Motor Sport Magazine Hall of Fame

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
Motor Sport magazine have created a "Hall of Fame" for motor racing with the first 8 inductees being:

Tazio Nuvolari
Enzo Ferrari
Juan Manuel Fangio
Sir Stirling Moss
Jim Clark
Sir Jackie Stewart
Ayrton Senna
Michael Schumacher

http://www.motorsportmagazine.co.uk/2010/02/11/hall-of-fame-opens-with-a-bang/

I'm not sure how often new members will be added but it would be good to get your thoughts on who else should be included in what will be quite an exclusive club. It would be interesting to hear the argument as to why you think they should be included as well.

Graham Hill, Mario Andretti and Emerson Fittipaldi would be next up for me, along with Sir Jack Brabham and Colin Chapman. I'd hope none of those choices would need explanation.

I'm confused...

The article states: "Le Mans legend Jacky Ickx, McLaren boss Ron Dennis and American all-round hero Mario Andretti joined Brooks to complete the line-up of inaugural inductees. They were all there at the Roundhouse to accept the honour."

Oh right, now I get it.
There are 8 founding members as listed in FB's post.
And a further 4 inductees who are:

Tony Brooks
Jacky Ickx
Ron Dennis
Mario Andretti

So there are currently 12 members.

The problem with these things is who sets them up.

Look at the International Motorsports Hall of Fame for example.

It was founded in 1982 by Bill France, Sr., the founder of NASCAR and unsurprisingly, the majority of entries are American, with a large percentage being NASCAR drivers.

To get a truly international hall of fame, it would require a panel of judges from all over the world.

I expect as they want to make this new one an annual event, they have deliberately left off a lot of people who would automatically qualify, otherwise they'll have no show next year, or the year after...

For designers, they should include Colin Chapman and Jim Hall.

Drivers should include Sir Jack Brabham and Denis Hulme (who dominated the much-lamented CanAm). If Ickx is included, surely Kristensen should be.

I also question the inclusion of Ron Dennis. What over-arching achievements does he have that transcend those of other team principals? I would include the late Rob Walker and Ken Tyrrell before RD.

siffert_fan said:
I also question the inclusion of Ron Dennis. What over-arching achievements does he have that transcend those of other team principals? I would include the late Rob Walker and Ken Tyrrell before RD.
I though the same thing myself.

Frank Williams should also get a shout should he not if Ron Dennis is included?

Well, Ron has won more than Frank, or Ken, but of course results aren't necessarily the be-all and end-all. He did change the culture of F1, and certainly that of McLaren - for better or worse - but arguably that was going to happen anyway.

I wonder if rally drivers are going to be included?

I would certainly include Roger Penske before RD. His team has won in formula 1, Can Am, CART, IRL, Trans Am sedans, NASCAR and World Championship Sports Car (in its glory days, with both a Ferrari 512M and Lola T70 coupe against the likes of Ford GT40s and Porsche 917).

I know Motor Sport magazine doesn't like to dirty it's pages with those nasty two-wheeled things but at some point it would be good to include Valentino Rossi; every bit as succesful and dominant as Schumacher in his sport, and John Surtees for winner championships on two wheels and four.

Dunno about Doohan, he just used to sod off into the distance, at least in the period where Rossi was way better than everyone else he had the good grace to play with them before sodding off with a couple of laps to go!

Back
Top Bottom