So now what...

Nathaniel Wiggers

Test Driver
This is my first season following F1 so I have a lot of questions. My apologies if this is elementary F1 and it is not intended to offend fans.

If the season keeps going as is, Vettel and RBR will have things wrapped up in no time (big assumption I know). So what next? Will teams stop producing upgrade packages; choosing instead to focus (dollars and effort) on the 2012 chasis?

Other than for personal pride is there a fight for 2nd place?

I guess, how "exciting" will the 2nd half of the calendar be if Vettel and RBR have the title in the bag?

Hello Nathaniel (can we call you Nat?). :wave: Rather sound questions in my opinion and deserving of equally considered replies.

It is certainly not unknown for teams to take the strategic decision to divert resources to the next seasons cars if the mathematical probability of sewing up a championship looks to be beyond their grasp. Brawns hold on the 2009 season is a good example as they pretty much dumped their 2008 challenge. The result was probably a surprise to them as much as it was a shock to the rest of the grid.

Points mean prizes and money, so yes all the placings in the championship will still be hotly contested, I think.

The rest of the season should be just as exciting race by race but whether "the championship" will carry the same excitement is a matter of hot debate and we will only feel one way or another as it unfolds.

Other than for personal pride is there a fight for 2nd place?

I guess, how "exciting" will the 2nd half of the calendar be if Vettel and RBR have the title in the bag?

Well, everyone wants to win the races, so they should be pretty competitive and entertaining.
If the season keeps going as is, Vettel and RBR will have things wrapped up in no time (big assumption I know). So what next? Will teams stop producing upgrade packages; choosing instead to focus (dollars and effort) on the 2012 chasis?

There's no rule change, so updates for 2011 will feed into 2012. Some undoubtedly will stop, but its not always a good idea! BMW's stopping of their updates for 2008 undoubtedly backfired.

This is my first season following F1 so I have a lot of questions. My apologies if this is elementary F1 and it is not intended to offend fans.

Nathaniel, please don't worry. We won't be offended by a thirst for knowledge, we were all new one day! Here's a complimentary moustache, :moustache:, and welcome aboard for the ride!

Welcome chap, and what a quality season you chose to start with. As previously mentioned even if Vettel has the title stitched up with a few races to go there may well be still be a challenge for the constructors championship (which tbh is what most teams want more as it earns them $£$£€)

Back
Top Bottom