Poll Out of ten - 2012 Canadian Grand Prix

2012 Canadian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
I went for 6, even though Hamilton won, the only thing exciting was Hamilton chasing down the leaders in the last 15 laps, that said, I can't remember a single overtake outside the DRS zone or in the pitlane.
Hamilton passed Alonso at turn two, Vettel passed Alonso into the hairpin, and I'm sure I saw someone (Rosberg maybe) make a pass into one of the chicanes. And there was the Perez / Massa / Rosberg incident into turn one. Perez got past Rosberg, who had cut the final chicane, then I think he passed Massa before reaching the hairpin.

Overall I'd give the race a 9, but I do agree with @Mephistoheles about the DRS making overtaking too easy.

7 for me. I watched the first few laps and reckoned it would be pretty static until the first pitstops, went out and sprayed the knotweed, came back and the only thing I'd missed was Massa's spin, cooked dinner with an occasional glance at the screen, then settled down with the missus and a big plate of pasta to watch the denouement, which was pretty exciting will-he-won't-he stuff. Another slow-burner. What it's done for the championship is great!

Problem is, once something's happened, it's history nowadays; an overtake never turns into a ding-dong battle. There was the excitement of the chase, the DRS-assisted overtake that wasn't particularly spectacular, and no prospect of a fightback. The fantastic CTA overtaking analysis already tracks the number of laps since last pitstop for the overtaker and overtakee - how many times this season has anyone on old tyres overtaken someone on newer rubber? (excluding JEV in Monaco)

Legs "sprayed the knotweed", good luck with that, I know what a nightmare it is and I'm afraid to say that you are doomed! I sold my last house because of it (and didn't mention it to estate agent or buyer). It was the first thing i looked for in every other house I looked at.

gethinceri, we hit the knotweed really hard last year, cutting it back, rodding through the stems down towards the rhizomes and filling the stems with glyphosate, and it's nowhere near as vigorous as it was so I'm holding out a little hope...

A solid 7... not the most entertaining Canadian GP... a bit of a snooze for passing... a testament to the horsepower of Mercedes engines and shorter DRS... which backed up a couple of small trains with the lead car just out of reach of the several behind each with DRS activated... but the last 15 laps made it pretty fun in the end...

I can find these sorta sport-y things quite boring, rather quickly. But I am slowly getting more and more interested in F1, among a few other sports. And I find it quite entertaining. Enjoying watching summaries, social network feedback, and forum discussions. It's all in all quite entertaining. I think part of it is that we get various angles, and not just track angles. But interesting views and opinions from commenters, in-car cams with good quality, good choice of replay and low latency statistics. I remember back in the day the commentary could be stiff, and the only 'cool' cam view was low on track or high in chopper. I voted a 7 out of 10. I mean, until I see explosions and fireworks, it's not a 10. :p

Welcome to F1 Floris. It becomes quite addictive. The more you know, the more you want to know. Especially for an analytic mind such as yours.
It goes back, my dad had fun trying out cars when he was younger. Though very much - very much - on an amateur level. And when it was on TV, way later in his life, I always watched one or two races with him. I think the nostalgia that brings for me is still pulling me back into this sport.

The first race where McLaren let Lewis use his tyres, his desire and speed, instead of making him fart about in a futile attempt to conserve tyres and secure a third place.

It's a TEN! :)

PS: Visually the race was so so, but the Live Timing and watching the sector times light up was remarkably thrilling!
I estimate my attention was 90% on the timing where I could actually see the shape of the race.

PPS: The race should be exciting on the TV, DRS and tyre deg are a disgrace so I have actually only given it an 8.

PPPS: Shouldn't the 10 be at the top and 1 at the bottom?

Which is why I accidentally voted 1. Rule number one of online usability: "Dont Make Me Think" - Which is also the title of a fantastic book by Steve Krugg.

6/7 I say.

It was very boring for 3/4 of the way through, the passes where mostly drs assisted, we didn't see many drivers go for it up until the drs zone, for a Canadian gp it wasn't spectacular.

The strategies unfolding is what only kept me really interested, once Hamilton put on a set of new tyres and the others hadn't pitted, you knew he would win.

10 out of 10

Throughly interesting race, from Strategy to Speed plus a very cool looking podium 3.
Some may say the first half was boring but i didn't think it was. There was some good little battles from all of those drivers who were in contention for points and alot of the top 10 were on very different strategies which made the race fascinating. I really wouldn't have even bet on that podium outcome either!

PPPS: Shouldn't the 10 be at the top and 1 at the bottom?
Would people like me to do that in the future? I only put ten at the bottom because 1 comes before ten and I just did the numbers in order (sorry if that sounded slightly patronising).

It was nice to see a pretty direct battle between hamilton, alonso and vettel without anyone else interfering. They are the drivers of this generation. 8

9, at the start of the season my one hope was a Mclaren vs Ferrari battle, and we got that, obviously 10 is exclusive to Schumacher winning!

Back
Top Bottom