Current Max Verstappen

2015 sees the arrival of the youngest driver ever to sit in an F1 car. Max Verstappen was born on 30th September 1997 and, assuming he makes the grid in Australia, will only be 17 years and 167 days, beating Jaime Alguersuaris' record by 1 year and 323 days (assuming my maths is correct).

How can such a young man be ready for F1? As the son of former F1 driver Jos Verstappen Max started racing karts at 4½ years old. In 2006 he won the Belgian Minimax Championship in the KF5 category and in 2007 he won both the Dutch and Belgian titles as well as the Belgian Cadet Championship.

In 2009 he won the KF5 Flemish Championship and moved up to International Karting. In 2010 Max finished 2nd in the KF3 World Cup, won the Euro Series and the WSK World Series. In 2011 he again won the WSK World Series and moved up the KF2 class winning the WSK Master Series and the South Garda Winter Cup in 2012. In 2013, at 15 years of age, Verstappen won the World KZ Championship, which is highest level of karting.

For 2014 Max moved up to European Formula 3. He finished 3rd in the Championship winning 10 of the 33 races, more than those who finished above him in the title race. Max was recruited into the Red Bull Young Driver Programme in August 2014 and only 6 days later was announced as one of the drivers for Toro Rosso in F1 for 2015. Apparently he was also being courted by Mercedes for their young driver programme so you have to wonder how much the pull of an F1 seat at Toro Rosso drove the decision to go with Red Bull.

Having already taken part in 3 Friday sessions as a test driver Max Verstappen is the youngest person ever to take part in a Grand Prix weekend. If he acquits himself well during 2015 many will say it is an inspired decision. If he turns into a mobile chicane or treats F1 like a destruction derby I'm sure many questions will be asked as to why someone not even old enough to qualify for a driving licence in his home country is allowed to get behind the wheel of a car at the pinnacle of motorsport.

Future Champion? One season (or even one race) wonder? 2015 will be very interesting for Max Verstappen.

I'm sure this was a joke Max but come on

Max Verstappen: Red Bull driver says he 'might headbutt someone'

He needs to be careful with what he says as the media smells blood at moment and he's no longer immune to critiscm.

Also the best way to stop the questions is not a headbutt but just to stop crashing.

That comment from him really annoyed me. He's soundng like a silly petulant boy speaking like that. I was getting to be quite a fan of his but I'm rapidly going off him lately and an attitude like that will make that happen even faster.

Don't worry vintly I know on occasions I can be a complete and total 'outspoken' ;)

Same here RasputinLives :)

As I've always said, the worst thing for an F1 driver to be is dull.* If you see the video of the 'headbutt' comment, it's clear that at the beginning of the press conference Verstappen has already said how narked he is with all the questions about crashing. Yes of course he's laying himself open to goading, and that's what happens. 'Max, why do you keep crashing?' comes the question later on (brilliant question, well done for that guile and wit whoever you are). He pauses for quite a while, says 'I don't know', then comes the headbutt comment. Completely calm throughout, a considered response, and I don't think any journalists in the paddock are suddenly worried he might actually do something so stupid as to headbutt them. I know I'm a hopeless apologist for the young scamp but if he was boring, F1 it would be worse off for it.

*Ok the worst thing is slow, but next to slow is dull.

I don't disagree really vintly but I think if you've rode the media wave to the top you probably should be more humble about having some splash back when you get there.

Also it's probably not good for Max to be making physical violence jokes considering the history his father has.

Oh I don't want dull robotic drivers, there's nothing worse. But I also don't like drivers who think it's okay to speak that way in a press conference.
Obviously I don't expect Max to actually carry out his threat, but there is enough needless violence in the world without people like him (who probably has a younger fanbase) suggesting that if you don't like something physical violence is the answer. In fact I'd almost suggest the FIA should have words with for that remark. He should remember how lucky he is to be in the position he is at his age. If the worst he has to suffer are a few questions he doesn't like, he's not got much to complain about has he?

I will point out that I've liked Max since he came into the sport, I've actively defended him to friends of mine who don't, pointed out his age and lack of experience were the reasons for some of his more outrageous moves. That sort of attitude will rapidly put me off someone though. If it's a one off, fair enough, but if he keeps repeating it......

Interestingly Max did not have his entourage with him this weekend so no Jos in the Red Bull garage along with his mum and sister

Make what you want of it but it was noticeable he was lot more calmer this weekend and was just letting the driving do the talking

Quote "Max Verstappen silenced his "stupid critics" by securing a podium finish at the Canadian Grand Prix, claims Red Bull Boss chief Helmut Marko"

Until the next time it happens, and it will, I'm almost certain of it.

He only silenced his stupid critics then? Does that mean his clever and mediocre critics are still talking as loud as they want? :) Go away Helmut.

well Max has won zero races and is quite a bit behind his teammate in the driver's championship so not sure why Helmut is jumping on his high horse

It's the same reason as to why no one talks about Bottas after Hamilton finishes 5th in a race, despite the former finishing on the podium. Ever witnessed a cheerful Mr. Wolff or Mr. Lauda after a bad race for Hamilton, I haven't.

Well since Jos has not been to races , Max has done better except last week when he did show up... so maybe he has not been listening to his Dad and expecting his Dad to fight his corner which has helped him grow up a bit more . It certainly helped Hamilton in the long run when he did the same with his Dad.

I here to unburden some ill feeling I have towards a driver. I kind of hope Max Verstappen never gets a pole position. Not because I dislike Max or want him to fail but because the likes of David Croft, James Allen and all them Motorsport click baiters have been going on for so long about how he might become the youngest pole sitter ever that you just know they've already pre written their headlines and articles talking about it. I just don't want to enable lazy journalism.

Actually I hope Max doesn't get a pole until the day after he isn't the youngest and then goes on a run of pole positions but the falls one short of the record number of poles in a row. That'll learn em.

That will make Vettel happy his youngest pole sitter record is still in tact much like his other records which only Max is young enought to break them all

Back
Top Bottom