Senna - First F1 Test Video

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
Courtesy of a link from the McLaren website here's a short video of Ayrton driving a Williams, McLaren and Toleman in closed season testing at the end of '83. I'll let you watch it before making any comments.

Thanks for that FB...

What I can't remember / couldn't understand was why Senna went with Toleman; his summary of the car was spot on but probably generous at the time.

And I can't help myself... the cars just look so much better.

Can't tell the sound... work has pinched my speakers.

Such a sad irony that the first ever Formula One team he drove with was also the last. I never had the opportunity to watch a race with him competing.

That was nice seeing Frank Williams in his prime as well :)

I do like Franks comments to the interviewer about it not being Williams policy to sign young drivers. That seems very odd in this day and age. I suppose that as Frank already had Rosberg and Laffite under contract for 1984 there wouldn't have been a place for him in the team unless he was signed as a tester.

The thought of Senna ending up in a Mclaren for 1984 is also another interesting one.

Was the prospect of driving a non-turbo car one of negative factors for choosing McLaren or Williams at that stage?

I do like Franks comments to the interviewer about it not being Williams policy to sign young drivers.
Yes, that more than anything highlights the huge difference between now and then.

These days they literally have them signed up before they're in their teens.

Back
Top Bottom