Queensferry Crossing, HMS Queen Elizabeth and all things Royal Navy

Mephistopheles you joke, back in the day we had a system called the Ship Launched Underwater Target Transponder.

Being asked to "launch the S.L.U.T.T" or to "throw the S.L.U.T.T off the back end" always caused a chuckle.

It wasn't until several years after women began serving at sea that the name was changed to something boring but more suitable.

Last edited:
Just back from the 50th anniversary fireworks for the Forth Road Bridge. Uber Mega.

A small selection.

IMG_0021.JPG
IMG_0038.JPG
IMG_0043.JPG
IMG_0048.JPG
IMG_0053.JPG
IMG_0054.JPG
IMG_0060.JPG
IMG_0063.JPG
IMG_0068.JPG

The aircraft carrier has a very low slung bridge (for an aircraft carrier) I wonder if that is the finished article.

Knowing what the finest British engineers are like, they'll finish the bridge then not be able to get the bloody Carrier out. LOL

Anyone got any ideas what the blue things are for on top of the road deck on the bridge towers. I am guessing its some thing to do with fitting the cables, but really I have no idea. I just know they are not part of the final design.

Popped down and took some photos from the bridge on Saturday. The towers are getting tall aren't they. Notice the holes for the cables on the pillars. Also the bridge for the aircraft carrier no.2 is now visible.

DCS_4047.JPG
DCS_4059.JPG
DCS_4060.JPG
DCS_4064.JPG
DCS_4070.JPG
DCS_4079.JPG
DCS_4086.JPG
DCS_4091.JPG
DCS_4096.JPG
DCS_4101.JPG

As much as the engineering is stunning you have to wonder what war the British Government is preparing for with those aircraft carriers. I suspect some bloke on a beach with an automatic rifle isn't going to be too worried about HMS Queen Elizabeth steaming through the straits of Gibraltar.

Never going to happen, the Russians have as much, if not more to loose and, as far as I can remember, we could bomb Russia from the various air bases we have in the UK and around Europe.

Back
Top Bottom