Poll Rate the Spanish GP out of 10

How did you rate the Spanish Grand Prix?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 5.9%

Votes: 3 17.6%

Votes: 1 5.9%

Votes: 3 17.6%

Votes: 4 23.5%

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters
racefans who also do ratings & is a nice comparison from olegg have current rating of 4.47. so wheres as our is likely to be comfortably the worst rated GP. theres only scrapes into worst top 10

i think 15% of them voters need phyisicatic help. as they voted that 7+ :o

Last edited:
We don't have any on here anymore but we once had posters who could sit through some of the dullest, crap excuse for a race you are ever likely to watch (so shit it would make this Spanish GP look like Spa 1998) and if Hamilton won they'd still rate the race 10/10.

I even started a race poll especially for them:

Oh the memories.

I managed to be in the room with the race on and because it was soooo exciting I have no idea what happened. I played a game on my phone for the entire race.
So I guess that’s a zero

Still not watched it but it MUST rate higher than a zero as Paul di Resta wasn't commentating.

They had Nico Rosberg there all weekend and I have to say he was very enjoyable to listen to.

Nico can get irritating at times, but I thought he was excellent last weekend. Great insight into this generation of car and tires.

Also, he and Martin Brundle had quite an eye opening conversation in regards to mindset during the qualifying broadcast I believe. Martin said something to the effect of when he was a team mate to Michael Schumacher at Benneton, that if Michael qualified 3rd he felt like he had to be 4th. Nico asked why he would have a defeatist attitude like that and I think caught Martin by surprise. I understand where Martin was coming from making that comment, but I thought Nico’s remark demonstrated the difference between a very good driver and a world champion driver. If you don’t believe you can beat your team mate every weekend then why are you there? Clearly, Lewis is a better driver than Nico, but Nico obviously believed he was faster while they were team mates and didn’t settle for being second best in the fastest car on the grid.

but Nico obviously believed he was faster while they were team mates
I doubt he did.

I have partaken in competitive sport (track and field) since I was a teenager and I knew when I entered a competition or race who was going to beat me, based on our respective personal bests.
I still competed though because there's always that chance ...

Does that make me a defeatist?

For me to believe that I was faster than this guy, or could jump further than that guy, I would just be lying to myself.

I doubt he did.

I have partaken in competitive sport (track and field) since I was a teenager and I knew when I entered a competition or race who was going to beat me, based on our respective personal bests.
I still competed though because there's always that chance ...

Does that make me a defeatist?

For me to believe that I was faster than this guy, or could jump further than that guy, I would just be lying to myself.

I think the point here is Nico did not allow himself to believe he was No 2 because you are already defeated mentally if you are 2nd best.

It took him a while to figure it out but he did in the end. People accused him of being weak after cap gate and Suzuka. He came back with more determination although it took everything out of him to do it. Barcelona 2016 was a statement to Lewis as well as Austria 2016 although he got that one wrong. It is not necessary to say he thought he was faster than Lewis but he believed he could beat him.

In fact Nico had a better head to head quali record initially to Lewis so he knew it was possible to beat Lewis

It's an interesting topic and one I covered when we were looking at performance coaching for instructors in the military.

When Bob Beamon utterly destroyed the long jump world record at the 1968 Olympics, the three world class competitors, all of whom had beaten Beamon that year in other competitions, fell apart. The British long jumper and reigning Olympic champion, Lynn Davis couldn't even jump a mark matching his best that year. The American 1960 Gold Medal holder, Ralph Boston and the Russian current world record holder also failed to get anywhere near their best.

Had all three put Beamon's jump out of their minds and jumped the best they could, based on their performances in 1968, they would have all been on for the Silver medal. The trouble was, they were trying to beat Beamon while knowing thst was impossible.

We had to get our Military instructors to realise that everyone should be coached to their own best level and providing they are capable of achieving the standards required, some will do so by 10 percent and some by only 1 but they will still have done their best.

I get what Rosberg is saying to a point though. Brundle should have not worried about where Schumacher had qualified and concentrated on getting everything he could out his performance. Then, once he was satisfied that he'd done everything to his best, then he could have looked to see what his team mate had done.

All good points, and Brogan I wouldn’t call you a defeatist, I would call you a realist. And for 99.9% of people that’s what that attitude is. But for the 0.1% that are at such an elite level, such as being one of only 20 F1 drivers in the world at any given time, I would argue that each one of them better believe they are the fastest driver in the world.

Deep down Nico Rosberg might admit to himself that he isn’t as fast or good of a driver as Lewis Hamilton, but I highly doubt he has or ever would make that admission out loud. And considering he’s one of only 2 drivers to beat Lewis in the same car over a season (unless you want to count Alonso and Hamilton having a draw on points in 2007), I would say he has the right to believe that about himself.

what im about to say applies to normal sport. not current F1 because it is most of the time your going to lose. they are too good. but i mentioned this about bottas him blaming Mercedes for why he lost. even though we all know why & that ive always felt that sportsman are delusional, the best have to be. you have to believe not that your greatest. but you can beat that person to go to them depths of physical & mental energy. because as soon settle for that'll do or have defeatist attitude in F1 your teammate. you wont push the extremes that are required. & whats the point. i went to every big team at bramall lane. even liverpool & man city who are far better teams than blades. we can get a result here

i know a few football managers who are serial winners Pep Guardiola after man city won 6-0 reporter said "so you must be pleased" & pep went on to be very critical of them. Chris wilder of my football club v Leicester we lost but thought they'd played great fans applauded them off couldve won but due to conceding goal of month. it was all very positive & then wilder said "god knows why they were clapped off & when on to list why we were rubbish" as he refuses to let players think losing is ever good enough.

some one above said its what separates the very good from the elite. Schumacher Hamilton & Senna. didnt think if i can just get close & stay in range of Piquet Alonso & de angelis i doing ok. it was im going to be beat them. same in modern times with Verstappen & Leclerc. they didnt settle for giving it a good go. for me as an elite sportsman, you got to deluded & think im going to win. otherwise you might as will stay at home

I will use Button as an example he knew he could not beat Hamilton in quali but he knew if he was near the front of the grid he had a chance in the race especially if it was in mixed conditions. Lauda is another example in 1984 he could not live with Prost for speed and had to rely his craft by finishing pretty much every race but it took so much out of him he basically gave up before the season started in 1985 because he knew he was going to be beaten

Back
Top Bottom