Renault gearing up to supply more teams on the grid

fat jez

Race Winner
Valued Member
Seems like Williams and Lotus are sniffing around the Renault engine factory, which is hardly surprising given the lack lustre performance of the Cosworth engine that the new teams were forced suggested to use.

Source: Autosport

sobriety said:
Williams Renault, now that has a ring to it ;)

So did Williams Cosworth

WilliamsFW07.500x255.jpg

I think most of us expected the Cosworth to be down on performance simply because there has been little or no development on it for the last few years.

Surprisingly it's not as bad as I thought it would be but the main issue is the increased fuel consumption which means the teams have to run with more fuel, hence they're heavier.

This is a bit of a turnaround for Renault who just a few months ago were considering quitting altogether.

Brogan said:
This is a bit of a turnaround for Renault who just a few months ago were considering quitting altogether.

When they threatened to quit, was it just as a racing team (i.e. keep supplying engines) or was it a complete withdrawal from F1 (a la Toyota)?

Brogan said:
I think most of us expected the Cosworth to be down on performance simply because there has been little or no development on it for the last few years.

Surprisingly it's not as bad as I thought it would be but the main issue is the increased fuel consumption which means the teams have to run with more fuel, hence they're heavier.

Can i just clear something up here, Is the Cosworth a a new engine. Because thats my understanding, although based on the previous Cosworth F1 effort. It has been completely re-designed.

On the Renault point, Sound good to me. If the Coswoth is has bad has some people are saying you have got to wonder how long there going to stick around, and if actually anybody would want them.

hasn't worked too mad for the Mercs now has it, Perhaps taking a leaf out of there book?

Andrea_Moda_Rules said:
Can i just clear something up here, Is the Cosworth a a new engine. Because thats my understanding, although based on the previous Cosworth F1 effort. It has been completely re-designed.
The engine currently in use is the CA2010 which is the same base as the 2.4 litre V8 CA2006 Williams used in 2006.
Of course it has been retuned to comply with the 18,000 rpm limit rather than the 20,000 limit there was back then but essentially it's the same engine.

I'm not surprised, Renault have been allowed to tinker with their engine outside of homologation, whereas Cosworth haven't

Muddytalker said:
So did Williams Cosworth

WilliamsFW07.500x255.jpg

So did British Leyland

;)

fat_jez said:
Williams and Lotus are both now saying they are quite happy with Cosworth.

OPTION ONE: Slag off your engine supplier
CONSEQUENCE: The engine supplier focuses its attention on its other customers

OPTION TWO: Praise your engine supplier
CONSEQUENCE: None.

Back
Top Bottom