Points system

teabagyokel

#dejavu
Valued Member
With the lamentable death of the medals idea; there has been a new idea for how points will be awarded, and it is likely to be the most radical overhaul yet.

With 6 new cars, points will now be awarded to the top 10 drivers in a 25-20-15-10-8-6-5-3-2-1 system

What will this mean for F1. A higher premium on podia is obvious, but how would this affect the Championship? Will race winners be allowed to escape or will the 9th/10th placed points help others to keep in touch.

Well, it looks like every record in the book is about to go, but hey, the future's the future...

I like this idea.

It gives more incentive to go for the pass and the higher place, rather than just sitting behind and playing it safe.

It also means that even with a DNF or 2, a driver is still in with a chance if they can get a couple of wins.

Hmmmm...

I'm not sure, although it does seem like a step towards superbike scoring, which they have not felt the need to change quite so regularly, I feel it's more a case of awarding mediocrity.... How far can you get from the meday approach?

Soon we're going to need new H&S rules to cover the new 21 person podiums. This constant desire to mend things that aren't broken just to distract from the cracks makes the whole thing feel like Bernie's version of "find the lady"

I quite like this idea. As Bro says it restores the importance of a top finish. The 10-8-6 thing was only introduced to try and peg back Schuey anyway.

I have a feeling that the reason it's now going down to 10th place is that we will now see a return of only the top 10 teams getting a "Bernie" allowance. While it does reward just finishing it could also liven up the mid-field battle for that all important cash where points really do mean prizes. (that's pure speculation of course but it makes sense).

This is more of an Indy style scoring system and it dosn't do that series any harm after all the title went right down to the wire over there.

At least it seems to me to be a change for the positive for once.

I think this is as lamentable a proposal as the medals, myself!

The only change in real terms is benefitting the podium placed drivers above the fourth- and fifth-placed ones. But the difference between 1st, 2nd and 3rd remains the same, proportionally, as it is now under 10-8-6.

Since the championship is likely to be contested by drivers who are mainly on the podium, I would argue this system still favours consistency too much as compared to outright speed.

Which is the better performance: Win, Win, Eighth or Second, Second, Third?

This system, like the bikes use, is calculated to give a much better chance of a final race decider. That's great for Bernie's show, but not so good if you're interested in the most deserving driver (subjective, I know) being crowned champion.

I don't object to extending points down to tenth but would have favoured a much bigger premium for wins and second places, along the lines of 25-15-10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 or similar.

The only change in real terms is benefitting the podium placed drivers above the fourth- and fifth-placed ones. But the difference between 1st, 2nd and 3rd remains the same, proportionally, as it is now under 10-8-6.

Er, well done GM, Wondered who'd be the first to spot the huge problem in the plan. Good work. Err.

:embarrassed:

LOL

I just think if they're going to change it they might as well make a proper job of it instead of tinkering. There's been no hint of this on the horizon at all, has there? Sounds like something from the back of an envelope, particularly the bizarre seventh place scoring.

If I was going to have a stab I'd say it smells like the work of Nick Fry?

Bernie's medal idea was so cirtically flawed and perverse that now whenever there is a threat to change the scoring system I flinch and immediately go into a cone!

But I have to say that similar systems have served MotoGP, Superbikes and Indycars well for some time, striking a balance between winning and scoring consistently. The fact is that winning races is what drivers are naturally inclined towards.

Bigger points differences won't make overtaking any easier or desirable. If the FIA want to promote overtaking the best idea would be to ban the DD Diffuser.

As GM has pointed out, the points span for the podium positions is relatively the same as the current system.

The comparison to other series is also weakened by the fact that according to the proposed new system over 40% of starters will get points - somewhat higher than any other series points system...

I still maintain, it's rewarding mediocrity - well done, you started....

