terms of race pace and the lot, so I don't understand why McLaren, Ferrari et al will support going back to Valencia specs, totally beyond me.

Back
Top Bottom