Pascal Wehrlein

So German born Pascal Wehrelein looks set to be the next new driver on the F1 grid joining the Manor team. If the PR is to be believed he's joining the Manor team at a good time as they set to jump up to the midfield pack. We have been promised that before though. As for Wehrelein himself most fo us will know him as the Mercedes test driver and DTM Champion but will have seen very little of him in single seaters. Thats mainly because Merc took him out of single seaters fairly quickly and he last did a full season of single seaters in 2012 doing mainly F3. His result were top end but not overly impressive but Mercedes obviously saw something.

Wahrelein is very much one of Toto Wolffs men and I think that has helped him a lot in finally landing him a drive where previous Merc test drivers (Sam Bird etc) have failed to do so. He is quite obviously quick in DTM but there have been accusations that he was shepherded to the title in 2015 by his team mates. He is quite obviously a quick driver but it will be interesting to see how quickly he adapts to F1. The last driver to jump straight from DTM to F1 was Paul Di Resta and the only other driver to do it before that was Christijan Albers (remember him? thought not) so its not a proven success rate.

Having read some of his twitter feed he seems a nice enough guy and whilst they'll talk about him being a young German its worth remembering that he has a dual nationality as he was actually born in Mauritius. That technically makes him the first F1 driver from the content of Africa for as long as I can remember. I suspect we only have South Africans prior to that.

Will eb itnerested to see how he goes, I'm slightly skeptical but am willing to be proved wrong. Anyone got any thoughts?

Such a shame we Don't have a known quantity as a team mate to compare Pascal too this year.

He looks like he's doing a great job but for all we know Rio is doing a terrible one.

Like Nico Rosberg and Kazuki Nakajima.

Pascal is looking quite hungry though, that can't be a bad sign.

You could say the same about Verstappen. I guess based on junior series performance, Haryanto almost certainly is doing a weaker job. Nonetheless the Manor looks the most basic chassis, and even with an engine advantage, if he's mixing with Saubers and Renaults, I'd say that was a strong rookie performance.

Weirlein this spell isn't helping his reputation. Because he came into this season as the next superstar & the next Mercedes driver when/if 1 of Lewis or Nico leave. As double DTM champion but yet Hariantyo is prove as much as his equal & this supposed to be a pay driver

It goes to show that developing your drivers in DTM is all well and good but the boys in GP2 learn a lot more following the F1 paddock round.

They might have been close in qualifying, but Wehrlein has been considerably quicker in the races.

Yeah I just think Wehlein takes longer to get himself set up right and used to the track. Mainly because he is having to get used to circuits, pirelli rubber and tracks.

Haryanto comes with a lot more.knowledge of all 3 so gets out the blocks quicker.

Weirlein this spell isn't helping his reputation. Because he came into this season as the next superstar & the next Mercedes driver when/if 1 of Lewis or Nico leave. As double DTM champion but yet Hariantyo is prove as much as his equal & this supposed to be a pay driver

Shows what I know haha seems another 1 of my sporting knowledge pearls. (Ie what a disaster Ranieri will be for Leicester & they won the premier league) :givemestrength::oops:

Weirlein has proved me wrong massively this weekend stunning drive to get in the points This time they didn't even need a high attrional race. easily the driver of day becoming 2nd point scorer in manor history. :goodday:

Got away with reversing on the start grid though didn't he? Hmmm.

Don't get me wrong. Great drive and I'm happy and all that but it's still a chin stroking moment.

Wherlein has been confirmed at Sauber for 2017. Bit if a sideways move I think but I guess the odds are Sauber might produce a better car than Manor. Who knows.

No Merc engine at Sauber though.

He has to be a bit gutted he was passed over first by Force India, then by Merc and then by Williams! Point to prove next year I think.

It will be interesting to see if he manages to get more out of a Sauber than Ericsson and Nasr managed. No word on a teammate yet though.

Huge crash for Pascal at race of Champions on Saturday. Prevent from racing on Sunday by the doctors. He ran out of talent flipped his car. Remind me how far away is F1 testing.

Back
Top Bottom