Head To Head Sir Lewis Hamilton V George Russell

Johnny Carwash

World Champion
Contributor
So with the Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas partnership at Mercedes now over, it’s time for George Russell to get his chance at the Silver Arrows. In what is a highly anticipated driver pairing with these two British drivers, it could be a changing of the guard, or it could be the driver with the most experience prevailing.We could be in for a real treat.
Here is the tale of the tape of the two drivers.

Lewis Hamilton F1 Stats​

Drivers' Titles7
Race Starts288
Race Wins103 (35,8%)
Pole Positions103 (35,8%)
Fastest Laps59 (20,5%)
Podiums182 (63,2%)
Points Finishes249 (86,5%)
Retirements27 (9,4%)
Hat-tricks19
Wins from pole61
Front Row Starts173
Total Points4.166
Total Laps16.436

George Russell F1 Stats​

Race Starts60
Race Wins0
Pole Positions0
Fastest Laps1 (1,7%)
Podiums1 (1,7%)
Points Finishes5 (8,3%)
Retirements12 (20,0%)
Front Row Starts2
Total Points19
Total Laps3.235

At 23 years old, at the very least I would expect Russell to have faster reactions and be better in the braking zones.

I think we have to look at his one off in 2020, no he wasn't as quick in qualifying, in the race he was far quicker an laid low the myth the Merc couldn't overtake as it couldn't get close to a car in front, we are not looking at a rookie in F1, we are looking at a seriously quick driver who has spent his time in a less than competive car for over two years. Lewis has a serious problem unless there are team orders, if it comes down to a Max v Lewis in any race with George right up their backsides Lewis will be told to move over. The crash or move over Max won't work this year as George will be the one pushing the overtake, if they both go out Lewis wins, I think that is the way Lewis will win his 8th, not that he will be faster than either of those two but Max's no overtake or get out of my way style wil be his undoing. Assuming of course the Merc will be quick

Russell is not as good as Hamilton, yet. If Mercedes keep their heads screwed on and both drivers agree it’ll be Driver 1 Hamilton, Driver 1 and a tiny little bit Russell for 2022 then all in on Russell for the foreseeable.
Norris > Russell, just like Dogs > Cats.

Everything will hinge on how competitive the 2022 Mercedes is.

Part of me wonders how well Russell will integrate with the team. He has already experienced working within the garage so he'll know what to expect. He definitely will present more of a challenge to Hamilton but will need to be a team player. Will he accept that role?

The FIA knives are out for Lewis. Whatever he, or the team does will be penalised. I think 2022 is a lost year for them

gethinceri you're probably right, Max isn't as good as Lewis but is quicker, I think the same applies to George, Lewis uses his experience especially in supplying misinformation via radio messages, though this doesn't seem like an atribute it is in these days of mind games and reputations for being a tyre saving driver or any other mythical skill earned or not, todays WDC is not only a quick driver but needs a host of skills and capabilities the drivers of yester year didn't have or need

George Russell i have feeling of 2019 Ferrari here where i can see the media still underestimate Russell in the same way they underestimated they underestimated Leclerc. & russell he performed absolute miracles with that Williams. even going way back to Austrian GP in his rookie year. when excluding new teams of the last decade. 1 of the worst cars ever raced by an established team in recent years. he nearly got it into Q2

but saying that he will win races i believe he will take poles. if we are working off the assumption that the pecking order won't change which is unlikely as we have the biggest rule change since 98. everything but the engine is new. & also i believe he will be a future world champion but in 2022 i dont see him beating Hamilton because he's on a different level to Vettel he can handle pressure in same way Vettel cant. & also he in my opinion is 1 of 3 best drivers of the modern era

also he in my opinion is 1 of 3 best drivers of the modern era
Agree, but Russell may be too. We don't know yet. This whole thing could be Hamilton vs Alonso 2007. Fortunately Toto isn't an idiot and he won't allow a nobody from another team to take the title because of a lack of orders.

Last edited:
The main thing is the car whether it's designed for Hamilton or have they factored the much taller Russell

I think the extra speed coming from Russell will push Mercedes and the roles will reverse where Red Bull are taking on 2 Mercs

They are hoping Hamilton/Russell will take points off each other . I want to see what Russell does wheel to wheel vs Verstappen

Agree, but Russell may be too. We don't know yet. This whole thing could be Hamilton vs Alonso 2007. Fortunately Toto isn't an idiot and he won't allow a nobody from another team to take the title because of a lack of orders.
i think Hamilton v Alonso 2007 is highly possible. but i dont want to put that pressure on him, i think the best way is to weirdly treat Russell like we did Lewis in 2007

The main thing is the car whether it's designed for Hamilton or have they factored the much taller Russell

I think the extra speed coming from Russell will push Mercedes and the roles will reverse where Red Bull are taking on 2 Mercs

They are hoping Hamilton/Russell will take points off each other . I want to see what Russell does wheel to wheel vs Verstappen
I think the 2022 championship will be a one team championship like 2014. I just don’t know which team.

The Red Bull-Mercedes tight battle could continue but I’m skeptical.

George Russell i have feeling of 2019 Ferrari here where i can see the media still underestimate Russell in the same way they underestimated they underestimated Leclerc. & russell he performed absolute miracles with that Williams. even going way back to Austrian GP in his rookie year. when excluding new teams of the last decade. 1 of the worst cars ever raced by an established team in recent years. he nearly got it into Q2

but saying that he will win races i believe he will take poles. if we are working off the assumption that the pecking order won't change which is unlikely as we have the biggest rule change since 98. everything but the engine is new. & also i believe he will be a future world champion but in 2022 i dont see him beating Hamilton because he's on a different level to Vettel he can handle pressure in same way Vettel cant. & also he in my opinion is 1 of 3 best drivers of the modern era
I think that Russell will certainly put the car on pole - I think that, with experience, he will be a quicker qualifier than Hamilton. Where Hamilton will have the advantage is during races - Russell did have a habit of disappearing during races, and Hamilton has the ability to make the car go faster for longer in the races (Of the current crop of drivers, Hamilton is probably the best at making up for an absolute pace disadvantage during the races).

However, what will become critical is if the Mercedes is right at the sharp end. Based on Russell's performances in 2021/2020, if the Merc is, say, the second (or possibly even third) best car, Russell will, put the car on pole. If Hamilton qualifies according to the pace of the car, there would then be a lot of cars between them...

However, that being said, Hamilton also has proven to be a master of wrestling a less than competitive car to higher qualification (e.g. 2009 and 2012) - but in recent years, he has been much less dominant in qualifying.

I think that Russell will certainly put the car on pole - I think that, with experience, he will be a quicker qualifier than Hamilton. Where Hamilton will have the advantage is during races - Russell did have a habit of disappearing during races, and Hamilton has the ability to make the car go faster for longer in the races (Of the current crop of drivers, Hamilton is probably the best at making up for an absolute pace disadvantage during the races).
i hope judging on how fantastic he was in sakhir 2020, it was that he was a victim of his own success because he was only going to go backwards after putting the 8th/9th quickest car into Q3 or 11th on the grid

Hamilton also has proven to be a master of wrestling a less than competitive car to higher qualification (e.g. 2009 and 2012) -
i would add 2019 to that, when you think how close he got to the ferrari with their illegal engine

I think George will be a very strong number 2 in his first season, but nonetheless, a number 2. If Lewis does return he will be at his most focused and it would be a lot to expect of any driver to match him.
The following season George will have hopefully learned a lot from racing with Lewis.

Back
Top Bottom