Onboard with Massa

Very nice. Premiere is the Digital TV service in Germany, where there are about 6 different channels, including an on-board camera channel.

As for the incident itself, I'm afraid I think it's a typical racing incident. Someone gets their braking wrong, everyone else has to sort themselves out. They've been very well-behaved at starts this season, so maybe the stewards have got a bit over-sensitive? My anyway...

I would agree with GM.

It shows a driver stuffing the 1[sup]st[/sup] corner up, nothing more.
Quite why the stewards felt they had to penalise this one particular incident ouf of hundreds from previous GP's is anyone's guess.

Now this is a first!

The official F1 site has video of the incidents under "Latest Headlines" with the title "Japanese Grand Prix footage - what do you think?"

Japanese Grand Prix footage - what do you think?

Perhaps the backlash has been a little too much this time?

What it clearly shows is:
1. Hamilton going too deep into the 1st corner.
2. Massa losing it on the entry to the chicane and then cutting it in an attempt to get back on par with Hamilton.
3. Massa turning in on Bourdais.

A penalty for 1 is unprecedented (as far as I am aware).
A penalty for 2 is fair.
A penalty for 3 on Bourdais is incorrect.

RickD said:
They ask what we think, but give no place to answer the question?!?

Maybe Paul can ask why as Moderator of CTA - legitimate press enquiries are welcome "Why ask a question on your site without providing a channel for response"

admin@formula1.com

Now, I know i'm going to be controversial, but I'm going to defend the Bourdais penalty, given the onboard of Massa.

Whilst Massa could have given Bourdais room, the end of the clip from Massa's car also seems to show that Bourdais could have given Massa more room as well....

Also, the idea that cars on the main straight should "give way" to those coming out of the pits seems ludicrous. There's big flashing blue lights and everything for the cars in the pitlane, nothing like that for those barrelling down the straight at 200+mph.

Further, if the Massa incident was punished, then the Hamilton incident had to be as well - since contact between Hamilton and Raikkonen was only avoided by Raikkonen taking urgent avoiding action. However, why Kovi wasn't similarly punished, I don't know!

The Artist..... said:
Whilst Massa could have given Bourdais room, the end of the clip from Massa's car also seems to show that Bourdais could have given Massa more room as well....
From what I could see, Bourdais had his right front wheel on the kerb so I don't think he had any more space to give.

Also, the idea that cars on the main straight should "give way" to those coming out of the pits seems ludicrous.
During the drivers' briefing, Charlie Whiting apparently said cars leaving the pits have right of way for this particular race.
I can only assume it was due to visibility issues when exiting the pit?

Back
Top Bottom