Schumacher's Next Two: The Decisive Weekends?

It is a fact that every generation has within it individuals who will be superior to the best of those in past generations. Why? Because they will have the benefit of the discoveries and knowledge of those who have gone before. Over time, the improvements in health care, healthy life-style, education and countless other advances affecting their growth, health, knowledge, understanding and longevity will equip them to be better than their forebears. That is why athletes of today continue to break the records of those of the past.

Would Alberto Ascari get his head round the technology in today's pit? he'd probably have trouble understanding the buttons on Alonso's steering wheel. I now that's an extreme example but ...

The fact is that Madonado proved some of us wrong by taking that Williams to the top step of the podium on Sunday. That was special and my personal jury is still out on how good he is or will become. What I do know is this, most of the young people I have occasion to teach today are brighter and sharper today than young people of the same age groups that I worked with twenty years ago. Their opportunities to shine and surpass the achievements of their ancestors are limited only by our ability to nurture their aspirations and abilities and to provide them with the technical equipment to do the job.

For those reasons I am confident that many of todays grid are at least as good and likely to be better than those greats who have gone before. That is not to denigrate the achievements and qualities of our heroes and heroines of the past. It is in fact a testament to their greatness that the young people who have followed in their footsteps will have learnt a great deal of their craft from the masters. It is a well accepted truism by masters of Martial Arts that their best students will always surpass the abilities of their teachers.

That's only my own humble opinion, mind.

"Take the pebble from my hand and it will be time for you to leave" Fictional Shaolin Priest

No I'm sorry I can't go along with that you are talking about removing someone from an environment that they know and putting them in one that they do not and then expect them to compete on the same level and when they can't this must prove that they are not as good or not as skill full.

If I turn this around and take a driver of today and take them back to the 60's and put them in a car to compete against Fangio and his like I can guarantee you they would be uncompetitive, to be honest I don't think any of them would have the guts to drive those cars at any sort of competitive speed.

Humans may have created and developed greater technology since the 60's but they haven't evolved into superior human beings in the last 50 years. drivers of old had just as good reactions and skills as today's drivers.

The only difference I can see is that today's drivers are probably fitter but that's nothing that a couple of months with a personal trainer couldn't sort out..

All I meant was that if Ascari had been born in this era then he would be competing on the same level as today's drivers, I know what you are saying about the difference between today's youth and yesteryears youth but I don't believe they are any brighter I just think that they start from a higher platform for instance I took a degree in software engineering and my first year was probably on the same level as a students final year when the course I took first started 15 years before. and the people who are taking their first year now are starting at a more advanced level again.

it is just the way of things the more we learn the more we have to pass on and teach our children to inspire them to greater heights than we can ever dream of and so the process will continue not just in academia but also in sports.

I don't think this makes them greater or better it just makes them more advanced.as each generation starts from a higher platform..

And honestly Fenderman I meant no disrespect I wouldn't do that to you or anyone else not intentionally anyway.

Back
Top Bottom