My takeaway - never put Pirellis on your car

P1

Race Winner
Contributor
It amazes me that Pirellis is in this to sell tires. My takeaway is that Pirellis tires fall apart easily and have marginal traction after a few miles.

Naturally when I bought new tires a few weeks ago, I bought the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Because the Michelins were developed for Le Mans 24h racing, and the Pirellis are designed to encourage drivers to slow down.

They don't just sell tyres for road cars. They sell a hell of a lot of tyres for racing in all forms of motorsprt. They were given a brief by the racing directors and have delivered perfectly to spec. The fact that the tyres are now a huge factor in the racing means that they Pirellis are getting a huge amount of exposure and praise for thier good work. How can this be negative?

I think your statement is based on a lack of understanding of Pirellis goals with regards to it's involvement in F1.

I don't think it is fair on Pirelli to judge their road tyres in this way. We all know they have made the tyres to improve the spectacle, the fact that they have should be a credit to them.

I don't suppose you go around corners too fast in your Michelins, because if I remember rightly, that company once made a tyre that was so unsafe on fast turns that the cars on them couldn't race... (Indianapolis)

I don't want F1 cars running on tyres that can do 10,000 miles without any drop off.

It amazes me that Pirellis is in this to sell tires. My takeaway is that Pirellis tires fall apart easily and have marginal traction after a few miles.

Naturally when I bought new tires a few weeks ago, I bought the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Because the Michelins were developed for Le Mans 24h racing, and the Pirellis are designed to encourage drivers to slow down.

This can't be serius. Just simply can't.

The OP has a valid point, Pirelli entered F1 so that the glow of F1 publicity shines on their product, some fans around the world would probably not analyse the reasons for Pirelli's tyre degedration, they were given a brief after Bridgestone produced soft tyres that could run a full race, that brief was followed and what we had were tyres that fall apart in the first few races of the season, they are now producing varients of their tyres that are more durable, however, that durability comes a speed reduction cost.
Some fans would have Pirelli in their minds when they purchase tyres, that's the nature of publicity associated with F1.

But you don't buy racing slicks for road cars and I think the differance between Pirelli racing tyres and Civil tyres are vast to say the least.

The difference between the excelent and average tyre manufacturer is their pallet of the outstanding tyres. Everyone has one or two excellent tyres, but only few has more than that. Pirelli PZero is an excellent tyre but it depends weather it was OEM on a brand new car or the replacement tyre on an old car. This could be said for the most manufacturers, but than again, it is to be seen how the tyre works when not new. Let's see how they work after 10.000 km or more! Here lays the difference between excellent and average tyre! That's my opinion!

The difference between the excelent and average tyre manufacturer is their pallet of the outstanding tyres. Everyone has one or two excellent tyres, but only few has more than that. Pirelli PZero is an excellent tyre but it depends weather it was OEM on a brand new car or the replacement tyre on an old car. This could be said for the most manufacturers, but than again, it is to be seen how the tyre works when not new. Let's see how they work after 10.000 km or more! Here lays the difference between excellent and average tyre! That's my opinion!

Michelin Pilot Super Sport is a better tire. I've driven both back to back on a new car. In addition check out tire rack's tests, tire racks reviews. The PSS is superior to the new P Zero 4. And when the new Michelin PS4S comes out it will extend Michelin's lead even further.

Pirelli is simply not the best tire you can buy. I don't even think it's the second best.

Back
Top Bottom