Qualifying Format

Niels

Test Driver
Handing out points for qualifying would be insane I think.
In another view I would like to see the format of qualifying changed back to when it was one do-or-die lap. The unforgiving character of this format would definitely spice up the races with a surprise on the grid from time to time. I know this happens in the current format as well, but it would also increase tension I think. Wouldn't it als cut costs in a marginal way? By the way, does anyone know why they changed from do or die to the Q1-2-3 format?

Handing out points for qualifying would be insane I think.
In another view I would like to see the format of qualifying changed back to when it was one do-or-die lap. The unforgiving character of this format would definitely spice up the races with a surprise on the grid from time to time. I know this happens in the current format as well, but it would also increase tension I think. Wouldn't it als cut costs in a marginal way? By the way, does anyone know why they changed from do or die to the Q1-2-3 format?
You mean the ‘one car at a time’ format? - because it was too long and too borin!

Yeah that is what I mean, so you are really sitting at the tip of your chair during the full 20 minutes of Q1? Come on, to me that is just watching cars drive round the track (which I enjoy too) and watching HRT, Virgin, Lotus and another slacker get knocked out.
In the one car at a time format they would have a bigger shot of stirring up a surprise... Think of it what you will, it's just an opinion :)

Yeah that is what I mean, so you are really sitting at the tip of your chair during the full 20 minutes of Q1? Come on, to me that is just watching cars drive round the track (which I enjoy too) and watching HRT, Virgin, Lotus and another slacker get knocked out.
In the one car at a time format they would have a bigger shot of stirring up a surprise... Think of it what you will, it's just an opinion :)
Not really no, this format is a million times better than the one car at a time but I still would prefer the old 1 hour qualifying format where each car get 12 laps max each and can run when they want with those parameters and make adjustments to the cars, that use to build up tension and get battles for pole where it was beat and counter beat. Yes we got moments of none action but I didn’t mind that, it added to the tension for me.

I preferred the one lap format. It was a true test of driving ability under pressure, which some drivers (notably David Coulthard) were unable to cope with and some (notably Jarno Trulli) were not.

The only problem came in a wet/dry session, but in the dry it was an ideal format for testing the abilities of the drivers, and reduced the chances of Noah's Ark in qualifying.

I had my doubts about this format when they brought it in but, as mjo noted, it is more of an event in itself than the "old ways". On the other hand it does get messy and stupid when the weather takes a turn for the worse. I'll never miss the 20 minute wait for someone to hit the track like the good ol' days of gamesmanship in the pits.

Like the current format, never liked the 1 lap precession format it was too dull! Also I would imagine the TV stations didn't like it, as a lot of people would miss the first 30 minutes as the lesser branded team had their go. Also not very good for the fans, you see 20 or so cars go round competitively once and twice in farting around laps. @ least withe the current format you see more action as a TV viewer or a fan @ the side of the track.

As for handing out points for Qualifying. I like to see a single point handed out for Pole Position, they used to do this, but not sure why F1 got rid of the rule, though I think it was many many years ago.

I don't think 1 lap qualifying was a lottery. If you made a mistake you paid a heavy price - so don't make a mistake! It certainly led to more mixed grids, which might be what you mean, but we can argue about whether that was better or worse.

Having said that I don't mind the current system, apart from the tyre usage regulations, which are nothing to do with the qualifying format per se.

I do not agree with any format where qualifying 18th is better than 17th, qualifying 11th is better than 10th and not bothering to set a lap at the end has advantages.

I do not agree with any format which means that how you think you'll qualify has an effect on how you'll actually qualify, and that teams that expected to not get through Q2 cannot take pole even if they're fast enough, because they'd have no tyres left.

It is not a meritocracy, and thus it is wrong.

I'd make one alteration to the system for the one lapper. Hold the Friday session á la 2003, then the teams choose on Saturday morning which slot they want (with the best driver in FQ getting first choice). If there's inclement weather then they can hence use the forecast to have a guess.

Make a mistake in Quali in the 2003-05 systems and you were out. Faaaaantastic!

I don't think 1 lap qualifying was a lottery. If you made a mistake you paid a heavy price - so don't make a mistake! It certainly led to more mixed grids, which might be what you mean, but we can argue about whether that was better or worse.

Having said that I don't mind the current system, apart from the tyre usage regulations, which are nothing to do with the qualifying format per se.

When it rained, it was more of a lottery than what it is now, example Suzuka 2005.

I agree, but this is actually a product of the Pirelli's more than anything. Teams may well be targeting P18 next year.
More like of a product on the rules on tyre usage, having to use both compounds, start on the tyres you qualify on but not if you're 11th or lower etc.

I know I've said this before but I like the idea of agregated laps times. They could even stick with the current knock out format but everyone must do three timed laps otherwise they're bumped to the back of the grid (and I mean right behind Vitantonio Luizzi, even with his 5 place grid drop)

More like of a product on the rules on tyre usage, having to use both compounds, start on the tyres you qualify on but not if you're 11th or lower etc.

Not really. When they were on Bridgestone's there wasn't a huge advantage to having qualified 18th. This year it's all about having "a fresh set".

I know I've said this before but I like the idea of agregated laps times. They could even stick with the current knock out format but everyone must do three timed laps otherwise

Not a bad idea. For the Indy 500 they use your average speed on a four lap run.

Back
Top Bottom