Pirelli Balances Ferrari Fears Over Silverstone Hard Tyre

point taken.

You get your ups you get your downs but still think competition makes for better races than a monoply

Yeah, I remember 2004 as well. Not quite as classic, and the tyre war played its part.

Yeah, a bit like this year, but without the different suppliers..:whistle:

I do agree on teams should be allowed to work with any supplier they like as currently they spend multi-millions on a chassis and aero package that can then be let down by the tyres they are given and told they have to use..

I do agree on teams should be allowed to work with any supplier they like as currently they spend multi-millions on a chassis and aero package that can then be let down by the tyres they are given and told they have to use..

Or they build the chassis, suspension and aero package to suit the tyres they are given - which some will do better than others.

Remember that part of the reason for a spec tyre was that manufacturers would build a tyre to suit the cars of one or two "top" teams and the rest were just left to get on with it. If the tyre did't suit their preferred team the tyre company would build a new compound or style of tyre to suit their favoured team leaving the others at a disadvantage. It's also cut costs massively as the tyre companies are no longer constantly building new tyres to try and gain an advantage.

Hypothetically, Red Bull, Ferrari and, say, Sauber use Pirelli and McLaren, Mercedes and Renault sign a contract with Goodyear. All the Goodyear runners are running away with things with only Sauber on the Pirelli's able to mix it near the back of the front What will Pirelli do? Almost certainly change the tyres to suit either (or both) Red Bull and Ferrari as they are the more high profile teams, with high profile drivers, which suits their marketing strategy resulting in Sauber slipping back down the field.

There's more positives to spec tyres, from my perspective, than negatives.

Sounds good in theory, but almost impossible to implement.I can't see any tyre manufacturer investing in new tyre moulds, developing new F1 standard compounds for a couple of teams.
Added to that the cost would be enourmous for the the few teams that used them.
You might get the very wealthy teams, Ferrari, McLaren then having bespoke tyre compounds and running away with all the races.
The smaller teams would have no chance of getting on terms with them as tyres are critical in the performance stakes.

So, having looked at this thread after coming back from vacation yesterday, we didn't get much discussion of the tyre nomination from Pirelli for Silverstone.

I understand they nominated Hards instead of Mediums.

While I was away (I didn't have internet use), did anyone from Ferrari say they didn't like the nomination?

I mean, netting out the Off-Throttle EBD ban, one would think Ferrari will be in trouble at Silverstone vs Red Bull given the tyre nomination and the flowing and fast nature of the circuit's configuration, no?

Thanks, no-FIAt....

Ferrari have made some upgrades on the supension and wings fronts to cope better with the Hards over the last two months. So that should help them anyways.

I think the Off-Throttle EBD ban, however, will help Ferrari more than anything at Silverstone. Had the regulations remained the same, I think Ferrari would be in trouble against the RBRs (which are known to work well at circuits with fast and flowing bends).

Back
Top Bottom