Overtaking for the GP Victory

The video from 1989 should be up soon. I was having trouble with the Japanese footage so Senna/Nannini is not included, but I guess that one is not even officially recognized anyway.

So why didn't you include Australia 2010 Button on Hamilton first lap? And why have you included Turkey 2010 when Button only lead for a single corner?

This is just a manipulation of data to boost the stats pure and simple for your own agenda

Last edited:
So why didn't you include Australia 2010 Button on Hamilton first lap? And why have you included Turkey 2010 when Button only lead for a single corner?

This is just a manipulation of data to boost the stats pure and simple for your own agenda

Hamilton actually overtook Button for P6 on Lap 6 at Oz 2010, which of course prompted Jenson to pit. JB's only overtake that race was on Kubica for P4 during Lap 9.

Istanbul 2010 was a marvelous dice for 4 corners and the simple fact of the matter is that Hamilton made a crucial pass at the end of the straight that secured him the victory. Impossible to manipulate that. :wave:

It is all about interpretation and how you present the data nothing more nothing less I could go through every single one of your so called stats and come up with a different interpretation of them no problem whatsoever but I just can't be arsed..

Great thread Keke, very interesting.
It intrigues me as to what is percieved as a true overtake, for instance I see you haven't included Lewis on Heikki in GB 2008, was that because it was a fairly obvious move over for team mate rather than overtake?
Do all the DRS moves count & is it just on-track or pit passes? Tricky!
I don't envy you sorting out who did what where and to whom but I'm enjoying the stats & videos. Cheers :thumbsup:

KekeTheKing It's an ambitious project but one fraught with difficultiies. A driver can often overtake another affected by various mechanical trouble grave or small, and where do you draw the line?
Senna's overtake on Prost at Hockenheim in 1989 for example happened when Alain's sixth gear broke. And in that period it was fairly rare for cars to go through entire race distances without some sort of problem, even when nothing actually broke. So where would you draw a line on what counts as actual overtakes and someone passing an ailing car?

Only when it suits the person who is giving you the stats..
First lap overtakes have never been counted in our data.

That is clearly explained here: http://cliptheapex.com/overtaking/

Now please stop trying to derail another thread which remotely shows Hamilton in any kind of positive light and doesn't praise Button.
I for one am sick to ****ing death of it.

(That's not a request by the way.)

Lewis on Heikki in GB 2008....Do all the DRS moves count & is it just on-track or pit passes?

For now I'm only identifying the on-track passes for the lead that occurred between the 1st and 2nd place finishers. Kovalainen finished down in 5th so that is why it has been excluded. I've been using the race footage to exclude lead changes that happened because of a pit stop.

Senna's overtake on Prost at Hockenheim in 1989

Yes this one is certainly questionable. Prost moved over because he knew he was defenseless. I decided to include it because Alain was still able to bring it home 2nd. It would likely be excluded from a comprehensive list of overtakes at Hockenheim 89 though.

I've really enjoyed going through the 1986 season again. One for the ages. Unsurprisingly it featured 6 races where the winner overtook the 2nd place finisher for the lead on track.

1986 (6 occasions)
Brazil - Piquet on Senna (Lap 3)
Spain - Senna on Mansell (Lap 63)
France - Mansell on Prost (Lap 59)
GBR - Mansell on Piquet (Lap 23)
Hungary - Piquet on Senna (Laps 12 & 57)
Italy - Piquet on Mansell (Lap 38)

Back
Top Bottom