FIA Safety car reform dropped

SC should be moving, groups up the cars, signal for lapped cars to go through pits, lights out on SC and away you go!
1 lap to collect whole field, as much time as necessary for track to be clear/made safe, 1 lap while lapped cars pit = minimal lap wastage.

The lapped cars would have to go through the pits on the preceding lap as once the lights go out, the SC disappears and then the race leader, who would by that time be directly behind the SC, controls the restart.

So lapped cars could be sat in the pits for a long time.

no, they would not sit in the pits, when behind the safety car they take up less than the length of the start/finish straight.

When would they enter the pits?

It can't be on the same lap the SC lights go out as the race leader controls the restart and is at the front.

No, lap before. This will explain everything:
image.jpg

No, lap before.
Then my previous post applies.

They will be sat in the pits for a whole lap.

Edit: Or do you mean they enter the pits and immediately exit once the last car has gone past?
In which case, I see no real benefit to just having them move over and slow slightly. That would potentially save another lap.

Last edited:
Depends on the circuit though. While that would be fantastic in Austin with the wide straights and run-off areas, I scare to think of 5 cars slowing and moving over at Monaco. Unless they start a car park at the Nouvelle Chicane?

Then my previous post applies.

They will be sat in the pits for a whole lap.

Edit: Or do you mean they enter the pits and immediately exit once the last car has gone past?
In which case, I see no real benefit to just having them move over and slow slightly. That would potentially save another lap.
As per your edit. Benefit is it's safer, no mobile chicanes would not exist.

They could always introduce a rule that if you are lapped you are immediately pulled out of the race and told to park it. No lapped cars, no problem. How many cars these days a) finish on the lead lap and b) score points once they have been lapped.

It's an extreme answer but it would work.

They could always introduce a rule that if you are lapped you are immediately pulled out of the race and told to park it. No lapped cars, no problem. How many cars these days a) finish on the lead lap and b) score points once they have been lapped.

It's an extreme answer but it would work.
There have been races where a whole bunch of the midfield have crashed due to poor weather, or some other unforeseen occurrence, and someone who was way back in last place has actually ended up with championship points by just keeping his nose out of trouble and getting the car to the end of the race. Why shouldn't the guy driving for Team Underdog have his shot at earning points when everyone else doesn't finish the race?

Safety comes out picks up the leader when the track is green the lapped cars are waved past but they are allowed to drive at racing speed and not limited to delta times until they reach the back of the queue, safety car buggers off this will save at least some time, which is what this is all about isn't it?

Dash Racing I agree with the sentiment. My answer was part serious and part sacastic. My own personal preference would still be to leave the order as it is and just let the safety car pick up the leader and leave it at that. Every fast car will have to lap a slower car at some point. Why disadvantage those that have already had to fight their way through the traffic?

Or the FIA imposes an electronic limiter that keeps all cars approximately at their pre-incident gap and the race result is, hopefully, minimally impacted... This really isn't a difficult problem to solve.

Motorcycle racers die every year in their chosen sport and nothing is said apart from how sad it is, hardly an Isle of Man TT goes by without a death or two each year but the moment something happens in F1 everyone jumps on a soap box and starts banging on about safety.

Why is that?

The safety car in F1 has **** all to do with the safety of the drivers or how put out the viewing fans are, it is all about the safety of the marshals end of, if you don't like it then tough shit...

Last edited:
I agree with that Mephistopheles which is why it needs to come out, pick up the lead car and everyone forms up behind it, when the obstruction / incident is clear, it pulls in and we race on. No faffing around, no releaseing lapped cars, it comes out, the job gets done, it goes in, race on. It was never broke and therefore required no fixing.

Back
Top Bottom