Head To Head Nico Rosberg vs Lewis Hamilton

Next year we have a Valtteri Bottas versus Lewis Hamilton thread to look forward to. And just to get this in early, "well, Toto is Bottas' manager so he's bound to get preferential treatment isn't he!"

Toto will no longer be Bottas's manager if he gets the drive. Lauda and a few others have pointed out the conflict of interest.

How much commission will Toto get for the intro first though...

Let's just thank that spaghetti monster thing that Suzie has retired/is up the duff

racecub you forgot to add the two engines that he got for free giving him an advantage in that he could push them harder (remember Rosberg being told in free practice at Brazil(?) that he should not try a fast lap to save his engine). Malaysia was by no means a dead cert for Hamilton, the reason that I included that earlier is because so many say that was where he lost the WDC.

And Monaco was only won by Hamilton because Rosberg let him past and Red Bull screwed up Ricciardo's pitstop.

But in the end the points counts as they were at the official finish results.

There's lots of seasons which have been influenced by mechanical issues. That's a part of motorsports. Now with the almost bulletproof reliability some people seem to think it shouldn't be so anymore, but it still is.

Last edited:
racecub you forgot to add the two engines that he got for free giving him an advantage in that he could push them harder (remember Rosberg being told in free practice at Brazil(?) that he should not try a fast lap to save his engine). Malaysia was by no means a dead cert for Hamilton, the reason that I included that earlier is because so many say that was where he lost the WDC.
Yea, practise, that's practise. Remember all the races prior to Spa when Hamilton had to save engines at all cost?
He did get two free engines at Spa you're right. And for that he had to start at the back in Spa and be compromised in the earlier races when his engine failed. Oh, and one of the new engines went pop at Malaysia. Not a great deal.
I wonder if you asked Hamilton and Rosberg at the start of the season...do you want 100% reliability? Or do you want a few failures, two new engines and then a few more technical issues? I wonder which they'd both choose?

And Monaco was only won by Hamilton because Rosberg let him past and Red Bull screwed up Ricciardo's pitstop.

But in the end the points counts as they were at the official finish results.

There's lots of seasons which have been influenced by mechanical issues. That's a part of motorsports. Now with the almost bulletproof reliability some people seem to think it shouldn't be so anymore, but it still is.

Yep, absolutely right. Reliability is part of the game and Hamilton lost out. And he gained at Monaco by the Red Bull screw up and Risberg being too slow.
Points count and Rosberg had them. No disputing that.

It doesn't make Rosberg a less worthy, undeserved or lucky champion. That Hamilton has had bad luck, still means that Rosberg had to get points. It's not like they just fell into his lap.

Although maybe you could say that, the Mercedes being so dominant. but then Hamilton was just as lucky the past few years to be in that car. Without it, he wouldn't have been a triple worldchampion now.

Edit: imagine Hamilton had stayed at McLaren. Rosberg might have been a triple WDC now. Or maybe he would have retired after his first, and Mercedes would have had three different WDC in three years.

Last edited:
I've not failed to take Rosberg's position into account, but iVe also looked at how he got into that position, it wasn't exactly by out driving Hamilton, it was because he had the most luck. That's ok, that's the way things go, this is F1..

Nico's luck was really riding high for him, as a result of Lewis's engine detonating at Malaysia, while Hamilton seemingly was on to a comfortable win. As Toto Wolff said, " This year, clearly, Malaysia cost Lewis the championship. It's clear>"

It doesn't make Rosberg a less worthy, undeserved or lucky champion. That Hamilton has had bad luck, still means that Rosberg had to get points. It's not like they just fell into his lap.

Although maybe you could say that, the Mercedes being so dominant. but then Hamilton was just as lucky the past few years to be in that car. Without it, he wouldn't have been a triple worldchampion now.

Edit: imagine Hamilton had stayed at McLaren. Rosberg might have been a triple WDC now. Or maybe he would have retired after his first, and Mercedes would have had three different WDC in three years.

Yes all ifs and buts, and fun to speculate on them.
Rosberg isn't undeserving of his championship, he did what he had to do, but I still maintain he was very lucky.
The Mercedes has been dominant, as was the red Bul and Ferrari before it in their time. I guess its the way of things. And the top drivers have a way of finding themselves in those dominant cars.
Had the Red Bull been closer to the Mercedes this last season, with the two drivers they've got, and all Hamilton's technical issues, I doubt Mercedes would have had the two championships.
It'll be very interesting to see how the cars stack up this year.

Back
Top Bottom