New Skydiving Record Attempt

It appears he was around 100 km/h short of breaking the sound barrier.

it's a good job he managed to stop the tumble or it could all have been very different.

Sorry, but the slipstream at the speed projected for those craft would tear the passangers apart as they left the plane.
There has to be a way around that, and really there is no way to figure it out unless stunts like this are tried. Yes, Yeager's flight had a much greater scientific significance than this, but you can not just call it some clown's publicity stunt. Yes, it was a Red Bull publicity stunt but also a scientific experiment if you would.

I see no comparison, frankly. when Chuck broke the sound barrier, as far as anyone knew the wings would fall off the plane, or he would lose control due to compressibility effects.

Loss of control was never an issue SF thanks to the most of the design work you guys "picked up in an exchange of ideas" with us after the war:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_M.52

;)

Mach 1.24 - 833 mph - 1200+ Km H - confirmed - awesome and Joe Kittinger's Wiki page had been edited 2 minutes after Felix landed:D

This was just incredible, again someone who does things just because they are there (see some of my previous rants). I love freefall parachuting, but this man has nerves (and a sphincter) of steel to drop from that height, I was nervous just looking at the images when he was wating to jump.

Back
Top Bottom