Susie Wolff

Susie Wolff born 6 December 1982 in Oban is a British racing driver from Scotland. She has progressed through the ranks of motorsport, starting off in karting, then moving up to Formula Renault and Formula Three before moving to the DTM to compete for Mercedes-Benz since 2006. In 2012 she was signed by the Williams Formula One team to work as a development driver and she is still in that role.
She lives in Ermatingen, Switzerland with her husband Toto Wolff, since January 21, 2013, executive director of the Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team. The two were married in October 2011.

Susie is aiming to be the first ever woman since 1976 and Lella Lombardi to race in F1.

She has her own TV program on Sunday 24.3.2013 BBC2 8pm : Driven: The Fastest Women in the World.

Her race record is none to impressive at zero wins, and you would have to say she would not deserve a drive based on that alone. However it is way beyond time that a woman driver should be in F1 and if Susie can open that door which has been closed since 1976 then I say good luck to her and I hope she gets a drive in a decent car.

Screen Shot 2013-03-22 at 08.05.03.png

To go back to a point cider_and_toast and toast made about Suzie having the chance to drive in Endurance or other formulas, there is a simple explanation why she hasn't been in any of these cars, Toto doesn't run the entry.

I don't dislike Suzie but she only got the drive in DTM and at Williams because of who her husband is. There are many more talented female drivers out there but when you get drivers of limited ability such as Suzie Wolff getting the opportunity because of who she knows it sets back the cause of women drivers rather than improving the situation.

I wish I could be politically correct at this moment but men and women are different biologically, and for whatever reason women are generally not as skilled as men in motorsports. How do I know? I own a race track where men and women compete on equal grounds every day. I also coach women at my kart racing school and I compete against women in karting and in car racing. They just aren't as quick and no amount of cries of sexism is going to change that. And by the way, my wife, who is an SCCA racing champion, will tell you the same thing.
Just curious. Where's this race track located?

I have observed some pretty dire male drivers as well as all these super heroes . Most of them young, going for the adrenaline rush, and they frequently end up dead, taking a few innocent bystanders/passengers with them.

The fact that it took two years of simulator work before she was able to run in FP1 tells you all you need to know. I agree with you on all your points FB. I guess I was trying to say that with her family connections she had more opportunities than most to open a few doors. Her entire ambition seemed to be centred on F1. If she was genuine about competing as a serious racer she could have looked at other options. As has been said, the fact of the matter is, she simply wasn't good enough.

Tatiana had a bit of a drab season this year after a really good 2014. The move to Carlin was suppose to be her push to the front this year but it didn't turn out like that unfortunately.

So Bernie Ecclestone was recently quoted as saying that female drivers "would not be taken seriously" and "would not be physically strong enough" in F1.

You'd expect the only female in recent times to have got any F1 track time to completely rally against comments like that right? No. She came out and defended and said those comments were correct when 'taken in context'.

Well done Susie you are now officially useless.

I think it's likely that Susie knows there isn't a female pilot out there that could even compete with the Haryanto's of the world. The worst thing that could ever happen to female racing drivers is for one of them to be thrown into F1 without being ready.

As has been pointed out before, Danica Patrick did perfectly well in a car without power steering.

Well done Susie. Don't want to risk upsetting someone your husband needs to keep in with now do you?

Anyone see Susie on C4 after Bahrain when they decided to interview the race winning constructor's team principal? It was very awkward.

Basically, she stood there for about two minutes while Steve Jones and Maaak Weybah were interviewing Toto, looking very sheepish. She then asked Toto a question, to which he replied "I cannot hear you," and proceeded to lean forward and check the earpiece. Weybah jumps in, "Do you often have selective hearing problems with Susie?"

Brilliant TV.

Back
Top Bottom