Can someone explain to me why the commercial rights holder is chairing a meeting of the sports governing body and deciding on rule changes? Do Sky TV set the rules of the Premier league? Do the BBC get to decide on the seedings at Wimbledon? I just don't get it with the administration of F1, it's is just such a joke :givemestrength:

snowy said:
Bernie's medal idea was so cirtically flawed and perverse that now whenever there is a threat to change the scoring system I flinch and immediately go into a cone!

But I have to say that similar systems have served MotoGP, Superbikes and Indycars well for some time, striking a balance between winning and scoring consistently. The fact is that winning races is what drivers are naturally inclined towards.

Bigger points differences won't make overtaking any easier or desirable. If the FIA want to promote overtaking the best idea would be to ban the DD Diffuser.

Give that man a seat on the board! Points differentials are irrelevant if you can't get past the car in front regardless of speed differential and/or talent differential.

If Bernie really believes that driver's don't try any more, then set it back to 10-6-4-3-2-1 and remove the policy of points for mediocrity.

I don't mind the differences in podiums etc., or the increased tariffs, but I don't get that 6-5-3 jump down in 7th. Surely it should be 6-4-3...

If we take 7th place though, they last year got 2/10 points, ie. 1/5 of a win. This year, 7th place gets 5/25 points, ie. 1/5 of a win...

In 8th place, the points have gone from 1/10 to 3/25. That is an increase of 0.2!

In 6th place, we've gone from 3/10 to 6/25, a decrease of 0.6.

I can't see a problem if its all the same...

I think that, like GM says, the new system would reward mediocrity. I would like to see a return to the old, classic driver points system of 9-6-4-3-2-1, but with 2 points added for fastest lap and perhaps 1 point for leading the most laps.

I would also institute a separate points system for the constuctors title ( I seem to recall that television money is distributed according to the WCC standing). That way there would be incentive for even the backmarkers to continue to try their utmost.

teabagyokel said:
I don't mind the differences in podiums etc., or the increased tariffs, but I don't get that 6-5-3 jump down in 7th. Surely it should be 6-4-3...

If we take 7th place though, they last year got 2/10 points, ie. 1/5 of a win. This year, 7th place gets 5/25 points, ie. 1/5 of a win...

In 8th place, the points have gone from 1/10 to 3/25. That is an increase of 0.2!

In 6th place, we've gone from 3/10 to 6/25, a decrease of 0.6.

I can't see a problem if its all the same...

But it's not the same, as 9th and 10th now get points.
It's not the same because "I scored 100 points this season, more than Button and Hamilton did when they won their WC!", "Yes, but you finished 8th, and with just one podium"
Lastly, it is a flawed design if the motive is to encourage lead changes on the track.

I don't think this has a bearing on the front of the grid so much as sorting out the championship finishing order for the midfield/back of the grid. They are clearly expecting some teams to have not scored any points under the old system, thereby making it more difficult to fairly determine the final order of the championship when all are sat on 0 points. This way, by offering points that cars at the back might be able to pick up, it encourages people to fight for position there instead of saying "no point in risking overtaking the car in front, that'll move me up from 10th to 9th for no real gain and I might trash the car in the process"

Looking at those figures it seems to make so little difference it's hardly worth changing it. Then again perhaps that's the point. By doing it this way the ratio at the front remains the same while a couple of teams would be rewarded for a 9th and 10th place finish.

I now retract my former support for this system as it would seem it's once again a one step forward and one step back. (not that my support or otherwise would make a blind bit of difference any way !! :D )

I wonder if we will ever see Fastest Lap and Poll points. I guess in the case of Poll points there is (pun intended) no point. Since the re-banning of fuelling will mean in all likelyhood the fastest car will be on poll everytime there wouldn't be any reason to give one team so many free points. The Fastest Lap point is perhaps the best one since it would let drivers with little to gain towards the end of the race go for something. Imagine you're in 11th place (outside the new score system) with a few laps to go and no hope of catching 10th. You pit in for some fresh boots and get 3 or 4 laps on qually fuel levels and fresh rubber. 1 Point in the bag and a bit of excitement if more than one team tries it.

Back
Top Bottom