Mobile Phones

Time to get a new phone, the old one is playing up and is too slow.

I've got it down to two.

Nokia lumia 820 or the Nokia Lumia 920.

Difference?

With Nokia Lumia 820, if I buy at an 02 store I will get 30% off it's a contract due to it's partnership with my work place.

The 920, however, can only be bought at EE (Orange/T-Mobile), but I will get 4G straightaway with it, and it's the better phone.

I'm thinking the 820s a no brainer, but I need to see if the 30% deal is still going.

I very much doubt you, or anyone else needs 4G. The reason it is being introduced is because the networks can get many more users on it than older techs. Five, ten or fifteen megabits download speed will really make little difference and the speed you get totally depends on coverage, of which there is very little.

My phone can do 7.2 megabit hsdpa but guess how fast it goes in real life? Anywhere within five miles of my home I don't get more than 100k. Remember that when thinking about 4g.

If you want high speed data, find a wifi hotspot.

I was thinking of new phone recently but have decided to hang on until BB10 is released at the end of January, not through some brand loyalty but more because having another option on the market is only going to help the buyer negotiate a good deal. Though I have to admit to not having been in contract with a mobile supplier for some time in the normal way as I have a carriage and data only deal and buy my phones outright because it works out cheaper that way when you don't want to upgrade every year just because you can...

I've never bought a phone on a contract, but the if not all then the majority of people that I know have a contracted phone. Is it the way to go?

Thing that annoys me is a £10 top up doesn't last you very long, fair enough you are starting to get free texts, but when you call someone, even voicemail, you get ripped off.

One of the main reasons why I'm thinking about the contract plus the 30% offer deal.

I have a contract just for data and voice etc without the supply of a phone, this way your line rental is a lot cheaper that it would be. I then buy phones as and when I choose to upgrade, more expensive for the phone but overall with the reduction of the contract value works out better. This only works out if you are not wanting to upgrade your phone every 12 months or can negotiate a better deal for additional lines (have the whole family on one contract) and cheaper additional phones...

what you need to do is work out how much the phone would cost without a contract deal (can often be found on Amazon as unlocked or sim-free phones) then look at the costs for a sim-only contract and work out the total cost over 2 years, may work out different to what you would get if you buy the phone and contract at the same time. Where it really starts to pay is most providers will give you discounts on the sim-only deals when you take more than one at a time...

Back
Top Bottom