Nico Hulkenberg to replace Kazuki Nakajima at Williams?

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
Nicolas Hülkenberg has taken the GP2 2009 title, becoming the 3rd rookie to do so after Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton.

Is there any doubt now that he will be promoted to an F1 race seat at Williams next year?

Kazuki Nakajima it's fair to say has been soundly beaten by his team mate, Nico Rosberg this year.

F1 Head To Head 2009

The head to head shows that he has only managed to out-qualify Nico 3 times and record a better fastest lap twice.
When it comes to race results though he has failed to score a single point and has finished behind Rosberg in every race.

If it wasn't for the Toyota engine deal, which is what secured Nakajima's seat, I have no doubt that Williams would have replaced him long before now.

Nico already has a fairly impressive record in feeder and other series, taking 1st place 4 times and 3rd once: Nicolas Hülkenberg Record

Surely he has earned his place on the grid?

If Williams retain Toyota engines for 2010 however then that could complicate matters.

I think I read somewhere* that Williams no longer have the contractual obligation to take Nakajima, even if they keep the Toyota engine. But as Rosberg is expected to move on anyway, Kazuki may get to stay.
*Will try and find that story, watch this space.

Edit : This is what I was thinking of, which says Williams can leave Toyota after this season. What's not clear is if they do stay with Toyota, then they still must have Nakajima or not.

Personally I think Williams need a driver able to development the car next year, alongside whichever Nico is there. Heikki maybe?

Good point about Nico Rosberg, all the rumours seem to point to him moving to McLaren next year.

Heikki to Williams would therefore be a logical swap and would be a good fit with Hülkenberg.

I can't see Kazuki getting another drive with any team, he's simply not good enough.

Now I'm not a well respected TV pundit with an array of paddock spies, so I'll have to assume that Rosberg » Brawn will happen.

Nakajima is not going to be in a Williams next year if Toyota are not their engine suppliers or insisting upon his selection.

Hülkenburg is extremely likely to be in a Williams next year with one of the merry-go-round drivers. Kubica? Barrichello? Sutil? Kovalainen? Trulli?

All we can be certain of is the uncertainty. Why can't this be 2006-07 when everything fell into place when Schumi retired?

teabagyokel said:
Now I'm not a well respected TV pundit with an array of paddock spies, so I'll have to assume that Rosberg » Brawn will happen.

Nakajima is not going to be in a Williams next year if Toyota are not their engine suppliers or insisting upon his selection.

Hülkenburg is extremely likely to be in a Williams next year with one of the merry-go-round drivers. Kubica? Barrichello? Sutil? Kovalainen? Trulli?

All we can be certain of is the uncertainty. Why can't this be 2006-07 when everything fell into place when Schumi retired?

If Rubens wins the WDC, I'm sure Brawn will retain him for next year, as well as Button. (Not that I want Rubens to win it - I would prefer Jenson to be champion. :D )

With so many what-ifs, this years merry-go-round is really difficult to predict. (Or maybe it's musical F1 chairs. When the music stops, everyone sit down...)

I can understand the arguments for Kovalainen to Williams (particularly if they end up with the Merc engine supply that had been thought to be heading for Red Bull...) but don't be surprised to see Nick Heidfeld alongside the Hulk - Williams have always spoken about him and his development skills in glowing terms and were unhappy when BMW stole him from them after 2005.

Back
Top Bottom