Rome Grand Prix from 2012

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
Lots of stuff on the web that Bernie has agreed to a second Italian Grand Prix to take place in the streets of Rome from 2012. No course yet defined so let's hope it is a little more imaginative than some of the street circuits we have had to put up with over the years. Maybe this is why Bernie upped the price to Turkey...

Rome Grand Prix

Well it's convenient timing if true bearing in mind the Turkey issue.

So we currently have 2 GPs in Spain (despite them not being interested in F1 at all until a few short years ago) and may have 2 in Italy and yet we almost didn't have even one in the UK and France has already gone.
There's something very wrong with F1...

I've driven in Rome quite a bit and the roads aren't exactly suited to F1.
I'll be interested to find out what the planned circuit route takes.

If it's in the EUR district as reported, then it's not a terribly interesting area for F1 races. I'd love it if they were planning it around the centre of Rome but I just can't see that happening.

At least it could be a possible replacement for Valencia because that track has clearly shown that F1 cars can't overtake on a track like that.

At least it could be a possible replacement for Valencia because that track has clearly shown that F1 cars can't overtake on a track like that.

Ain't that the truth.

With the number of countries seemingly chomping at the bit to join the F1 circus there would seem to be little justification for any country to be awarded two races especially if they are so hoplessly rubbish as Valencia.

Bernie has always gone on record with his love for street races hence his attempts to get street races in London, Paris and Moscow.

By the way, Welcome to the site Life_W12 Happy posting.

France and Canada get dropped and crap tracks like Valencia take their place :crazy: :crazy:

Hermann Tilke will probably get the pens for the track and he can't design street tracks as Valencia shows

Hmmm, I'll believe it when I see it.
I've driven in Rome and the roads aren't exactly F1 car friendly :D

With all the new circuits planned for 2012/2013, Bernie's either going to have to drop half the current ones or the calendar will have to be increased to about 30 races :nah:

It does seem like someone is going to end up disappointed! I think Bernie does want to increase the number of races but I'm hoping that no good tracks disappear. Perhaps FOTA would use some influence? They (and their sponsors!) need entertained fans. Clearly public outcry can have some effect, as with Bahrain (if you don't believe the belated official reason for switching course again) and perhaps even the re-instatement of Canada showing this.
Also I expect some of these to quietly be dropped at some point...

I find it ironic that if they do keep increasing the number of GPs then all the extra cost associated with them will mean the teams need bigger budgets. Sort of puts a hole in all the cost saving measures :D

Maybe that was Bernie's plan all along, force the teams to save money so they can spend it putting on extra GPs ROFL

I don't believe a word of it.
In recent years we have heard a "definite" London GP. Moscow GP.Paris GP none of which ever happened. :crazy:

Paris is Bernie's dream race

As for the number of races, here the 2013 calendar

Australia
Malaysia
Singapore
India
China
Japan
South Korea
Abu Dhabi
Bahrain
Turkey
Monaco
Monza
Rome
Germany
Hungary
Belgium
Valencia
Barcelona
Silverstone
Canada
U.S.A
Brazil

Russia?
Bulgaria?
2nd U.S.A?

25 possibilites there :o :o

Life_W12 said:
Paris is Bernie's dream race

As for the number of races, here the 2013 calendar

Australia
Malaysia
Singapore
India
China
Japan
South Korea
Abu Dhabi
Bahrain
Turkey
Monaco
Monza
Rome
Germany
Hungary
Belgium
Valencia
Barcelona
Silverstone
Canada
U.S.A
Brazil

Russia?
Bulgaria?
2nd U.S.A?

25 possibilites there :o :o

Just to explain - the Chinese will get fed up with making no money and busing people in. Turkey similar. Canada will go as soon as Austin, TX is in. Valencia (or Barcelona) will be a makeweight for a non-European race.

There will be some major outcry if Montreal goes. I will be first in line shouting my head off. Valencia/Barcelona? Couldn't care less if they disappeared...

It will ultimately come down to money.

If Santander threaten to pull out theirs if either of the Spanish GP's are axed Mr Ecclestone won't be amused. Turkey and Canada have given us the most exciting dry races so far this year but action on track is not enough to save them.

Personally I think there is room for all of the new tracks but not all in the same season at once.

There needs to be a core set of tracks which feature every season;

Silverstone, Monaco, Spa, Monza, Hungaroring, Interlagos, Gilles Villeneuve, Melbourne, Rome, Sepang, Singapore and Suzuka.

The additional slots will then be taken up by tracks on rotation;

Valencia/Barcelona, Hockenheim/Nurburgring, India/South Korea, China/Russia, Abu Dhabi/Bahrain, Austin/USA 2 and Turkey/Bulgaria.

That will give us 19 races per season and enough variety to keep the fans and sponsors happy. This will also allow for flexibility should any of the tracks decide they cannot afford to run GP's.

i don't really know reliable this site is. Although ive seen more and more people using it as a source, but this suggests that Spa could be under threat again after poor attendances this at this years GP and now looking to share a grand Prix with another European venue. Ive heard a possibility could be the Nurburgring? but i don't know how that would work considering Nurbrugring shares the German GP with Hockenhiem.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=384999&FS=F1

If so then thats one more space available. Hopefully its not true because Spa is a must on the calendar every year.

F1Yorkshire said:
There needs to be a core set of tracks which feature every season;

Silverstone, Monaco, Spa, Monza, Hungaroring, Interlagos, Gilles Villeneuve, Melbourne, Rome, Sepang, Singapore and Suzuka.

The additional slots will then be taken up by tracks on rotation;

Valencia/Barcelona, Hockenheim/Nurburgring, India/South Korea, China/Russia, Abu Dhabi/Bahrain, Austin/USA 2 and Turkey/Bulgaria.

That will give us 19 races per season and enough variety to keep the fans and sponsors happy. This will also allow for flexibility should any of the tracks decide they cannot afford to run GP's.

I'm ok with that idea expect that I would settle for Montreal and Austin every year and no 2nd US GP. And, I'm an American.

Back
Top Bottom