Old Numbering System

teabagyokel

#dejavu
Valued Member
I have scarcely anywhere to post this, so a new thread it is. I'm sure I did this before, but here is my conclusion to what everyone would be racing in this year with the Old Numbering System in place*.

*I have assumed that no teams would be moved up the order, that brand new teams would get the next two slots and that changed teams (Brawn and Sauber) would keep their old numbers. I have also kept the slot for USF1 in 2010, as the FOM did at the time before awarding the place to Sauber.

1. Sebastian Vettel (RBR)
2. Mark Webber (RBR)
3. Michael Schumacher (Mercedes)
4. Nico Rosberg (Mercedes)
5. Heikki Kovalainen (Caterham)
6. Vitaly Petrov (Caterham)
7. Pastor Maldonado (Williams)
8. Bruno Senna (Williams)
9. Kimi Raikkonen (Lotus)
10. Romain Grosjean (Lotus)
11. Jenson Button (McLaren)
12. Lewis Hamilton (McLaren)
14. Paul di Resta (Force India)
15. Nico Hulkenburg (Force India)
16. Pedro de la Rosa (HRT)
17. Narain Karthikeyan (HRT)
20. Timo Glock (Marussia)
21. Charles Pic (Marussia)
23. Daniel Ricciardo (STR)
24. Jean-Eric Vergne (STR)
27. Fernando Alonso (Ferrari)
28. Felipe Massa (Ferrari)
29. Kamui Kobayashi (Sauber)
30. Sergio Perez (Sauber)

My thoughts. Well, Button and Hamilton would look even more like Prost and Senna (1988), Caterham would look silly with 5 and 6 on the front, but there is one shining benefit of all this, isn't there? Ferrari back in car #27, the number that saw Alonso take his first title for Renault too!

Want my working? CTA.png Oh alright then!

Josh - Back int day* teams kept their number from year to year, unless they had the Drivers Champion in tow in which case they took 1 and 2, swapping with the previous 1 and 2 team. And that's what I've tried to replicate here.

*Yorkshire: Trans: Years ago

I though Williams were 5 and 6.

I did enjoy the old numbering system. The new one has it's benefits but I'd love to see a move back to the old system. Knowing that the Ferraris would have number 27/28 and McLaren would be 11/12 would be great. Very cool thread by the way.

teabagyokel did you backtrack all championships and switch the numbers accoridingly, or did you take a startingpoint?

What was the last year with the old numbering system?

Edit: oh, never mind, the sheet is in your post:embarrassed:

Thanks tby. How bizarre that Ferrari end up back in "their" numbers (I know they weren't theirs originally, but you know what I mean)

So Kubica would have been carrying #30 when he won in Montreal.

... So this is all based on after the 1994 championship.

However, this was after a major reorganisation of the numbers in 1993.

That year, McLaren took the numbers 7/8 after the demise of Brabham (they should have been 5/6). Benetton then took the vacated 5/6 which left 19/20 free. Larrousse, who were 29/30 took the 19/20 of Benetton, leaving Sauber to take the 29/30.

Then, Fondmetal had folded between 1992/93 so their numbers (14/15) were allocated to Jordan, who had previously been 32/33.

March had been registered with 16/17 for the 1993 season, but they failed to show up for the first race and went bankrupt.....

Its been entered three times - by the two you've mentioned and by Mauritz Von Strachwitz at the 1953 German GP, although he didn't turn up.

Back
Top Bottom