Surviving in F1

This thread is about survival and long term with the increased costs then the current midfield teams will struggle even more, only Williams seems to have the stability to survive but if they go down the constructor-customer route I don't think Williams could support one.

The Times reporter in the Sky warm up program now saying 3 cars teams are coming for Red Bull and Ferrari if Marrussia and Caterham don't make it back to the grid for 2015.

F1Yorkshire The likes of Williams, Lotus, Force India and Sauber are the ones who are against customer teams, They all operate on a smaller budget than the big guns but have good design teams and produce competitive cars all by themselves (all are either race winners under their current names or under previous ownership). They want to design their own cars but the moment F1 goes down the customer car route some nobody with a few tens of millions of pounds can turn up and beat them all as he's just inherited a Red Bull/Mercedes/<insert name> chassis. The same goes for three car teams, the moment they're introduced it makes the lives of the midfield teams much more difficult.

Completely agree with you sushifiesta, they are against that policy as it will mean the end for them as an individual team but if F1 carries on as it is then it could be the end for them anyway.

The Times reporter in the Sky warm up program now saying 3 cars teams are coming for Red Bull and Ferrari if Marrussia and Caterham don't make it back to the grid for 2015.
Greenlantern101 If the rumours are true 3 car teams is the beginning of the end.

Simple question as assume the 3rd car will be able to generate revenue, what happens to F1 if & when another team enters and the 3rd cars are therefore no longer needed, will teams like Ferrari and RBR then reduce to a 2 car team and reduce revenue.

The reason F1 is in trouble is their reluctance to reduce their income for the good of the sport, 3 car teams is exactly the same problem waiting to happen.

Last edited:
I've just mentioned on the Marussia thread that they could be back for Abu Dhabi & 2015, also just noticed a tweet saying theres new interest in Caterham on the back on the crowd funding appeal. If both teams come back then no need for three car teams.

I don't know if this is a crazy idea but what if only the midfield teams were allowed to provide customer cars? It might not be feasible with their facilities but if the likes of Force India and Sauber etc. could sell cars for a profit it would close the budget gap between them and the top teams as well as giving the opportunity for some lower budget teams to survive.

Last edited:
Not sure where else to post this but just found an interesting snippet in the sporting regs. I was looking to see if there's anything in the regs that state Marussia can be there as an entry without actually physically having the car at the track but couldn't see anything but I did however find this:

APPENDIX 7
ENTRY FEES FOR THE 2014 FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
i) The winner of the 2014 World Championship for Constructors will be required to pay a basic
fee of US$516,128 plus US$6194 for each point gained in the 2014 World Championship for Constructors.

ii) Every other competitor will be required to pay a basic fee of US$516,1281
plus US$5161 for each point that competitor gained in the 2014 World Championship for Constructors.
In both cases the basic fee is due at the time of the application and the remainder by 30 November
of the year prior to the year to which this application relates.

Obviously if Marussia do make it to 2015 then it will cost them over half a million to race. What is more surprising, for every 1-2 that Mercedes scores it will cost them another $250k to race. Surely it's more cost effective for them to retire both cars now that they have sewn up the title.

Perhaps the real reason behind double points are the increased entry fees generated by them!

Where do they pluck such seemingly random figures from? 516,128 and 6194? also, why does the winner have to pay 6194 when the runner up and everyone else pays 5161?

Another bizarre regulation

Back
Top Bottom