Renault, Singapore 2008, Flav MK412

GeoffP

Wake me when we’re there
Contributor
I hadn't really noticed before, but how do team managers/principles become driver's managers in F1 - does this not represent a conflict of interests?

Obviously the motivation for this question is the publicity brought about by Flavio's FIA punishment. But I genuinely wondered if anyone would know the answer without clouding the issue with the specifics of Mr Briatore's charming character.

Representing a driver with your team, as a either side I would be unhappy, representing him with another team, as the shareholder/manufaturer/whatever I would say my team principle had better things to do.

As an aside, and again, ignoring Flavio's selling personailty, it does seem that the FIA punishment goes beyond relevance to the crime committed, and so as a follow on to the traditional Renault/Singapore thread and the BBC column - maybe Flav the Chav would be right to appeal the decision to ban his driver representation.

Wow, it hurts to say the silver haired gentleman may have been punished unfairly, and although I think he should be punished to the end of time, it seems that mybe the punishment should fit the crime.

Well for years the whole thing has been a bit like an "old boy's club" and all this has done is highlight it a bit more.

Take Bernie Ecclestone and Max Mosley.
Mosley used to be Ecclestone's team lawyer and is now the President of the FIA.
They are very good friends.

Bernie and Flavio Briatore are also very good friends and have joint business interests outside F1.

How can Bernie sit on the WMSC and pass judgement over his friend without bias?
He then goes on record to say the punishment was too harsh and Briatore should sue.

The issue of simultaneous team manager and driver manager though is very difficult to reconcile.
When Nelsinho Piquet's salary was reduced from $1.5 million to $1 million this year, did Briatore negotiate with himself?
Did he have the teams interests with regards to finances uppermost in his mind, or getting the best deal for his driver and subsequently his commission (20% for the next 15 years)?

It really is a nonsense that 1 person can hold both roles and that much control over a driver.

With regards to your final comment, it would seem more and more people are suggesting the punishment was too harsh.

Ecclestone: Briatore ban too harsh
Di Montezemolo: Briatore ban excessive
Gracia says Briatore ban excessive

I certainly don't think his ban was too harsh wrt to managing a team. I also think the sport would be better with him gone.

But as a legal punishment for his actions I question the relevence of disallowing him from representing drivers. I'm happy with him currently being disassociated, but I feel the naivity of the FIA (poor old Max again) has led them to penalise him in an inappropriate manner and therefore expose their judgement to appeal.

Also, if the FIA banned team bosses from representing drivers...

It is not good for F1 that drives are taken by teams because people doesn't have to bother with difficult manager negotiations. Briatore clearly just wanted a stock of drivers that Renault could tap into without bothering about holding off other teams.

I'd also like to add how much Flav rated Mark Webber that he never got a Renault seat! ;)

Back
Top Bottom