First Entered 2010
Races Entered 19
Race Wins 0
Pole Positions 0
Fastest Laps 0
Driver World Championships 0
Constructor World Championships 0

Team History

The Mercedes team history splits into two parts. In 1954 the famous pre-war Silver Arrows entered the F1 world championship and recorded a 1-2 at their first race. Fangio went on to win the drivers championship that year and again in 1955. Mercedes withdrew at the end of the 1955 season after the accident which killed 80 spectators at Le Mans which involved one of their cars.

The current team entered F1 in 2010 after Mercedes bought Brawn Grand Prix. Brawn Grand Prix, winners of the Drivers Championship, with Jenson Button, and the constructor’s championship in 2009, grew out of the ashes of Honda’s F1 entry after Honda had withdrawn from F1 at the end of the 2008 season after only a single Grand Prix win for Button in Hungary 2006.

Prior to the Honda takeover in 2006 the team had raced under the name of British America racing which had acquired the assets and race entry of the Tyrrell F1 team in 1999. BAR competed in 118 races without a single victory. The high points for the team were 2 pole positions (both for Button – San Marino 2004 and Canada 2005) and 2nd in the constructors championship in 2004.

Tyrrell were amongst the most successful private F1 teams taking part in 463 Grands Prix, scoring 33 victories and 3 Drivers Championships, all with Jackie Stewart.

Having replaced Button and Barrichello with Nico Rosberg and 7 times WDC Michael Schumacher many expected great things of the new Mercedes team in 2010 but they had an indifferent season.

Rosberg managed 3 podiums for the team but Schumacher, coming back from retirement, struggled with the new cars, tyres and limited testing under the revised regulations. The team finished 4th in the Constructors Championship.

For 2011 Mercedes retain the same driver line up and are hoping for better things from their MGP W02 chassis.

Red Bull have been making improvements in pretty well all their car which have allowed them to get more grip and downforce. This has reduce the drag allowing them to go faster on the straights.

This seems to have upset Mercedes who has been feeding false news via Hamilton.

F1Brits_90 - from what i’ve read, the key thing is part of the design of the series - the manufacturers want freedom from using the Williams battery,.. they also want freedom to develop the cars rapidly - for the trickle down impacts to the road cars! Formula e essentially prevents the trickle down that competition is supposed to drive.

They mentioned yesterday that quitting Formula E means they will focus on Formula One so expect William's, Mclaren and Aston Martin to be filled with Merc junior drivers

They mentioned yesterday that quitting Formula E means they will focus on Formula One so expect William's, Mclaren and Aston Martin to be filled with Merc junior drivers
Exactly. So this confirms what I have been saying all along which is that Mercedes is fully committed to F1. Some of you guys had doubts following the Petronas buy-in.

well williams have said they dont need pay drivers anymore. but this cost cap might have taken back to late 90's hopefully where the pay driver is a luxury not a necessity. so i wouldnt rule out de vries or latifi coming or staying

but mercedes im still unsure at the long term. they only love F1 because they have been dominant winning every year, but lets say hamilton retired in 2023 & they are in the same position as ferrari currently. id wonder how much interested they would be in spending vast amounts they do

Mercedes want motorsport series that gives them global appeal...DTM will not do that for them. Formula E might not be a long term objective because its missing a big name driver so F1 it will be.

It might not be a full works team but I think supplying engines

Don't worry, there's always someone else who will publish a possible scandal.

I think he will not have any issues in this case.

the reason is that while the stock price is up 60% it is up almost exactly in line with indexes of automotive stock. In other words they haven’t had a windfall from the Mercedes deal, they have recovered similar to all automotive stocks since the dip due to Covid.

⁸As we don't have a Toto Wolff thread I thought I'd drop this here. It will be very interesting to see what come out of this.

from what ive read. the severity of trouble will depend on whether it happened in America or Europe. because apparently USA comes down very hard on this but europe are a bit more relaxed

but the allegations could be taken in dodgy way. because Wolff is a great businessman. surely he would ask questions about the future to figure out if the investment is a good idea. alot like Formula E. where Toto has turned up to the final 2 races just as the rumours began that Mercedes could pull & Toto might carry on in brawn GP way

Last edited:
from what ive read. the severity of trouble will depend on whether it happened in America or Europe. because apparently USA comes down very hard on this but europe are a bit more relaxed

but the allegations could be taken in dodgy way. because Wolff is a great businessman. surely he would ask questions about the future to figure out if the investment is a good idea. alot like Formula E. where Toto has turned up to the final 2 races just as the rumours began that Mercedes could pull & Toto might carry on in brawn GP way
Looking at the stock prices though, it is very hard to argue he had any inside information that would lead to a stock price lift. The stock price of AML (the gray line) has if anything underperformed the NASDAQ Global Automotive index (blue line). So the 60% price increase has nothing to do with Mercedes buying shares, and everything to do with the general recovery of the automotive sector since the shutdown of the global economy in March 2020.

1629759508434.png

Apparently Bottas told Finnish TV that Hamilton prefers him to be teammate . That's alright for Hamilton but looking at the long term picture for Mercedes now they want to commit to F1 they have got 3 or 4 young drivers waiting now so really there has to come a point that it will be the changing of the guard at Mercedes. I don't see someone saying Bottas is our future 🤔

im not surprised hamilton prefers him to be his teammate in the same was vettel wanted kimi as his teammate & Piquet didnt want schumacher , because why would you want anyone to challenge you & make you look bad

im not surprised hamilton prefers him to be his teammate in the same was vettel wanted kimi as his teammate & Piquet didnt want schumacher , because why would you want anyone to challenge you & make you look bad
The same that Schumacher did not want Raikkonen as his teammate..it has to happen at some point to Hamilton ..15 years after he was in Russell 's role at McLaren.

He can always retire! Just like Prost and Schumacher . This is one decision Mercedes must have the balls to do because their future in F1 is beyond Hamilton

i agree russell deserves that seat done wonders in the williams & Bottas is long overdue a change & bottas saying hamilton wants me as our teammate. is not complementary, the same as when football fans are chanting "can we play you every week"

i dont see him retiring under at least 2024

Back
Top Bottom