Teams or Drivers?

Do you support the teams or the drivers?

• Total voters

Enja

isn't dead.
Valued Member
Who do you support, and why?

For me it's always been about the drivers ever since I was interested in the sport. They are the ones that utilise the machinery they are given, they are the ones desperately trying to overtake one another at hundreds of kilometres an hour, who react in milliseconds to cars struggling to get out of control.

I'm not interested in cold, bland global conglomerates like McLaren, Ferrari and Mercedes. They mean nothing to me. Yes, there are some great characters involved in those companies and in those race teams, but as a whole, I don't find them likable or supportable. Yes, I want their cars to do well if it means my favourite drivers can have the opportunity to do good things in the sport.

But from the moment the car is on the track, it is down to the driver. Yes, the engineers tell them to do certain things, yes, a huge organisation in the background helps with monitoring and strategy, but none of it means anything if the driver can't deliver.

I don't get excited about seeing a McLaren against a Ferrari. I get excited about the characters within those cars, who are subject to the seemingly permanent modern idea that all sports personalities are bland. Not when they're doing their job, when they're doing what they were born to do. It wouldn't matter what cars they were in, I want to see the best drivers go wheel-to-wheel, that's why I watch F1.

I don't care about the WCC either. For me it's a nice contribution to the rest of the team that give the foundations for the drivers to do well. The argument that the WCC was the original championship is irrelevant, this is the modern era. As fans we remember the drivers, the races, the battles, the drama, not the work the aerodynamicists do at 3AM in the morning, not the guy who monitors the brake temperatures, we remember the relentless pursuit of excellence from drivers across the field and the results that ensue.

But I'd like to know what people think, because I realise a lot of people support teams no matter which drivers are involved. The Italians love Ferrari, and that is a deeper point, for another thread, that is a nationalistic pride and fanatical support for a lasting legacy.

So I go back to the original point.

Do you support teams, or drivers, are you a 'fencer' and why?

THIS IS NOT IN STRICT REGARD TO THE FERRARI INCIDENT AT HOCKENHEIM TODAY. Please try to remove that incident from your thoughts.

Drivers always. The only thing for me - that's the only no-no for team orders, it gets in the way of proper contest.

Drivers, always has been. I've got as much loyalty to a team as most of the drivers have (except Massa. ;))..

I was tempted to put both but I've decided to just go for "Teams" alone. You all know which team I support and I'll support whoever happens to be behind the wheel for them. There are many other drivers whose skills I enjoy watching but at the end of the day I want to see a Lotus win (not that that is going to happen any time soon).

It's a bit like swapping football teams every time your favourite player moves clubs. The teams are a constant, they are always (well for the most part) around and remain as drivers come and drivers go. I can understand why people want to follow one driver but when that driver retires where do you go next?

It's a difficult problem for teams that don't really have a heritage within the sport (one of the reasons of course why 1Malaysia Racing use the Lotus name). It's far easier to become attached to a driver than it is to a team like HRT or Virgin who have only been in the sport for 5 minutes.

I have always supported specific drivers. Having said that, if the drivers I support aren't in the picture, then there are teams I would like to see prevail (this was more true in the past, particularly when the Chapman run Lotus was around).

I find this a particularly interesting question now, with all the new fans brought into the sport with the arrival of Hamilton. His fans seem especially rabid and make me wonder how they would react if he were to leave McLaren and drive for the Red Menace.

siffert_fan said:
His fans seem especially rabid and make me wonder how they would react if he were to leave McLaren and drive for the Red Menace.
I think that's a bit unfair towards all Hamilton fans.

I would agree that some of Hamilton's fans are rabid, just as some of Alonso's fans are rabid and some of Schumacher's fans are rabid, with probably the same situation for all other drivers' fans.
Unfortunately it's those type of fans which shout loudest and hence get noticed more.

Personally I'm a mixture of both.
I've always liked McLaren and Williams and now I would like Force India to do well.
In the past I have supported various teams such as Lotus, Jordan, Arrows, etc.

As for drivers, like it or not, I tend to support British drivers but also Finns and quite a few of the current crop.
After hearing Karun in the commentary box on Friday I really would like to see him given a decent chance in F1.

