Space Shuttle Endeavour Due To Launch, Monday 16th May 2011

Sorry for sounding dumb here but why are the Cosmonaut, Astronaut and Euronaut all gong back on the Soyuz pod?

Surely it would make sense to use the nice handy shuttle which has just pulled up. I know shuttles don't have the most regular of timetables but it would make sense to use the transport available.

Because the studio doesn't have room to move the cameras away far enough to get both the shuttle and the soyuz in the same shot. The shuttle is outside the big hangar at the moment, you know - where they've got all the really soft sand and the rocks stored ready for when they have to pretend to land on the moon again.

LOL Nice one, Gethinceri.

Sorry for sounding dumb here but why are the Cosmonaut, Astronaut and Euronaut all gong back on the Soyuz pod?

Surely it would make sense to use the nice handy shuttle which has just pulled up. I know shuttles don't have the most regular of timetables but it would make sense to use the transport available.

Actually F1Y, I think they're coming back to Earth via Soyuz because they didn't plan on the Shuttle being at the ISS at this point. If you remember, the Shuttle launch was delayed. Therefore, the schedule for this three man/woman ISS crew didn't include the Shuttle being there. Also, I believe there wouldn't be enough room on the Shuttle for three more Astronauts. Maybe, if they'd planned this then they'd launched the Shuttle with a smaller crew, thus allowing the three ISS crew to return with on the Shuttle...

Of course, this is all just guesswork on my part. :)

Space travel has lost its lusture and is just a waste of taxpayers money. Space exploration and development is another story, not 4 day joyrides.

Yup, with Burt Rutan, winners of the $10m X Prize for the first officially recognised manned space flight by an independent commercial enterprise.:thumbsup:

Endeavour has left the building International Space Station!

Endeavour is due to return to Earth tomorrow, Wednesday 1 June 2011

Endeavour Crew wake up call 10:56 pm BST tonight.
Endeavour De-orbit Preparations begin 2:26 am BST tomorrow
Payload Bay door closing 3:49 am BST tomorrow
Endeavour De-orbit burn 6:29 am BST tomorrow
Kennedy Space Centre landing 7:32 am BST tomorrow

Of course, this is if everything, including the weather, is OK! :)

Endeavour has left the building International Space Station!

Endeavour is due to return to Earth tomorrow, Wednesday 1 June 2011

Endeavour Crew wake up call 10:56 pm BST tonight.
Endeavour De-orbit Preparations begin 2:26 am BST tomorrow
Payload Bay door closing 3:49 am BST tomorrow
Endeavour De-orbit burn 6:29 am BST tomorrow
Kennedy Space Centre landing 7:32 am BST tomorrow

Of course, this is if everything, including the weather, is OK! :)
Very reminiscent of British Rail McZ :D. Hope they land safely!

For anyone lucky enough to have some clear sky's then try the following link to find out when you can track and see the ISS in the night sky. Some very good opportunities in the next few weeks as we often only get to see it for seconds, but from my home I can track it for 5-6 minutes on several occasions.

http://spaceflight1.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/

Back
Top Bottom