Record hunter or Glory be thy name?

That seems to answer the Hamiton question.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92829 Lewis Hamilton has admitted that he is concerned about his place in Formula 1's record books if he is not able to emulate the dominant form Sebastian Vettel is currently showing.
Vettel took Hamilton's place as F1's youngest ever world champion when he secured the 2010 title, appears to be on the way to a second straight crown, and after Valencia last weekend has now won more grands prix than the McLaren driver.
Hamilton told the Daily Express that it was extremely important to him that he left the sport as a multiple champion.
"It would massively suck if I only won one world title - massively suck," he said.
"It would feel like a waste of so many years. A lot of people say it's just about participating, but it's not.

"Then you have to look at things, you could be down at HRT F1 and be finishing 20th or worse. I wouldn't be able to race then."

Really?

You know, last year i had the feeling in the last race that Hamilton wanted to do everything to prevent Seb from winning the title. He did everything he could to win, but as soon that win was out of reach he asked for a pitstop. Why ask for a pitstop when you already made one and when your driving in second place?

Hmmm thats interesting stuff said from Lewis - I think I've said before that I've thought that Fernando and Lewis have been so pre-occupied with each other(especially Alonso last year!) that they've almost missed Vettel guzzumping both of them.

Lets face it Seb didn't even lead the title until the very last moment of last season in the middle of Novemeber and money wasn't on him pulling it off that day either - So in the space of 9 months Vettel has gone from being a young promising future world champion to being on the verge of being the youngest ever back to back world champion.

I'm guessing thats got to be a head spin for Lewis who's was suppose to be F1's new chosen one. 2008 seems a long time ago.

Then again you don't know if Lewis listened to all the hype about him re-writing the record books with his 10 world championships and being the richest sportsman ever within 5 years. The record thing certainly seems to bother him from that statement though.

Part of the problem seems to be that mountain of records Schumi claimed - Vettel has made no secret of the fact that he covets surpassing all these, and as the most likely youngest-ever B2B WDC, he's certainly placing himself in a position to at least conquer the foothills of Mt Schumacher. I think what is rankling Lewis so much is that he can't seem to make it out of base camp at the moment, and to have seen his wins tally so rapidly (& imperiously) cast aside by das Finger is all the more cause for frustration/irritation on his part.

Sadly, I believe it is indicative of a covetous and acquisitive mindset, my opinion being bolstered by his choosing a manager famed more for making his clients rich and famous than better sportsmen, and the fact he has chosen to wallow among the glitterati instead of applying himself to his craft. One can only hope he chooses to mind-manage his way out of this currently rather negative slump he's in at the moment - perhaps he should remember that records are not everything? After all - nobody dismisses Moss or Gilles Villeneuve because they failed to win WDCs, do they?

In historical Formula One terms, Lewis still has an eternity to collect dozens of wins and several more championships. The guy is only 26 years old.

A look at the most recent 3X WDC's will show that they were comparatively late starters when it comes to capturing the crown. In 1981, Piquet collected his first Driver's title at 29 years old. Prost finally won his first at age 30, and even Senna was 28 when it became his time to win.

Now obviously it's a different day and age, where drivers are given top seats much earlier than before, but that doesn't change the fact that even the most conservative estimates would put Hamilton in F1 for another 10 years, barring any unforeseen circumstances.

Nothing is certain in F1, and Lewis may never find himself in a dominant car like Vettel, but the odds, and father time, are definitely still on Lewis' side when it comes to building upon his already noteworthy achievements. The biggest reason that I can watch Seb these days and not get too downcast about the future is because I believe the shoe will be on the other foot eventually, with Hamilton having the superior car.

This is probably a good time to link to my post in the Lewis Hamilton thread: http://cliptheapex.com/threads/lewis-hamilton.3031/page-4#post-63636

I stand by every word.

Damn you Brogan, you summed it up perfectly. But I hope that everything you say is wrong and I really don't want to see McLaren go the way of Williams. There can be no doubt that winning WDCs place you higher in the 'all time' list but I don't think that they're imperative, just look at Stirling Moss. However I think Hamilton go through the Alonso barren years and Red Bull will maintain their advantage until the new engine regulations come in or somehow McLaren think just as creative as the double diffuser.

Back
Top Bottom