I don't think I'm too Rabid, I even had the jab when I went to China :o

Onto topic, I've voted for both. I have always supported McLaren, and on the drivers front, Hill, Coultard, Jenson, and now Lewis. I guess you can see a general trend?

I do support Lewis over Jenson, but not too the detriment of Jenson. Why? Purely because I think Lewis is fantastic, talented and exciting. Saying this I still love to see Jenson doing well.

If Lewis were to go to Marenello? I would be devastated I admit, but that is more because at the moment all my support is bundled into one basket.

Would I like to see Lewis, driving for McLarens biggest rival, winning and beating McLaren in the process? Difficult decision. If I am honest I am not sure how I would feel.

I guess thats an interesting possibility in the future and we will find out if necessary :)

*edit - damn you danby! LOL

^^^^^ That's fighting talk Bro ;)

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

I've gone for both in the sense that some of my favourite drivers happen to have driven for McLaren and this season is a little bit "speshal" as we have 2 British WDC winners in a British team.

I'm an out an out Lewis fanboy tho since go-carts (yeah really) just a quality driver who can have a chuckle once in a while

It didn't take me long to decide to vote for teams. As a Brit, I naturally follow the British drivers, but ultimately it's McLaren that I favour. (Even when David Coulthard was driving for them! LOL )

I used to support the driver, end of, and then support all British teams. Recently though, I support McLaren regardless of who drives for them.
I relisheded Mika Hakkinen winning and was disappointed when Eddie Irvine lost, but still relished McLaren winning! :1st:

And, for what it's worth, My original thought was stolen by C_a_T:

cider_and_toast said:
It's a bit like swapping football teams every time your favourite player moves clubs. The teams are a constant, they are always (well for the most part) around and remain as drivers come and drivers go. I can understand why people want to follow one driver but when that driver retires where do you go next?

.. I was going to post that! LOL

I've gone for both, but I wouldn't class myself as a long-term "fan" of any one driver or team. In general I like to see the underdog doing well, but then I'm not averse to the odd individual piece of brilliance or masterclass. And I like to follow certain individuals who I think are exciting or capable - not just drivers but team members too - and sometimes transfer my allegiances to some extent when they move teams.

Have I ever been a Ferrari fan? No, then for a while yes, then for a long time no, and now...a little bit I am, actually!

cider_and_toast said:
I can understand why people want to follow one driver but when that driver retires where do you go next?

In my case, you never really follow a particular driver that closely again!

For me it is drivers with teams a very distant second.

After watching the Brickyard 400 today, I have to wonder if the team is a European disease. For those not in the know, Chip Ganassi racing (a great achievement today, winning the Indy 500, Daytona 500 and Brickyard 400 in the same season) runs cars in the Indy series and NASCAR which is fine but I don't think it would even be a consideration for Montoya to have given a place to McMurray (who won today, well done) or vice versa. I only raise it as Coulthard was making such a big deal about team cars etc but the Yanks seem to be able to separate the role of the team from the individual so I wonder if maybe there is something to learn from that.

Here is a devils advocate question (and I am not advocating this, just asking the question), would it really be the worst thing if the teams Championship were to be scrapped?

For me i voted neutral pretty much for the same reasons as G has already stated but particually it's nice to see an underdog pull one out of the bag every now and then :D however, whilst it's easy like with most sports to form an allegiance with a team or driver(s) it's the technical aspect that fascinates me as well as watching a race on a sunday. More the thirst for knowledge and understanding of how a car is conceived and developed by all the extremely talented engineers and the other people within a team that make it happen and then watching arguably what are considered to be the best drivers in the world at that time push it to the limits.

Teams. CaT expressed it perfectly, thanks mate.

I said it before, to me F1 will forever be a golden black JSP Lotus screaming down the main straight, no matter who the driver was. But I am partially to orange cars too.

I've gone for the neutral option. I've never been able to buy into the whole "well he or she is British so you must support them" notion as in most individual sports the person involved doesn't represent they country. International team sports and events such as the Olympics are obvioulsy different.

