QWC 2011

teabagyokel

#dejavu
Valued Member
Welcome to the 2011 Qualifying World Championship. Here the Saturday results are taken and given points scores, to give a World Championship for Qualifying sessions.

The 2009 & 2010 Champion was Sebastian Vettel of Red Bull, and he leads in 2011. Its not going to take a genius to work out the current standings but here goes.

CTA.jpg

That is Toro Rosso's first point in QWC since Brazil 2009, and Vettel still leads the standings. On to Malaysia in a fortnight with anyone else trying to beg back the rampant German.

Welcome to the 2001 Qualifying World Championship. Here the Saturday results are taken and given points scores, to give a World Championship for Qualifying sessions.

Is there a time vortex at the entrance to this thread..? Or is it my PC's year recognition software that's in flux? :dizzy:

The top 5 from Australia all maintain the same position and double their points. Jumping straight into 8th= is Nick Heidfeld, while Rosberg, Kobayashi and Buemi retain the distinction of scoring their teams' whole tally!
CTA.jpg

CTA.jpg

Another 25 points for Sebastian Vettel, uninterestingly extending his ridiculous lead. Mercedes and Nico Rosberg were the big winners this week, Nico retains 6th place but moves into the top group while Schumacher joins the Championship in 11th. Mercedes take 4th in the Constructors' race from Lotus Renault, however.

The most notable thing this week is Petrov being above Massa!
CTA.jpg

Welcome our 9th team, Williams, to the board. Webber leaps into 3rd position and closes on Hamilton. Have a graph of the QWDC:

CTA II.jpg

Vettel's gap is huge and just keeps growing, as we knew! Webber's overtake Button by some speed since China though! Here's the same graph from a constructors' perspective:

CTA III.jpg

It is a surprise that McLaren are closer to Red Bull than Ferrari. It also shows how one good race for the Lower teams (in this case Toro Rosso in China) can really give you the edge!

I have an explanation to make this week. QWC, in general, factors out grid penalties but Lewis Hamilton did not technically (for these purposes) pick up a grid penalty.

Instead he had his time deleted, so his position in this week's QWC is 9th place as listed by the FIA.

CTA.jpg

No surprises at the top, but Hamilton's mad session gives Webber the advantage and brings him only 2 points clear of Button.

CTA II.jpg

Massa is back past Petrov, whilst Schumacher is ahead of Heidfeld too. Maldonado has really given Williams a lift in the last two quali sessions:

CTA III.jpg

Williams move into 7th in the QWCC, while Red Bull get further away!

And you thought he had a big lead in the WDC?

CTA.jpg

Welcome to the party, Adrian Sutil. That leaves Rubens Barrichello and the Lotus, Virgin and HRT drivers as the only ones on zero.

CTA II.jpg

Vettel will surely reach 200 next week, Massa is yet to catch Rosberg, Schumacher is yet to catch Petrov. The top 10 maintain a significant lead. Alonso has passed Button, however.

CTA III.jpg

I don't find it too difficult to state that there is little to be learned from this graph!

From Lewis Hamilton's perspective, he's not only dropped further back for 2nd, he's lost 3rd too...
CTA.jpg

Now both Red Bull drivers have a sizable margin, and Alonso passes both McLarens
CTA II.jpg

That Ferrari/McLaren gap closes again!

CTA III.jpg

So Vettel does not qualify in the top 2 at home:

CTA.jpg

Of the first 18 drivers, only one name remains missing. Barrichello.

CTA II.jpg

Hamilton retakes 3rd position while Asrian Sutil makes up significant ground. Petrov moves back to scoring ways to stave off Schumacher, while Massa takes more points out of Rosberg.

CTA III.jpg

Very little seems to ever move on this graph, but Ferrari's charge to take second place is put on ice, and that blue line looks not quite as steep on both graphs!

CTA.jpg

So Sebastian Vettel moves to 251 points, more than any team bar McLaren.

CTA II.jpg

Button moves back towards Alonso, Rosberg moves further from Massa, and Sutil gets closer to his team-mate, Maldonado and Heidfeld.

CTA III.jpg

Force India move clear of the 'pack', McLaren restart pulling away from Ferrari and Red Bull continue their launch into the stratosphere.

TBY... These are great illustrations of the relative qualifying performance over time - but I had a small request/idea. It's very difficult to tell what's going on at the lower end of the distribution, and because you've got Red Bull romping away at the top, you wouldn't want to magnify the graphs!

Can you change the scale of the y-axis slightly? Maybe a logarithmic scale. e.g. So, the intercepts would go 5, 10, 20, 40, 80, 160, 320 etc? This wouldn't change the relative order, but would allow more detail at the bottom end... Just a thought! :) (I know, if I wasn't so lazy, I could do it myself!)

Back
Top Bottom