Queensferry Crossing, HMS Queen Elizabeth and all things Royal Navy

I think it must be 86.

My peepers aren't good enough to read the pennant numbers so they were a best guess.

I can't find any reference to a visit by Iowa in 89 to the UK but I know she was in Gibraltar because I was there that year.

Also, in the top left of the dockyard against the wall in the basin is what looks to me like a Whitby Class hull which should be HMS Torquay awaiting disposal.

That would fit with the 1986 time

cider_and_toast I did find a photo that allowed me to see the pennant number but it stated 89, though it was really the same photo you posted perhaps from a different source, digitising 35mm photos can produce different quality

An old lady being bought back to Portsmouth for stripping down before going off to her final resting place. I believe this is HMS Monmouth.

1631530854501.png

On a happier note, this is being built at the dockyard, in place of a real ship I presume. It's a VICTA Subsea craft - VICTA - which all looks a bit James Bond

1631537768972.png

An old lady being bought back to Portsmouth for stripping down before going off to her final resting place. I believe this is HMS Monmouth.

View attachment 14854
My first ship. Spent almost 2 years on her.

An absolutely brilliant ship. She covered a lot of miles. You will hardly find a sailor with a bad word to say about her which is unusual.

She was known as the Black Duke because James Duke of Monmouth lead the Pitchfork Rebellion against King James II.

As a result of that she permanently flew a black flag from her main mast throughout her career. The Naval staff that oversaw the striping down of her equipment, tied a new black flag in place for her final journey. Defiant to the last.

They haven't managed to find a way to scrap my old vessels, they are still tied up in Rosyth, my one and only surface ship was scrapped in 1968 at Faslane with at least three ex crew members on Polaris courses watching it dismantled from the school windows. We did offer our services to the scrappy as expert guides as Victorious was a rabbit warren of compartments due to its history. The quirks of history now sees another Victorious using the same piece of water to carry out their maintenance procedures prior to deterrent patrol

QE loses a £100m F35, I was talking to some RAF engineers whilst in Cyprus and saying that I was impressed with the reliability as I had been there over 3 years without an aircraft loss, in 9 months on Victorious we lost 6 aircraft including a helicoptor and 8 crew, now we have bought an all singing and dancing state of the art aircraft from the USA, and lost one in under 3 years, anyone know how many Eurofighters we have lost? There again all combat aircraft in Cyprus were UK build:whistle:

Back
Top Bottom