New F1 Film

Andrea Arnold? Carol Morely? F1 doesn't strike as their sort of film but it depends on the story being told. Morely likes something grounded in fact.

Strange era to follow. I can't think of any continuous thread across those years that would make for a great story unless they are going to contrive a plot like they did in the film Grand Prix.

1964 is an interesting season in it's own right with Surtees taking the title having never lead the championship at any stage until the last few laps. Then you've got 1965 with Jim Clarks domination and winning Indy.

60's was pure racing with minimal aid to drivers during the race. Big names like Sterling Moss, Bruce McLaren, Jack Brabham, John Surtees etc come to mind - the pioneers of Formula 1. Really eager to crack this mystery now! Any thoughts on the cast?

I think I remember reading about how there was an F1 film in the early 2000s which was vetoed by Bernie because the main character got shot on the grid, I remember nothing more about it!

Oh Driven was such a bad film it was fun to watch and you could tell it was meant to be an F1 film. The bad guy in the film is a talented german who slightly lacks a moral compass (Schumacher) and the team owner is in a wheel chair.

The bit where Stallone is able to talk directly to his team mate on the radio when they are in the race is priceless.

He was trying to make Rocky on wheels and didn't get anywhere near it. It wasn't massively bad but certainly not good.

Given the success of Senna and Rush there is a market for well made F1 films based on true stories. If you were going to make one set before Rush, I would suggest the 61, 68 or 70 seasons would provide enough drama to make great films. For slightly less tragic stories, 64 or 62 would be great as well.

I'm just wondering about the seasons they say it's going to be based around, more specifically, how many American drivers were there in the 1963-66 seasons?

Back
Top Bottom