SPD-Green Coalition Threatens Nurburgring F1 Race

teabagyokel

#dejavu
Valued Member
http://en.espnf1.com/germany/motorsport/story/46576.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

I think we may have had this before somewhere! In good news for Hockenheim fans and Lewis Hamilton, the Nurburgring is on the brink of losing its state funding and hence its Grand Prix.

Of course, the German Grand Prix' rotation should mean it is not under threat, so long as Hockenheim wishes to continue hosting the race.

A similar deal was struck in Japan when Fuji pulled out of rotation and Suzuka has taken the reins.

Didn't they switch to alternate due to funding in the first place? If this happens, can Hockenheim continue to afford to host the race each year?

I'm guessing this may be the final swan-song for the German round of the F1 championship, unless a certain driver gets his act together and re-ignites interest in the sport..

On the funding issue, there was going to be no other outcome with a Green coalition coming to power. Bernie needs to host it just to stick fingers up to these greenwash parties..

Didn't they switch to alternate due to funding in the first place? If this happens, can Hockenheim continue to afford to host the race each year?

I don't think so, I think they banned 1 country, 2 races in 2007 then decided to ignore their own ban for 2008.

Simply, Schumacher retired...

I was under the impression that they agreed to share hosting to spread their losses over a longer period, but I can't find a source for that to hand right now.

It'll go the way of Magny-Cours I fear. If or until Bernie runs out of new countries wanting races, nowhere is sacred. Frankly I don't see why the Rheinland taxpayer should have to pay Bernie either, Green Party or no Green Party.

It looks like we are heading towards a real joke scenario, no races in Germany and France with 2 grand prix in Spain

Just read the comment about not paying millions and billions to F1 - isn't that just what Bernie wants to hear? All the more reason for him to continue to drive F1 East as that's where the money is. I'm not sure if this is posturing from the Green politicians (I doubt it as it's not their way) so bye, bye Nurburgring then. And if Hockenheim, with Mercedes backing, can't afford the race then F1 is off to Moscow, Qatar, Venezuela or Zimbabwe (would he, could he?) as long as they stump up the cash.

Still working through the No Angel book about Bernie but, very simply, he doesn't take prisoners on this sort of thing. Belgium banned cigarette advertising before the rest of the EU, Belgium lost it's Grand Prix. France wouldn't stump up the cash, France lost it's Grand Prix etc. etc.

Just read the comment about not paying millions and billions to F1 - isn't that just what Bernie wants to hear? All the more reason for him to continue to drive F1 East as that's where the money is. I'm not sure if this is posturing from the Green politicians (I doubt it as it's not their way) so bye, bye Nurburgring then. And if Hockenheim, with Mercedes backing, can't afford the race then F1 is off to Moscow, Qatar, Venezuela or Zimbabwe (would he, could he?) as long as they stump up the cash.

Still working through the No Angel book about Bernie but, very simply, he doesn't take prisoners on this sort of thing. Belgium banned cigarette advertising before the rest of the EU, Belgium lost it's Grand Prix. France wouldn't stump up the cash, France lost it's Grand Prix etc. etc.

What's the alternative? Beg with him for leniency? Silverstone did that, didn't get them very far.

European venues simply cannot compete with 'new' economies when it comes to funding F1 events, without public subsidy. If the authorities withhold that subsidy, as they are well within their rights to do, it comes down to trying to do the best deal you can with Bernie, as Silverstone have. Time will tell whether that proves good value in the long-term.

Ultimately most of the sponsors in F1 are European-based, or have a big focus of activity in Europe. The teams need the core events in Europe to justify their sponsors' expenditure. So it comes back to the teams needing to hold Bernie to account (cue sound of axes being ground).

Most of the sponsors are big international companies anyway.They want F1 to go to the new emerging economies as thats where they see their new business coming from.

Most of the sponsors are big international companies anyway.They want F1 to go to the new emerging economies as thats where they see their new business coming from.

Yes, but there were a list of European circuits in FOTA's 2009 proposal!

The only reason the anachronism that is the Monaco Grand Prix is held is sponsorship!

And don't forget there have been dissenting voices in Turkey and China because they can't fund an event no-one gives a toss about!

Yes, but there were a list of European circuits in FOTA's 2009 proposal!

The only reason the anachronism that is the Monaco Grand Prix is held is sponsorship!

And don't forget there have been dissenting voices in Turkey and China because they can't fund an event no-one gives a toss about!

Perfectly true, there was.But that was partly for expendiency.It was much simpler to put a European programme together in the very short time that they had.The logistics for European races are much simpler than flyaways.

Perfectly true, there was.But that was partly for expendiency.It was much simpler to put a European programme together in the very short time that they had.The logistics for European races are much simpler than flyaways.

I'm not sure the teams need to spend the money on 10 'flyaway' races per year. I think, largely, Bernie's reaping the rewards and the teams are taking the costs.

The sponsors expenditure in breaking into the Chinese economy? Not money well spent if there is tarpaulin over the Turn 13 grandstand every year because no-one wants to go.

I'm not sure the teams need to spend the money on 10 'flyaway' races per year. I think, largely, Bernie's reaping the rewards and the teams are taking the costs.

This isn't really a consideration for the main contenders. As long as your team finishes in the top 10 in the WCC Bernie is the one who stumps up your travel costs. I'm sure this will be up for negotiation in the forthcoming Concord Agreement renewal, but for now all the teams have to worry about in respect to traveling is burning out their hard working technical folk.

Exactly right Pyrope.
If you remember free freight and travel costs was one of Moselys carrots for any new team signing up for his budget cap scheme.

This may well be a subject for another thread and if so I'll split it off but it relates to the above points but, I started looking through all the current lengths of contract for all of this year's circuits and I wrote a long list and then I found someone else had already done it - so thanks to Freedo50 over at F1fanatic - but it makes for interesting reading and relates to tby's post about Monaco...

Quite sobering reading

Races contracted until, or beyond, 2014

Bahrain (2016) - Bahrain International Circuit
Australia (2015) - Albert Park
Spain (2016) - Circuit de Catalunya
Monaco (2020)
Canada (2014) - Circuit Gilles Villeneuve
European Grand Prix (2014) - Valencia Street Circuit
Britain (2018) - Silverstone
Germany (2018) - Hockenheimring
Hungary (2016) - Hungaroring
Italy (2016) - Autodrome Nazionale Monza
Korea (2016) - Korean International Circuit
Brazil (2015) - Autodromo Jose Carlos Pace (Interlagos)
Abu Dhabi (2016) - Yas Marina Circuit

Future Races

India (2011 start, contracted until 2021)
US (2012 start)
Russia (2014 start)

This therefore, leaves us with the following list of circuits/races which don't have a long term F1 contract:

No long-term contract

Malaysia (2011) - Sepang International Circuit
China (2011) - Shanghai International Circuit
Turkey (2011) - Istanbul Park
Belgium (2012) - Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps
Singapore (2012) - Marina Bay Street Circuit
Japan (2012) - Suzuka Circuit

Back
Top Bottom