Qualifying restructured

A long time ago I took part in a round of the British Land Yachting championship. (It's a trike design with a single sail on a mast a boom if you've never seen it). There were 30 yachts taking part in class 5 which was my class. There were 6 races in a day and the grid for race 1 was picked by lot. For the remaining 5 races I had a sticker telling me what grid spot I had next. My first race started from second, for the next race I just read off the column after 2. I think my next race started in 20 something. It meant everyone had a mix of grid spots.

I wouldn't want to see it in F1 but just thought I'd mention one fair way of using a lottery style.

The reason we have one team/car running away at the front is nothing to do with qualifying at all. It's to do with the lack of testing and teams not being able to compete on a even level due to the financial rewards.
I think that is only partially true. We have had cars running away from the front of the pack long before having any limit on testing.

Looking a bit closer in time look at the races Vettel won last year. These were essentially also of the form of Ferrari have an advantage over Mercedes and Vettel running away from the pack. However, in this case the advantage had nothing to do with lack of testing or Ferrari outspending Mercedes. They were simply the result of Ferrari having built a better car for those particular tracks. The nature of the constructors championship is that typically some constructor will have an advantage at a certain track even if there is a level playing field in terms of testing and budgets. A level playing field will simply make it more likely the advantage alternates between teams. It there by would produce a more exciting championship. However, there will still be a large portion of boring races.

Wow, big headlines about F1 putting Quali back to the way it was in 2015; which was about the only thing F1 didn't need to fix?

Well played to all those politicos who have successfully blown smoke over the real problems for the last 2 months ..... ****ers!

So.... I have been out of circulation for a while.... do I understand that Qualifying is now back to normal?

Or is this another wait and see ?

I have played pooh sticks with all my children, who now play pooh sticks with their children, and so it goes.

Pooh sticks is an altogether different thing in the South Wales valleys.
I do trust that the Welsh are not enjoying some unauthorised form of the sport (show? :thinking:) in place of the one laid down in the lengthy articles that govern the authorised version.

Lawyers at the FIP :embarrassed:(Federation Internationale de PoohSticks) are sure to be checking, and sanctions may well ensue.:yes:

Back
Top Bottom