Pirelli Balances Ferrari Fears Over Silverstone Hard Tyre

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92691

Given what happened to Ferrari at Spain on the Hards (they got lapped), there is some concern that Pirelli may 'favour' Ferrari by not taking the Hards to Silverstone.

The decision is tomorrow (Tuesday 28 June, 2011).

Pirelli want to 'balance' things when it comes to the "12 teams" and they don't want more than 4 pitstops. That's their criteria...to have "3 or 4 pitstops"...but "not 5".

But is there pressure by others to ensure Ferrari are "competitive" at the next Grand Prix and can, as a result, remain in the mix of stopping the Vettel steam-roller? Could politics and tv ratings play a part in tomorrow's decision?

Interesting topic although it seems that yet again Red Bull in the hands of young Vettel don't seem to be too impacted by tyre wear at the same rate of others are are definitely not as sensitive to the different compounds.

We've seen McLaren, Mercedes and Ferrari (and Webber) all have real issues at times with certain tyres but not Vettel. Or not that I can remember.

So as with everything else I really don't think, even if Ferrari do get their way, that it will make any difference.

If Ferrari have to race on Hards at Silverstone, then you can kiss any chance of a WDC good bye.

So, is that what Bernie and the FIA want to prevent? TV ratings are important to Bernie...and the FIA have had a special place in their hearts for Ferrari (as confirmed by Max Mosley who said that Ferrari did indeed have a technical veto during the Schumacher era.)

But is there pressure by others to ensure Ferrari are "competitive" at the next Grand Prix and can, as a result, remain in the mix of stopping the Vettel steam-roller? Could politics and tv ratings play a part in tomorrow's decision?

I do not think anyone can put any pressure on Pirelli to bring tyres thought to favour one team. They are an independent Italian company. They would not want to be seen assisting one team?

Well to be fair at the moment if they were going to take a punt at any other team then they'd have to look at McLaren surely?

If they do make a decision that Ferrari prefers then i very much doubt it will be for reasons you've mentioned, I think they will base it on everyone and the pit stops.

If Ferrari don't like it then they've got time to make sure their car can use them. Even if it is in Ferrari's favour, as I've said I very much doubt it will be to Vettel's disadvantage.

McLaren and Ferrari are relying on aggressive setup work to extract maximum performance out of their respective cars, unlike Redbull who everyone knows have an all round aerodynamically efficient car. This would explain the alternation in performance superiority between McLaren and Ferrari, with whoever finding the optimum race setup gaining the upper hand. I read somewhere that Ferrari were revising their suspension design to address their issues with the harder tyre. Valencia is an anomaly of a circuit and I think McLaren will do far better at Silverstone hard tyre or not, never mind Hamilton’s downbeat assessment.

Massa's certainly worried about Pirelli bringing Hards and Mediums:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92692

I think they'd prefer Softs and Super-Softs...but if it's hot, they'd definitely make 5 pitstops (i.e use up all 6 sets.)

A compromise might be Mediums and Softs...but if it's hot, they still might end up with 5 stops...and Pirelli would look goofy if that happened. There has to be a balance between Ferrari being competitive and Pirelli looking Goofy.

Would everyone stopping once every 10 laps (in a 52 lap Grand Prix) constitute being "goofy" and, thus, reflect really badly on Pirelli?

This is a bit of a shamble to be honest and I hate the way Pirelli seems to be taking centre stage in the politics. They should've made this decision in Canada at the very latest and delaying it will only give teams the opportunity to press their case like this sudden wave of Ferrari talk. In fact i don't trust them to make an impartial decision. I think the sudden emergence of this medium tyre is too much of a coincidence after Ferrari were lapped in Barcelona ( i know they tested them in FP at Canada but it takes away the surprise element). Also, the effectiveness of DRS and KERS has helped mask Pirelli's weaknesses and sometimes overrated their role in the exciting races we've had so far.

I'm assuming it's because the current rules state that you must use either compound when dry running. Any more than two compounds and it's down the road of complex strategy, rule amendments and inevitable confusion for the viewer.

Ferrari need to build a car that doesn't get crushed by cars at the sharp end on an appropriate tyre choice.

You simply can't have one team being catered to and Pirelli must avoid looking like "Chumps". Having your firm's tyres being changed once every 10 laps in a 52 lap race at Silverstone would make any normal person wonder what kind of tyre manufacturer makes a tyre that degrades so rapidly in hot conditions. It would make Pirelli look like Chumps!!!

It would do Pirelli more harm than good having the main runners using up all 6 sets of rubber in a 52 lap race. They would be ridiculed to no end by the average tyre buyer on the planet after Silverstone!

From the Ferrari website:

The Valencia race threw up some interesting points: for example, for the first time this year it paid to stick longer with used tyres rather than bring forward the pit stops, when it was a case of switching from the Option to the Prime. That was clearly the case in the duel that was one of the highlights of the afternoon, between Fernando Alonso and Mark Webber, with the Spaniard gaining over a second and a half on the laps when he still had the Softs, while the Australian had just fitted a new set of Mediums.

Yes, Webber used up his tyres too much too soon at Valencia. Webber used up his Options more than not only Alonso...but also Vettel (who stayed out even longer than Alonso on his own Options.)

That's one area of differentiation this year between Vettel and Webber. Pirelli adaptation and tyre management.

I say bring the Super-soft and Hards, lets see Red Bull handle that tyre differential. They'll all be trying to undercut and the advantage gained will be quite large but this will harm the early undercutters later on. And with RB trying to cover the early people they will have pit earlier bringing them back into the field leaving a greater chance of unknown variables that might just stop Vettel.

You simply can't have one team being catered to

Twas always thus, one team will always suit a new tyre better than the others.

*cough*
Bridgestone_logo.jpg

The only team not complaining about the lack of grip/traction with the harder compounds is RB and moreover Sebastien Vettel as he is just pacing everything upfront.

It only seems like a "Ferrari" thing as they have gone out and said what the concerns are, to some it is whinging while to others it could be seen as viable tech data for Pirelli to better the compounds for 2012 and beyond.

I would like to state that nobody has mastered the hards so really again it is not a Ferrari only affair.

I think this whole issue highlights to me why no tyre company should have a monoply on F1. The FIA should hire a tyre expert to set out the specifics for each compound and then the teams should be able hire whichever company they like. That way we get no one accusing anyone of favouring anyone and there will be an extra element to mix the races up.

Anyone remember 2003? classic season

Back
Top Bottom