Stoffel Vandoorne

Its been announced this week that Belgian Mclaren development driver Stoffel Vandoorne will return to the GP2 series in 2015 again driving for the ART team. Vandoorne is hoping a successful championship year with ART will be the pathway for him to get into F1 for 2016, preferably with Mclaren, but is that actually really likely to happen?

Vandoorne’s potential is not in any doubt. He won the F4 Eurocup title in 2010 and then had a close tussle with Dani Kvyat in Eurocup 2.0 in 2012, a tussle he eventually won and took the title. In 2013 he jumped up to the WSR 3.5 series and scored a win on his debut. He scored 4 wins in total with 10 podiums in 17 races, all this in the much unfancied Fortec car as well. He was piped to the title by fellow Mclaren development driver Kevin Magnussen who had already done a year in the series and was driving the all mighty DAMS car. K-Mag landed himself an F1 seat with Mclaren and Vandoorne switched feeder series to join ART in GP2. Once again Vandoorne scored a win on his debut before suffering the same fate the majority of rookies do when joining GP2 and falling backwards whilst getting used to the difficult Pirelli tyres. To be fair to Vandoorne this only lasted for a few rounds and by the time he got to round 7 in Austria he was back up there with the front runners. Unfortunately for him Jolyon Palmer, again in a mighty DAMS car, was already out of sight but he did manage to haul back to 2nd in the championship with a further 3 wins and 5 podiums. He was cost better results by some questionable tactical decision by ART on occasions too, especially when the failed to pit him under the safety car when the entire rest of the field did leaving him in an almost impossible position. Anyone who saw his comeback drive that day can’t have failed to be impressed.

Vandoorne will most likely go into the GP2 2015 season as favourite for the title, even if he does have some stiff competition in Gasly and Lynn (DAMS again!), but will even a dominant season in this series guarantee him a seat in F1? In these times of financial trouble pure talent does not now make it a certainty that an F1 seat will become available. Vandoorne is currently backed by Mclaren but with a lack of so-called feeder teams where would they put him? They already have K-Mag on their books who has been dropped from race seat to 3rd driver for 2015 and they have another talented youngster in Nick de Vries queuing up right behind Vandoorne. With Alonso and Button locked into the F1 seats and Vandoorne not even being next in line is the Mclaren root even a valid one for him to get into F1? On the other hand if he breaks away from Mclaren he has no funding so would a seat become available to him at all then either.

Rumour has it that back in 2013 Vandoorne was approached by Helemt Marko and offered the Toro Rosso seat for 2014. Vandoorne decided he wasn’t ready and that he would stick with Mclaren. That seat then went to his old rival in Eurocup Kvyat who now in 2015 will be driving for the Red Bull A team. Whilst at the time I thought Vandoorne had made a wise decision with hindsight it looks like he may have missed out.

Can F1 afford to miss out on talent like Vandoorne? Are you confident we’ll see him in F1 one day? Have you been impressed by him or do you think he is just all hype? I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Last edited:
well remember how Ron was praising he was instrumental in getting Kevin Magnussen into F1 and bill him as the next big thing and then only to dump him by e-mail

That's Team Single Digits now...

Vandoorne
Ricciardo
Chilton
Vettel
Rosberg
Raikkonen
Grosjean
Ericsson.

Mixed bag. 3 World Champions, 2 pay drivers, a promising youth, a race winner and Domain Grosjean.

Well that Mclaren has been a number 2 for a few yrs now. But as bill says would be hilarious if next year he beat vettel & then says not bad for a number 2 driver

Having seen the apparent state of the 2017 Mclaren I can't help once again feeling sorry for Vandorne. If he'd not had as much loyalty to Mclaren he probably would have been driving that Red Bull by now.

RasputinLives On the converse if he deals with situation better than Alonso and shows leadership qualities where the team would look towards where Alonso appears disinterested and disillusioned then perhaps Mclaren can build a future around him for many years similar to when Lauda retired and Piquet took over as team leader at Brabham

I'd think Mclaren will make sure there is a watertight contract clause on Vandoorne to stop say Ferrari poaching him

A mark of a potentially great driver is how they deal with adversity and difficult situations through their career. So far Vandoorne has dealt well with the "crisis"

Last edited:
Considering what happened at Barcelona Alonco was very restrained; I can think of other current drivers who would have said a lot more.

Bill Boddy Yeah you mean someone like Mansell who would always find something wrong with the car or more recently even Hamilton or Vettel would have moaned at the lack of power

Still Van doorne has so far got his head down and doing what he can

Whilst most people seem to be focusing on how Mclaren Honda's dire new car is effecting Alonso's career, I have to say my heart is breaking for Stoffel Vandorne. He is such a potential talent and has shown such loyalty to Mclaren in waiting for a seat and then this is what he ends up with. The car won't even function long enough for him to be able to show he's better than it.

I can't help but wonder if he looks longingly up the pitlane at Red Bull. If he'd taken that Torro Rosso seat offered him in 2013 he'd prob be in one of those main Red Bull seats by now with a couple of wins behind him.

RasputinLives You mean he might have done a better job than Dani Kyvat and in turn probably delayed Max Verstappen's progress in

The situation maybe dire but I don't think hope is lost on him. Mclaren Honda are not making a good enough case for Alonso to hang around so they have to start thinking that Vandoorne is their future to build the team around even if Button is recalled

Vandoorne sure of McLaren turnaround

For the first time since 2008 they will have to consider 2018 not starting with a world champion driver

Vandoorne like Sainz is too talented to not have a car worthy of his abilities

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom