Queensferry Crossing, HMS Queen Elizabeth and all things Royal Navy

A view of Portsmouth from the Isle of Wight. To the left, in the dockyard, you can see one of the new aircraft carriers, in the middle is the Spinnaker Tower, centre piece of Portsmouth's Millennium celebrations (completed 2005!), and up on top of the hills (not easy to see) are the fortresses built to protect Portsmouth from land invasion called Palmerston's folly (Palmerston's Folly - The Story of Portsmouth's Forts - Hampshire Genealogical Society), although the white buildings far left are part of BAE systems, and bit more modern than its Napoleonic counterparts.

Should you ever find yourself on the south coast do pay a visit to the city as the history in and around the tiny island of Portsea is incredible.

1710949545253.png

The Seafire could land and take off on smaller carriers than them without arrester wires or catapualts, so a Spitfire in harbour should have no problems landing.

It's a very ugly ship.
They all are these days. That's the radar signature reduction design.

I'd not like to serve on one of them due to the lack of an all around upper deck. There isn't the space to go for a jog.

I seem to recall that after WW1 the German's weren't allowed to build battleships. These are the ships they didn't build...

1722251008750.webp

They weren't but Hitler ignored the rule and no one did anything about it as no one wanted to go to war over it, I think he called them battle cruisers but added armour plate unlike the UK who built the Hood without armour plate in the right places. He also ignored the rule about an airforce as well and experimented the Blitzkreig in the Spanish civil war. Putin has based his ambitions in Ukraine using the same theory, so far they are partially working though the west is discovering if their new weapons are effective in Ukraine hands without actually threatening to desist.

Last edited:
The Graf Spee and her sister ship the Admiral Scheer were built under the Versailles treaty limits (German Battleships were restricted to 10000 tons).

The other 4 were built after the signing of the Anglo German naval treaty in 1935 which effectively aligned Germany to the 1922 Washington Naval treaty with Battleships of 35000 tons. (Resulting in Scharnhorst and Gneisenau)

The French then broke the Washington naval treaty as a result of the British deciding that the Germans were no longer bound by the Naval rearmament part of the Treaty of Versailles. That in turn caused the Germans to break the Anglo German treaty by laying down Bismarck and Tirpitz.

I was intrigued by this picture as I couldn't work out what sort of ship this was. It is HMS Triumph, who started life as an aircraft carrier but was then converted in to a heavy repair ship, hence the crane, or derrick, or whatever the meccano thing is on the deck. The picture was taken as she was being prepared to be sent to Spain to be scrapped. Launched 1944, commissioned 1946, put in reserve 1975, scrapped 1981.

1722940208552.webp

A forward repair ship mate. Basically a floating set of workshops for Warships when there are no local facilities available.

She was laid up in Chatham for years and paid off for scrap less than 12 months before she would have been really, really useful.

During the Falklands Conflict this ship was taken up from trade and converted for the same task:

Fortunately, we've learnt our lesson regarding having forward operating repair facilities......

Wait, no, sorry we haven't. Diligence went into reserve while the government argued about a replacement and has now been struck off and scrapped without replacement.

When the Falklands happened the MOD requisitioned the QE2 and Canberra to use as troop ships. I suspect that no British company owns a ship which we could use to move that quantity of troops these days, so are we going to be left with the Isle of Wight Ferry for our next overseas adventure?

We'd have to talk nicely to Carnival who own what's left of Cunard.

There's always those CalMac ferries in Scotland LOL

I've never understood CalMac, their ferries seem to have very short lives compared to cross channel or Irish sea ferries. their design team also have problems as a few had to be lengthened to give them more buoyancy as they drew more water than the jetties had available, one wonders with all the modifications in build whether the new ones when they if ever get into service can actual take a full load to their designated ports.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom