Squeezegate

Is Schumacher's 10 place grid drop an appropriate penalty?

• Too harsh, F1 is for big boys after all

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Brogan said:
Everyone is equally entitled to post their own thoughts without impunity and I would hope that everyone knows that.
:thumbsup:

:s Without impunity! :o I had better be careful how I put this then... :thinking:

Shouldn't that be with impunity? :embarrassed:

ATL11 said:
There is another way to look at it, Schuey is just poor.

& was he previously just a average driver in a decent car but never threw it away like Seb keeps doing.......

Mercedes have also been blinked to Schuey's ability too! Early in the season they had a competitive car but it suited Rosberg, they changed it to suit Schuey, Rosberg goes backwards as does the team........You've just got to laugh LOL
I'm sorry, say that again while I pick myself off the floor.. :crazy:

Not a personal attack, but seriously, how long have you followed F1? There is no doubt that Schumacher was more than an average driver, much better than Vettel will ever be!!

There is something about the car that just simply does not work, this is probably due to Brawn putting it all into last years car and then originally designing this years car around Button and Barrichello, with Schumacher and Rosberg only taking the drives late in the year.

I agree with F1Yorkshire..

RickD said:
ATL11 said:
There is another way to look at it, Schuey is just poor.

& was he previously just a average driver in a decent car but never threw it away like Seb keeps doing.......

Mercedes have also been blinked to Schuey's ability too! Early in the season they had a competitive car but it suited Rosberg, they changed it to suit Schuey, Rosberg goes backwards as does the team........You've just got to laugh LOL
I'm sorry, say that again while I pick myself off the floor.. :crazy:

Not a personal attack, but seriously, how long have you followed F1? There is no doubt that Schumacher was more than an average driver, much better than Vettel will ever be!!

Since the late 70's, I've never rated Schuey, and it annoys my German friends. He's a good driver that developed a good team around him, to take a strangle hold on F1 & dominate. But was it the driver or was it the car & teams. Yes in a Benetton he did win 2 titles, but this will be tarnished by crashing into Hill & ride heights that brought about the Plank, think it was Spa.

In Ferrari he had the backing of FIA, never had a number 2 to challenge him, and when pushed he:

Crashed in Villeneuve around 97
Never got close to Hakkinen to crash into him
Parked it in Monaco when Alonso was getting the better of him

& this incident in Hungary, when pushed we see the evil side, the one that would happily kill a fellow driver than let him get 1 World Championship point.

It's this evil bit that make me put Schuey in the Average bucket.....

Moves like this happen relativley often, there are often a couple dangerous passes each season. But because Shumi always does this we can't give him the benefit of the doubt. Also the way he blamed Rubens for going the wrong way, was just ridiculous when taking the outside would have made the pass nearly impossible. >:(

sportsman said:
Late 70's Thats interesting. Schumacher's debut in F1 was driving a Jordan in 1991.

ATL11 was asked for how long he/she has been following F1.

I wouldn't go so far to say he was average, but I agree to some extent about ATL11's assessment of the F1 career of Mr Schumacher, M.

The thing that always fascinates me is that, while people love to expound about Schumacher's misdeeds, they never mention, indeed they ignore, the fact that Senna perpetrated all of the same misdeeds.

siffert_fan said:
they never mention, indeed they ignore, the fact that Senna perpetrated all of the same misdeeds.
I was going to post that very thing last night but thought it worthy of a separate thread.
I'm in the "no" camp when it comes to Senna being the greatest of all time....<dons flame suit>

The thing that always fascinates me is that, while people love to expound about Schumacher's misdeeds, they never mention, indeed they ignore, the fact that Senna perpetrated all of the same misdeeds.

I don't disagree; I would just say that we are not discussing Senna here, we are discussing Schumacher. But I have never been entirely comfortable with some of Senna's tactics either, which is why I don't count him as one of my heroes. To know who they are, you don't need to look much further than my username. ;)

Yeah, I don't have a problem with that either. Senna clearly went over the line, mostly when it came to Prost (he seemed much more fair against Mansell, for example). But what you have there are 2 shades of :censored:

siffert_fan said:

Of course Senna and Prost has their moments, both I believe in Japan, first was a clash into chicane to whilst both in McLarens in 89, the following year Senna saw the Red mist going into the 1st corner and took Prost's Ferrari off into the Kitty Litter, and the later being dangerous, I'll give you that...

I can't really think of anything else other than going down was it Hanger Straight @ Silverstone with Mansell wheel to wheel, was it around 91, sorry details may be a little off. But can't really think along the lines of multiple crashes into competitors and tanking qualifying sessions.....

As a licensed Chief Steward I can say what I would have done in this instance.

I would have referred this to the Steward Court and requested that Schumacher be suspended for one race and placed on probation for the rest of this season with the proviso that one violation would result in him being referred for a drivers license review.

To me it should not matter what other drivers have done in the past or even in the same event; what MS did was not acceptable because he willfully and intentionally placed another person in major danger for no acceptable reason. I know of no roadracing sanctioning body that allows running a competitor into a concrete wall. Schumacher's action was far different from forcing someone into a runoff area and should be severely punished.

So much for my first posting on this forum. Fortunately I still have my old fireproofs.

Great to hear a professional's opinion Nomad :thumbsup:

Welcome to the site. Your unique insight into the world of motorsport will be more than welcome here I am sure.

Nomad, just interested, what would you have done with the incident with Ferrari and their team orders last weekend? Always good to have professional opinions on this site and welcome to the site :)

I would have to be privy to the Steward's hearing evidence and discussion to have a valid position. Without that knowledge, all I can say is "that was a bit blatant, wasn't it."

A one race ban or more certainly would have been more suitable. I have never been Schumi's biggest fan - his moves before his 'retirement' were dirty but you could see why he would do it (the Damon Hill incident for the 94 title or the Monaco qualifying in 2006). There was no need for this though. What he did this time was to put his, Rubens and others lives in danger. It was disgraceful and thankfully Barrichello had the experience to avoid such an accident - it may have turned out differently had it been a Petrov or a Hulkenberg in Rubens' position.

That he and and the Mercedes team could stone-faced blame it on Rubens or call it a 'racing incident' was even more stomach churning.

A few people have metioned Senna's similar tatics, and somthing has come to mind, of all the recent 3+ world champions they have all been farily aggressive/unfair. Schumacher and Senna as we have seen several, and Prost of course put Senna out, all be it much more gently. Piquet as well got into a some fights and on track offensive driving. Maybe nowdays you need to be aggrressive ot succesed...

Back
Top Bottom