Space Shuttle Discovery Set To Launch, 24th Feb 2011

When you see how much planning that goes into a launch and how many mission critical issues there are, it makes you wonder how long it's going to be before reaching orbit is no different to just getting on a plane.

2 seconds left wasn't it?

0 - Space in 6 minutes is pretty cool.

Yep! It were close!

I think I heard them say that a couple of rocket burns tomorrow and Discovery will be lined up to meet the ISS as planned...

When you see how much planning that goes into a launch and how many mission critical issues there are, it makes you wonder how long it's going to be before reaching orbit is no different to just getting on a plane.

Yeah, you're right Bro.

I don't think Mr Branson has yet solved all the "little" issues that commercial space flight might throw up..!
whistle.gif
lol.gif

Are Virgin still pursuing their space program..?
dunno.gif

In the middle of watching it Steve Jobs decided that now was the right time to make me download Quicktime
mad.gif
. Still first time I've seen it live. :)

In case you missed the first EVA (extra-vehicular activity, or space-walk...) yesterday, the second EVA is tomorrow.

2 March 2011
EVA #2    preparation - 12:13 GMT
EVA #2 begins - 15:18 GMT
EVA #2 ends - 21:48 GMT
NASA Television schedule

A 6.5 hour stint*, "walking" in the vacuum of space. I'm not sure what they've got planned, but I just love watching them go about their business with the Earth spinning in the background. Not often that one gets to see that...

*Presumably the astronaut's mummy will have told them to 'go' before they leave, as it's a long journey and there's no stopping for leaks... :unsure:

*Presumably the astronaut's mummy will have told them to 'go' before they leave, as it's a long journey and there's no stopping for leaks... :unsure:

Presumably NASA will have remembered to pack the nappies so they can recycle it back into drinking water ;)

Space travel is like that old dying novalty that some have trouble letting go off. It is not that lusturous venture to the unknown as it used to be.

Instead of spending billions on glorified zero grav joy walks, lets put the money into development to reaching the next frontier.

Back
Top Bottom