Like anyone I have likes and dislikes in terms of teams and drivers (for example Nigel Mansells drove me up the wall - not literally of course) but I hope I am mature enough to rise above the "fanboy" element and enjoy motor racing for the sport.

Just as an aside, how many who probably aren't Alonso fans enjoyed him winning back to back titles in 2005 and 2006? My main reason for enjoying these was because he broke Schumacher's strangle hold on F1, not because I don't like MS but simply because his dominance was bad for the sport.

Yes I was definitely one of them FB, and was cheering for Alonso throughout those whole 2 seasons. The Brits like an underdog don't we?!

A straightforward answer; for me it has to be the team, as it was a team I chose to support over 40 years ago at the tender age of about eight.

Not from parental guidance or national default, so I cannot explain why I made the choice of Ferrari all those years ago ….
...... probably just preferred the look/colour of the cars the first time I watched. :)

Being Irish, I have allowed myself a little bit of support for the likes of Watson and Irvine as drivers and Jordan as a team, in the past, but the over-riding allegiance to the Prancing Horse has endured through good/bad times.

I think the football analogy is a good one; drivers come and go, retiring or transferring during their careers, but the teams, mostly, go on regardless.

FB said:
Just as an aside, how many who probably aren't Alonso fans enjoyed him winning back to back titles in 2005 and 2006? My main reason for enjoying these was because he broke Schumacher's strangle hold on F1, not because I don't like MS but simply because his dominance was bad for the sport.
Same here FB.

Although I did feel sorry for Schumi when his engine blew at Japan and then he got a puncture at Brazil.
What rotten luck and a terrible way to lose the championship.

It has generally been the driver for me, but not necessarily a case of following a driver throughout his career, regardless of the team they drove for. Like Galahad, I tend to follow the underdog, and then choose to remain with them through greatness, or migrate to another up-and-coming type.

For what it's worth, this is my list of main favourites:-

80-81 Jones
82-86 Rosberg
87-91 Nannini, Herbert, Alesi
92-96 Herbert, Alesi (also following Villeneuve in CART)
96-97 Villeneuve, Herbert, Hakkinen (also following Zanardi in CART)
98-01 Hakkinen (also following Zanardi, then Montoya in CART)
02-05 Montoya, Alonso
05-10 Alonso - Though really struggling to defend him now, and probably looking for an alternative.

ramilas1 said:
I think the football analogy is a good one; drivers come and go, retiring or transferring during their careers, but the teams, mostly, go on regardless.

I'm not so sure. It's only Ferrari that have lasted throughout, the next up are McLaren and Williams.

Think of those with WDCs and WCCs to their name that have passed on (Brabham, Lotus, Tyrrell, etc) and those '2nd favourite' teams that are no longer going (Minardi, Jordan, Toleman, Osella). With football, you can follow a team after relegation, and watch them rise again. F1 is a different kettle of fish (much more survive or go bust), and fans can often change team allegiance due to a driver coming in, or a change of ownership, which isn't going to happen in football.

Hola. I'd like to say I'm neutral but it's not that easy. One could not really call me a supporter either as such. The technical side has fascinated me for as long as I can remember - before 1960 is a bit foggy as I was only little - when Airfix model racecars and bikes grabbed my attention and Stirling Moss was known to anyone old enough to read their brother's motoring magazines.

As for the human endeavour the whole package still amazes. Whether you're talking about the engineers, designers, drivers, managers or even the ancillaries, more than any other sport F1 brings the cream of human talent into one arena. The best drivers are athletes of the highest calibre and their brain power is simply awesome. The engineers, technicians and designers are some of the cleverest people on the planet and I have to add that, arguably, the managers have to be that bit special as well because they have the responsiblity of handling all those talents and egos.

Then to see and hear the product of all that in action ... well it's what keeps us watching isn't it?

So, who do I favour? Right now it's more case of who I don't. Right now I'm recovering from an accident in the care of my family but I fear that when I get home I may well be trashing my collection of Ferrari models (in spite of the many £'s and hours they took to build) and mailing the debris to Maranello. Hopefully, I will have calmed down by then.

Back
Top Bottom